Melatonin For Garth's Anxiety

I know I probably missed 30 posts on this subject 2 weeks ago.

Garth really freaked out over 4th of July. I was thinking of getting some Melatonin. Has anyone had luck with it. Garth is approx. 75 pounds. How much is correct amount.

Will call vet but wanted the experienced minds at GT to weigh in. Thanks.

Guest Energy11

I tried Melatonin, with NO luck. I like either the new Rescue Remedy, without alcohol, OR my all time favorite, Valium, 5 mg, when thunder or fireworks are on the way! I do NOT mix them, though. D

Guest KyGrey

Melatonin or Benedryl are both safe to use for storm and anxiety phobias. I have used both but I think I prefer the melatonin. I find it just takes the edge off so Molly is not barking her head off. What I have I bought at the Dollar Store and it is 3 mg. I give one or two and it's just enough for Molly. If it gets really bad I give her one at a later time. She is about 54 lbs. and is 8 yrs old.

I'm not sure what a maximum dose is that you could give.

Edited by KyGrey

Melatonin or Benedryl are both safe to use for storm and anxiety phobias. I have used both but I think I prefer the melatonin. I find it just takes the edge off so Molly is not barking her head off. What I have I bought at the Dollar Store and it is 3 mg. I give one or two and it's just enough for Molly. If it gets really bad I give her one at a later time. She is about 54 lbs. and is 8 yrs old.

Ok. I will email vet and check with her. I read that several GTers had good luck with it and wanted to get some for next round of storms I'm sure we'll be having. Thank you.

Wayne has a solution to your problem without the use of drugs. Move that boy out here to the desert, we don't have storms here :lol

Problem solved!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest KyGrey

Ok. I will email vet and check with her. I read that several GTers had good luck with it and wanted to get some for next round of storms I'm sure we'll be having. Thank you.

Lee Lee used to be very storm-phobic when he came to live when me. Another thing I found that helped him was to put a t-shirt on him. It helps cut down on the static electricity in the air.

I do hope you find an answer. It's so hard to see them all worked up like that. :grouphug

Guest Energy11
Wayne has a solution to your problem without the use of drugs. Move that boy out here to the desert, we don't have storms here :lol

Problem solved!

Man! You have NO thunderstorms and NO ticks! How cool! :lol

Lee Lee used to be very storm-phobic when he came to live when me. Another thing I found that helped him was to put a t-shirt on him. It helps cut down on the static electricity in the air.

I do hope you find an answer. It's so hard to see them all worked up like that. :grouphug

WE use Ts on Cari and Staggerlee all the time for storms and noise! Work Greyt, look cute!

Guest KyGrey

Problem solved!

No fair!!! :lol

I haven't found it particularly helpful for Betsy, but Benadryl doesn't work on her either.

You can give quite a bit according to PetPlace.com, "In large dogs, melatonin is dosed at 3 to 9 mg dog orally whenever necessary up to three times a day." Here's the article Link.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest goofydog

I ended up giving Get Em a 5mg melatonin at 2 this morning because of bad storms rolling through. He is 7 y/o and ~73 pounds.

Problem solved!

I so wish that was an option. He would love the desert.

I keep forgetting about the t-shirt idea. GREAT POINT - thank you!

Guest HersheysMom

I took Sonie in to a holistic vet last week for a consult. She has severe general anxiety, but it can also be worsened and triggered by certain events. One of the things he recommended was 2-4 mg of Melatonin twice daily. I hope that helps. (I cannot comment - we haven't tried it yet as there were several recommendations and we started with a few other things first)

Have you tried DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) spray?

Gracie is a quivering, shivering, panting mess on the 4th without Melatonin. I give 3 mg starting a few days before the 4th to cover the random pops and booms. On the day itself I give 3 mg, then another 3 mg about 2 hours later and the final 3 after sunset. She stays in the bedroom with a fan a music on, but is MUCH calmer and more comfortable.

We normally don't have thunderstorms but the weatherman predicted one earlier this year so I gave Gracie 6 mg: she curled up and slept thru it.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014