Fish Oil Indefinitely?

Guest chaoran22

Guest chaoran22

I was wondering if the dogs have to stay indefinitely on fish oil. I know there's no harm in just giving it to them forever but could I take my girl off of it once her hair grows back (it's growing all over her bald spots - so exciting!) or will she start to become bald again if I take her off? Has anyone tried?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have noticed that my boy's coat is a bit duller, more shedding and even a little brown sneaking in, since I have stopped the fish oil pills for about a month. I have started up with the pills again and wont stop.

Chad

Holly will always be on it. It's not just for their coat, it's good for them in general :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest chaoran22

Thanks. I was thinking of switching to flaxseed oil. i have her on high potency fish oil now b/c that jumpstarted her coat growing back. my vet said once it grows back we can switch back to regular fish oil but i was hoping to switch to flaxseed after we're done with this high potency stuff but i don't want her hair to get all sparse again. i'll ask my vet too but wanted to see greytalkers' experience.

Consider staying on the Omega 3s for the benefits to the joints. It's an anti-inflammatory, good for heart health and can be helpful in managing allergies. A nicer coat is just a side benefit.

Also, DHA and DPA are readily available in fish oil, but need to be converted from ALA in flaxseed oil. Many dogs can not effectively convert it, so fish oil is generally a better choice.

Edited by Cynthia

We alternate fish oil and flax seed oil

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Guest greytkidsmom

Fish oil has so many beneficial properties - natural anti-inflammatory, good for the skin/hair, prevents cardiovascular disease, etc, etc. As long as your pup tolerates it, why not continue it? Flax requires conversion into EPA and DHA by an enzyme that dogs (and people) don't always have. Fish oil is already converted into EPA and DHA and as a result is really the better choice for omega-3 therapy.

It is really good for people too BTW.

Guest RocketDog

I consider omega supplements like fish oil to be a part of 'maintenance' for a healthy houndie. We use DocsBlend Hair of the Dog, it's a powdered supplement that contains fish/flax and a bunch of other stuff. It's actually helped my half-bald dogs grow in some nice plush coat, and their bald spots even have a bit of 'stubble' now. Besides the coat benefits, omega fatty acids are really good for joint health, and like some other posters have mentioned they do have anti-inflammatory properties as well.

I take fish/flax/borage oil capsules daily too, and I do notice an improvement in MY skin and hair, as well as my mental clarity.

Guest chaoran22

thanks for the interesting info. i knew i had heard something about flaxseed not being as effective but couldn't remember why. RocketDog - have you tried the high potency stuff? When we were on regular fish oil, her coat came in thicker and she had stubble on the bald spots (we were doing 4000mg a day!) but that was the extent of it. My vet then prescribed (I think you can get it online too but it was actually cheaper at my vet's office) 3V Snip Tips which is apparently the highest potency approved available b/c with the regular stuff, I guess they actually absorb very little of it even though we were giving her so much every day, and I'm not exaggerating when I say, a week after she's been on the high potency stuff, she has long fuzz all over her, not just stubble. it's amazing. it makes her poops a little bit soft (but not bad at all) so i won't keep her on the high potency stuff once that bottle is done, but it really works very well to jumpstart skin/hair growth. my girl was having major skin flaking issues (my vet compared it to snake skin shedding) so that was the main reason we started the high potency stuff, but the gorgeous hair growth has been a nice side effect.

Oils are good for dogs. You, too :colgate . A few ways Omega 3/6 oils can help:

- helps maintain healthy skin

- supports the immune system

- helps lower inflammation

- encourages a better appetite

I alternate (Evening Primrose, Generic Fish Oil, Borage etc) , though 10 out of 12 months of the year, my staple is Grizzly Salmon Oil. I've found it to be one of the best out there.

Easy to give - just three pumps on food, and I've never had a dog not want it on his/her food.

Just got a testimonial about hair growing back on it. I like it for its anti-inflammatory and immune system properties.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Siriusly
I alternate (Evening Primrose, Generic Fish Oil, Borage etc) , though 10 out of 12 months of the year, my staple is Grizzly Salmon Oil. I've found it to be one of the best out there.

Easy to give - just three pumps on food, and I've never had a dog not want it on his/her food.

Just got a testimonial about hair growing back on it. I like it for its anti-inflammatory and immune system properties.

I gave that to my blue foster who had really dry skin and fur. The regular stuff didn't cut it but that worked miracles. She was all shiny and her fur was growing in well and was nice and soft when she left my house.

Ryan gets Derm Caps per our old vet since it has both Omega 3s and 6s in the ratio he needs for his issues.

I get them from EntirelyPets.com

It hasn't ever really helped with his coat/skin... he's flaky and naked and getting more naked each day.

I don't give Flax seed oil to my dog because it can have an effect on "bleeding time", so I stick with fish oil for them.

For myself, I take the flax seed oil but I'm careful if I have to take aspirin or anything else that can affect bleeding.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover
I don't give Flax seed oil to my dog because it can have an effect on "bleeding time", so I stick with fish oil for them.

For myself, I take the flax seed oil but I'm careful if I have to take aspirin or anything else that can affect bleeding.

Bleeding time? Are you refering to the dogs "cycle"? If so, every x-racer that is adopted is already fixed so that is not an issue. If that is not what you meant, could you explain, I dont understand what you mean by "bleeding time". Thanks.

bleeding time - much research seems to focus on diabetes in humans

here's a quick blurb about bleeding time on humans....

Ingesting too much of anything—including water!—can cause problems. Medline recommends that “Patients taking more than 3 grams of omega-3 fatty acids from supplements should do so only under a physician’s care.”

Concerning the potential impact of high dosages, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) say:

“Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids (‘Eskimo’ amounts) may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke. High doses have also been associated with nosebleed and blood in the urine. Fish oils appear to decrease platelet aggregation and prolong bleeding time, increase fibrinolysis (breaking down of blood clots), and may reduce von Willebrand factor.”

Bleeding time? Are you refering to the dogs "cycle"? If so, every x-racer that is adopted is already fixed so that is not an issue. If that is not what you meant, could you explain, I dont understand what you mean by "bleeding time". Thanks.

OOPs - should have explained that better .... sorry

"Bleeding time" refers to the amount of time that it takes someone to stop bleeding after getting a cut. When someone is on aspirin therapy, their bleeding time is typically increased and one common occurrence may be that they bruise easily. Many people refer to this as "platelets that are less sticky". If someone is on Flax seed oil, their bleeding time is also increased. But, as Trudy correctly points out, research is now indicating that this also happens with fish oil.

So with greyhounds that may run lower values of platelets anyway, care should be taken with the amount of flaxseed oil (fish oil also) that is being given. If your dog is going in for surgery, they should probably stop the flax seed oil at least 10 days before (check with vet). they should be able to check this with a lab tests -- I believe they are called PT and PTT.

Trudy - thank you for correction on the fish oil!