Laser Treatments?

My Shadow has been getting more and more uncomfortable of late. I took him in to the vet in May and we both feel he has arthritis (he also has mild LS, which I found out last week and will be working with the vet to treat as well). The vet put him on Dasuquin daily and Meloxicam as-needed. Well, he needs it more often than not.

The vet is now suggesting laser treatment. 6 treatments (one every other day) then on an as-needed basis. The laser is fairly new for them but they have been getting great results. I've signed Shadow up and we start on Monday. We'll be concentrating on the lower back and hips.

I should say that, on top of the medications, he gets regular chiropractice and acupuncture. Although it helps greatly, it doesn't help completely and the treatments aren't lasting as long lately. I'll talk to my acupuncture vet and wouldn't stop unless she feels they are unnecessary with the laser treatment.

Has anyone else done laser treatments? Do you feel it helped?

Thanks!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Loca had a laser treatment shortly before she passed away. It seemed to make her worse, but she was misdiagnosed to begin with.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

My 11 year old whippet Rickie has some arthritis in his leg joints for which we have been doing laser treatments, underwater treadmill walking, and range of motion exercises. We've never had any negative side effect from the laser treatments and find they help with his stiffness and occasional lameness. We started out 2 - 3 times per week, then weekly, and now we go every couple of weeks, more often if I think he needs it.

Please let us know what your experience is.

Sutra (11 years old) injured both of his knees and received a "6-pack" (3 treatments one week, two the next, and one the following week) for each knee. His right knee was in terrible shape when I took him in - I carried him into the vet's office for his first treatment - and he TROTTED out of the vet's office half an hour later (he had a chiro adjustment that day as well as the therapy to the knee). A week later he injured the left knee, and the right knee was well enough to support him and get him through the healing of the left.

I'm a believer. Sutra now RUNS in the yard with the other dogs like a pup :wub: Do it. You won't regret it.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

There was a vet who spoke at the Expo in Raynham--at the vets' lectures, not the ones for owners--who spoke about the use of a particular kind of lasers. I know Dr. Couto was there, so he could give you some info, but I don't think it's something he'd used before (at least that type of laser). Linda, who runs the Expo, could probably give you the speaker's name.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04