Fish Oil

Guest oldNELLIE

Guest oldNELLIE

Hey everyone!

I want to start adding fish oil to Nellie's diet so I have been looking on-line and I had no idea there are so many choices! Does it matter what kind of fish oil she gets? One site I have used before for other things is having a special on Norwegian Salmon oil...Is this an okay option?

Also, are there health concerns? She is hypothyroid, does that matter? And how much do you give a day? One pill in each meal? That would be 3 for Nellie.

Guest BlackandBrindle

We use Grizzly Salmon Oil. The dogs love it, their coats are great, and Gter Fritofeet carries the larger size. For two pups who get the oil on almost every evening meal, we probably only have to order twice or three times a year. :)

http://www.crazyforcollars.com is the link :)

Guest oldNELLIE
I just use Fish Oil from Swansons... they are a GREAT source for vitamins and supplements!

If you search for fish oil there are 114 items to choose from! Cod oil, Virgin Salmon...

Guest Energy11
I just use Fish Oil from Swansons... they are a GREAT source for vitamins and supplements!

If you search for fish oil there are 114 items to choose from! Cod oil, Virgin Salmon...

I think most people use the Salmon oil ...

We use Fish Oil, I buy it at Costco, that's the cheapest. For maximum effect most hounds should get 4,000 mg. per day. You might want to start out slow though, like one a day for a week and then 2 a day for a week and so on or you might have problems with the big D.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11
We use Fish Oil, I buy it at Costco, that's the cheapest. For maximum effect most hounds should get 4,000 mg. per day. You might want to start out slow though, like one a day for a week and then 2 a day for a week and so on or you might have problems with the big D.

I SOOO WISH we had Costco nearby! There IS one in Alpheretta, GA, but that is about 1.5 hours away!!! MIGHT be worth the trip!

Can you just buy the stuff that humans use? Because walmart or costco would be great if so!

Yes, that's what I use on my dogs. I think a huge bottle at Costco is between $7.00 & 8.00.

edited to add: They come in 1,000 mg. capsules so 4 a day would do it. If you find you dog doesn't do well on that many you can cut the dose in half.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest RocketDog

Another vote for the Costco caps here. We've used a few different brands of capsules and ended up going back to the Kirkland/Costco ones. I thought about doing the pump-style stuff, but since I occasionally take the fish oil myself the Kirkland ones are handier. No way I'm helping myself to a pump-shot of oil :P

Guest Ashley
Can you just buy the stuff that humans use? Because walmart or costco would be great if so!

Yes, that's what I use on my dogs. I think a huge bottle at Costco is between $7.00 & 8.00.

edited to add: They come in 1,000 mg. capsules so 4 a day would do it. If you find you dog doesn't do well on that many you can cut the dose in half.

Yay for Costco! How would I know if the fish oil was the culprit? Lethargy? Loss of appetite?

Guest brady_the_greyt

We just buy the 1000mg supplement from CVS. Brady gets one with his breakfast and one with his dinner and he has a very soft coat and his bad dandruff is gone.

Yay for Costco! How would I know if the fish oil was the culprit? Lethargy? Loss of appetite?

If they're reacting to the fish oil they'll get the runs............big time, that's why I always suggest that new people putting dogs on it for the first time start out slowly, let the dogs systems get used to it. So start with 1 1000 mg. capsule once a day for the first week, the next week give them 1 two times a day, the 3rd week you can give 2 in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m. and by the forth week you can give 2 in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m. without giving them them runs. If they still have runny pooh you can cut the dose in half, they're still getting the good benefits of the fish oil.

We use Fish Oil, I buy it at Costco, that's the cheapest. For maximum effect most hounds should get 4,000 mg. per day.

:nod Me, too! It's great when they go on sale and have coupons for them. I loaded up on them the last time the coupon was out.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Ashley

If they're reacting to the fish oil they'll get the runs............big time, that's why I always suggest that new people putting dogs on it for the first time start out slowly, let the dogs systems get used to it. So start with 1 1000 mg. capsule once a day for the first week, the next week give them 1 two times a day, the 3rd week you can give 2 in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m. and by the forth week you can give 2 in the a.m. and 2 in the p.m. without giving them them runs. If they still have runny pooh you can cut the dose in half, they're still getting the good benefits of the fish oil.

Fantastic, thank you for the schedule! I will start her on it this weekend :)

Another vote for Grizzly Salmon Oil! This stuff has made a HUGE difference to Merlin's coat. When we adopted him, in fact even for a good while after we adopted him, his coat was really rough and his skin was very dry. Since we've been giving him Grizzly Salmon Oil, his coat is just beautiful, and unbelievably soft. :)

We started giving it to Sagan recently too, and his coat is getting softer too. He's itching a lot less too (granted it's much more humid out now than in the winter, but even taking that into account the difference is tangible).

It took about 2-4 weeks to start seeing results.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Not all Fish Oils are created equal.

Make sure you are getting high quality, it states what is in it, and the ratio of Omega 3/6's is good for a dog. Also review the mg and how many pills you need to give daily for it to do any good. I give around 2000- 3000 mgs a day.

I've found Grizzly Salmon Oil to be one of the highest quality, with the correct ratios of Omega 3/6's.

One place you can purchase is at Greyhound Gang, and proceeds go back to help hounds.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

lakse kronche salmon oil, fantastic. i buy it on line, huge jug which last 1/2 year.

i give my 66lb black/mahogny female and 75lb red fawn male, 4 squirts each. the black dogs tend to have a different coat w/ drier skin. she shines like a mirror!

Guest myGreyHeart
I've heard the best things about Grizzly Salmon Oil and I've seen it on the Greyhound Gang site. When Rosie's supplement gets close to half gone, I'm going to order them together :)