What Flea/tick/worm Product Do You Use?

So, I am about to run out of my current supply and am interested to hear what others use.

I'm a little torn between going with a flea/tick product and a separate worm product, or going with something that covers the whole she-bang.

Cost? effectiveness? ease of use? side effects?

I live in the midwest (WI) and currently order from Pet Shed, but am not opposed to changing.

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

Here in Georgia, I'm using Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, Interceptor for heartworm. (I get the former from Pet Shed, the latter from my vet.)

My guys are inside dogs. No fenced yard, so they don't get to to out and run around, roll in the grass, etc. Just nice, sedate leash walks.

The best advice I heard about flea and tick preventative is to ask your neighbors what's working for them. Critters in one area might build up a tolerance to one thing, so what works in one area might not be as effective in another.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11

Georgia here too, Northwest Mountains. I use Iverheart MAX (heartworm protection and other internal parasites, including tapeworms), and Adams flea and tick mist for flea and tick control. Both work well. I get the Iverheart Max online, with a script from the vet... wayyyy cheaper.

:wave Hi from just north of you, in Waunakee!

We use Frontline Plus for flea/tick and only apply it every three months. Gracie isn't out in the yard this summer (long story) and she doesn't frequent areas for ticks, so we only treat for fleas. I've been told time and time again that Frontline Plus is good for 3 months for fleas but only one month for ticks. We haven't had a flea problem yet. **knocking on wood**

For heartworm we use Interceptor, which I buy from KV Vet.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Guest kydie

Hi, from the mountains of western Pa. my dogs are in the woods all the time, I use K9 Advantix on all 4, with greyt success, I also use Heartguard for internal paresite control, they are always eating something nasty, they also receive the Lymes vaccine yearly

Edited by kydie

Ivomec for heartworm protection

Frontline Spray for Flea protection

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

FWIW, my vet has recently gone back to Frontline after trying Vectra 3D for a year. They said they had too many dogs who reacted to the Vectra, nothing serious, but still... Also, Vectra is toxic to cats.

I am trying to decide what to use. Have never had any flea or tick problems, but with ticks, I don't want to take a chance. I'm using Frontline, for now, and Heartgard for heartworms.

Guest PiagetsMom

Currently using Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks and Hearguard for heartworms.

Would like some advice/input regarding another flea and tick product, Comfortis manufactured by Lilly. I know several people who use this once a month pill instead of a topical application on their pups. However, they're not greyhounds, and I wonder if it's something that would be safe for our greys? Anyone know?

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest FordRacingRon

From the suburbs of Los Angeles.....we use Heartguard for the worms and Advantage for fleas. I changed to Advantage after 3 years of Frontline Plus because the Frontline stopped working and the Advantage does work. I have a Prentic collar for ticks but so far I haven't used it as there doesn't seem to be any ticks around. The Advantage and the tick collar add up to be cheaper the Frontline Plus.

Guest Energy11
Currently using Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks and Hearguard for heartworms.

Would like some advice/input regarding another flea and tick product, Comfortis manufactured by Lilly. I know several people who use this once a month pill instead of a topical application on their pups. However, they're not greyhounds, and I wonder if it's something that would be safe for our greys? Anyone know?

I got a definite NO from two vets and two rescue groups on Comfortis for greys. I would NOT use it, myself.

Guest hvacman250

I got a definite NO from two vets and two rescue groups on Comfortis for greys. I would NOT use it, myself.

I got the opposite, yes all around. Two vets, my personal who sees the most greys in my area, and the other vet is our groups vet. Ive been using it on my 4 for months with ZERO side effects. Best flea killer/prevention I have EVER seen. Its wonderful.

Ask your vet why. One case with a reaction in a grey does not constitute it being dangerous on all greys.

Edited by hvacman250

Guest Grhndad

Down here we use Frontling Plus and Interceptor year round. We get our Frontline from Petsmegastore in Au and the Interceptor from our vet.

Guest HersheysMom

I recently switched from Heartgard to Sentinel. Sentinel covers four types of intestinal worms, heartworm, and fleas. For ticks (and additional flea and mosquito protection) I use an herbal shampoo, conditioner and spray, herbal flea and tick collar, and Bug Off garlic by Springtime. Between both dogs, I've only found one tick attached this whole season.

Guest Energy11

I got the opposite, yes all around. Two vets, my personal who sees the most greys in my area, and the other vet is our groups vet. Ive been using it on my 4 for months with ZERO side effects. Best flea killer/prevention I have EVER seen. Its wonderful.

Ask your vet why. One case with a reaction in a grey does not constitute it being dangerous on all greys.

I have heard both pros and cons for the Confortis. If it works for yours, then, why not? I will ask, though!

I recently switched from Heartgard to Sentinel. Sentinel covers four types of intestinal worms, heartworm, and fleas. For ticks (and additional flea and mosquito protection) I use an herbal shampoo, conditioner and spray, herbal flea and tick collar, and Bug Off garlic by Springtime. Between both dogs, I've only found one tick attached this whole season.

I LOVE Sentinel, but cost wayyy tooo much for five greys, without working for a vet. I used it all the time in Florida.

I use Revolution, which covers fleas, and lots of different kinds of worms, including heart. I don't use anything for ticks - we live in the city and have never seen a tick on our dogs or cat, so I don't really worry about it.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I use Revolution, which covers fleas, and lots of different kinds of worms, including heart. I don't use anything for ticks - we live in the city and have never seen a tick on our dogs or cat, so I don't really worry about it.

Glad to see you are using Revolution--have you seen any side effects? I want to try it on my new boy--he might have skin mites--ugh.

Glad to see you are using Revolution--have you seen any side effects? I want to try it on my new boy--he might have skin mites--ugh.

I used Revolution on my hounds for many years and never had a problem. We don't have a flea problem here with fleas so I stopped using it and just use Preventic for ticks.

Here just south of you, redlady, we use Frontline Plus and Interceptor. We have a lot of wildlife and fleas and ticks both in the neighborhood. I use the Frontline monthly @ April-October, @ every other month thru the cooler months; Interceptor year round.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11
I'm in Iowa, use Frontline Plus and Sentinel (what my vet gave me . . . I didn't research the options extensively, but these both seem like excellent products).

Sentinel ROCKS! I never, ever had fleas, and THAT was in Central Florida. Just cannot afford it for five now that I don't work for a vet :-(( Never used Frontline with it ... didn't need to.

Guest WhiteWave

Ivomec and pyrantel once a month same as heartguard plus.

Panacur once or twice a year since dogs are exposed to other dogs on a regular basis- a more broad spectrum wormer even though we have always been negative on fecals.

Drontal as needed for tapeworm.

We rotate between Frontline and Advantix for fleas and ticks. Advantix seems to work better for us especially since my roommate with cats moved. I always worried about making the cats sick.

Guest KreweOfRoo

I use Comfortis on all 8 of my greyhounds (ranging in age from 3-13) and my 4 little dogs (even one that has a seizure disorder) and never have had an issue. It works amazingly well. Frontline and Frontline Plus both fail on me. I am unlucky enough to have coyotes all around me that keep fleas popping up all year round. Luckily, no ticks.

Interceptor for heartworm.

Drontal when needed for tapes.

No problems at all. In fact, a few years ago, my mother adopted a dog who ended up having mange, and the vet put Argos on Revolution to prevent him from contracting it - we gave it to him every 2 weeks for 2 months, which is a very large dose, but had no problems at all.

I've considered looking into some sort of a tick preventive, but haven't really done anything.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I like Sentinel.

When I need to watch costs, I get the MultiGuard product from pets-megastore.com.au

The only difference is that Ivermectin is the heartworm protectant in the Multiguard. Everything else is the same as Sentinel.

You can also order a combo of HeartGuard and ProFen (which is their Program for the US market) fairly inexpensively.

I've never had any problem with these products, they offer free shipping sometimes and get everything to you relatively quickly.

A friend of mine is using Comfortis on her greys and doing fine with it but I'm going to take a wait and see with that one.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16