Lilly's Wound Will Not Heal?

Guest 3greysinPA

Guest TurnerMiller01

hi there,

Last week I mentioned that Lilly had a wound on the inner aspect of her right back leg... it is not large.. it is only maybe 1/2 inch long by 1/4 inch wide...

Dont know how she did it.. could have been outside playin in the yard,, not sure at this point.. however the vet put silver sulfadine on it and wrapped it and said to keep it wrapped for a few days.. this was Thursday.. it stayed wrapped till Saturday.. I had to re-wrap it Saturday night.. because she licked the scab off again... So, now today is Wednesday.. the dressing was coming off and looking dingy.. so, i took off the dressing... and their was a nice scab on it...

Well.. in a matter of 5 mins... She had already licked the scab off and it was bleeding again...

So, i put some antibiotic ointment on it.. and re - wrapped it again...

Does anyone have any other suggestions to get this to heal?

i thank you and Lilly thanks you.. :paw:bighug

Guest TurnerMiller01

So, you spray the hose on the wound for 5 - 10 mins at a shot?

Forgive me if my question sounds dumb... i just want to make sure that I am understanding you correctly?

Men's drawstring pj pants--their tail can go through the "vent" and the waist can be cinched small enough to fit their wasp waist. Cuff and safety pin the legs. This way the scab has air to breathe but she can't get at it to lick it. Sometimes these scrapes can take very long to heal. Hugs.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Guest kbone

Andrew had a cut on his back leg recently, he would not stop licking it. I tried wrapping it. When I wasn't looking he would eat through the wrapping. Put kids pajama bottoms on him. This worked for a couple of days and then he started gnawing and licking through the pajamas. Put a muzzle on and he would just lick through that. So I finally wrapped the front of the muzzle with duct tape and he wore that for almost a week until his scab fell off!

Yeah- if it's a matter of getting a nice scab but the dog not leaving it alone, it's simply a matter of protecting the wound for another few days. The pants would work well in this case, I bet. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Sometimes Bitter Yuck is helpful. It's a water-based spray, so it doesn't burn or do any harm. But the taste isn't as awful as Bitter Apple (which is alcohol-based, so don't use it); some dogs aren't deterred by the Bitter Yuck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'd keep going with the ssd (great stuff) and the bandage. Change bandage every couple days or as needed (if it gets dirty, wet, etc.). Leave it bandaged -- or try the pants idea -- until the scab falls off.

My Batman was terrible about picking at things if they weren't bandaged. He wore a bandaid on his butt for a week once. Made the neighborhood kids giggle, which he loved, and his scrape healed nicely.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

Pants. I put kids' sweatpants on mine, legs cut short and a hole for the tail. I think mine are about size 8 or 9. You can get them at Goodwill for very little this time of year. Don't forget to take them off when she goes out for potty!

Guest greytloves

love, love, LOVE water therapy

It really works miracles!

besides, its cheap, its easy, they can't lick it off and I could go on.

I always use neosporin. When our male greyhound had his amputation and would not let the stitches alone we use men's briefs ! the ones with the longer legs. We would put them on him, just like a person, with his tail out the (proper opening) and then used vet tape to keep them in place. They left plently of air get to the stitches but because of the length of the briefs he couldn't lick them. Worked very well, and he didn't seem too-o-o-o- ashamed to be seen in them. When he went to the vets' the vet tech said we should have looked for spider man briefs---that would have been a hoot !

Guest TurnerMiller01

thank you for the all the replies...much appreciate the help..

thank you..

i was trying to get back to this sooner... but we had catastophe after catastrophe here tonight...

UGH....

KIDS....

UGH.... sometimes i just want to have hounds.....LOL :lol

Guest longdogs

In an ideal world, all you would do is leave it alone and keep it clean. Any of the suggestions above that keep it loosely covered but stop her messing with it will work. If she's persistent, that might mean a protective collar. The thing to avoid is plastering the wound with some sort of salve and wrapping it tightly. Air has to get to it.

You may be sorted with this now but just in case, the best thing I have ever found for healing a wound was COLLOIDAL SILVER which was recommended to me by my vet when angel Radar had a surgery wound that wouldn't heal (because Radar kept removing the stitches :rolleyes:)

It can be purchased in bottle with a rubber dropper top and you just drop a few...drops (:rolleyes:) of the liquid onto the wound a couple of times a day. With Radars wound, which had been open for a good couple of weeks, it healed within a few days. It was fabulous.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest MyBoys

I swear by EMT spray or ointment, I have never used anything that worked as well as this. I think there must be something in that numbs the area also because once I put it on they seem to leave the area alone and within a day or so the wound is healing.

Guest TurnerMiller01
I swear by EMT spray or ointment, I have never used anything that worked as well as this. I think there must be something in that numbs the area also because once I put it on they seem to leave the area alone and within a day or so the wound is healing.

So, where could i buy the EMT spray ??

or how about the colloidal silver???

At a local pharmacy??

Guest MyBoys

I order the EMT on Amazon, you could order it and have it shipped in a day. Just Type in EMT when you get on Amazon and a number of place come up.

Guest Ohiogreymom

So, where could i buy the EMT spray ??

or how about the colloidal silver???

At a local pharmacy??

I don't know about the silver, but I LOVE Emt Gel. Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? Any place that sells horse supplies should carry it.