Totally Hairless!

Guest Maddyr24

Guest Maddyr24

Hello everyone,

When we adopted Sagan (3 months ago), he was totally hairless (not even fuzz!) on the back of his thighs, stomach, and small area under his throat. I thought that he would eventually start to re-grow his hair…and I think when we got him in April, it started to…but now, I noticed that his hair is actually getting thinner on the back of his thighs!

His coat looks pretty good otherwise – glossy, no dandruff – but I’m quite alarmed at his thinning hair! I read elsewhere on this forum that some dogs tend to go bald for the summer. I am hoping that is whats up with Sagan. I have a vet visit scheduled on Monday, but any thoughts?

I have him on NB Duck and Potato and started him on some fish oil supplements.

Thanks everyone!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Have the vet do a thorough thyroid test. Spencer had bald thighs for a long time but he's on thyroid meds now and he's pretty well covered up the bald spots.

Guest twhitehouse

Join the hairless dog club!! Lexi is very bald...no hair on thighs, belly, neck, sides...Even the hair she does have is very thin.

She doesn't have any other symptoms of thyroid problems, but we are going to the vet soon and I might ask to have it checked anyway. I have a feeling she's just bald and always will be though.

Here's my baldy:

Bare belly, chest and neck-

IMG_1529.jpg

Bare butt-

IMG_1333.jpg

Guest Maddyr24

When we got him, the adoption center said he didn't have a thyroid problem. Maybe they just misdiagnosed? I'll get a panel and see what happens.

Goldie finally grew hair there after a year or two or three? It takes a while sometimes and sometimes they just stay bald. A very well regarded vet told me that sometimes melatonin helps. Didn't make much sense to me but that is what he said.

Kaylee came to us bald on belly and butt, and has stayed that way. She's also got a crop of blackheads on her belly that we can never get rid of either.

1440109633_aec35734b4_b.jpg

Guest Maddyr24
Join the hairless dog club!! Lexi is very bald...no hair on thighs, belly, neck, sides...Even the hair she does have is very thin.

She doesn't have any other symptoms of thyroid problems, but we are going to the vet soon and I might ask to have it checked anyway. I have a feeling she's just bald and always will be though.

Here's my baldy:

Bare belly, chest and neck-

IMG_1529.jpg

Bare butt-

IMG_1333.jpg

those are GREYT photos!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Kaylee came to us bald on belly and butt, and has stayed that way. She's also got a crop of blackheads on her belly that we can never get rid of either.

1440109633_aec35734b4_b.jpg

what a cute photo!

If he's getting bald in the classic greyhound places -- thighs, underside of neck, tummy -- I wouldn't bother with a vet appointment or a thyroid panel unless he has some other symptom. He's a greyhound, and many of them are bald in those areas -- some all the time, some seasonally, some when they're regularly getting more exercise. Nothing pathological about it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MichelleRenee

This is one of the greatest greyhound mysteries. (Gray hairs at age 2 is another) lol.

We tested one of our racers who had a bald belly, eyebrows, knuckles, and toosh. Nothing was wrong what-so-ever.

BTW, here is Zema showing off her summer butt a few years back. Zema does not have low thyroid.

z_attention_cpr.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Maddy,

Aquitaine only started to grow peach fuzz on her butt this past winter. She also had a bare spot on her throat that filled in over the past few months. Not sure if that is from switching to the harness from the collar or not. She still has bare spots though. If it ever stops raining and we can see you again, feel free to check out her newly fuzzy hind end!

Carron

Guest D_MansMommy

Donovan has been bald on his belly and thighs since we adopted at 2 years old seven years ago. He's fine. Some pups are just baldies. TC on the other hand has fur on his belly and thighs :dunno A vet check can't hurt just to be sure :)

Guest greytvolunteer

If a grey is hypothyroid, his fur will thin out all over-not just in the normal bald spots a grey has. We had a grey at the kennel, besides his beautiful shiny black hair thinning, had sores like bedsores on the bony parts of his legs. After being on thyroid pills for 3 months, his hair is filling in (although not his butt) and his sores have healed.

Guest argolola

What a cutie pie!

Don't feel bad. My boy is bald on his booty, his neck, ears and belly. I put both pups on EicosaDerm, which is a miracle. My girl's hair (formerly bald) on her thighs is almost long enough to braid...lol.

Meet Teddy

sept10002.jpg

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Maddyr24
BTW, here is Zema showing off her summer butt a few years back. Zema does not have low thyroid.

z_attention_cpr.jpg

Hahah! Yes! That is exactly what Sagan looks like! His coat is very thick, but man does he like to show off his chiseled thighs ;)

Guest RocketDog

Both of mine are bald from neck to butt, and have been since we adopted them almost two years ago. Rocket grew some patchy butt-fuzz his first winter here, but promptly lost it the following summer. They are both in great condition and healthy as can be, so I write the hair off as a 'greyhound' thing. I do supplement with DocsBlend Hair of the Dog and I've seen a bit of regrowth on Rocket, plus the coat they do have is plush and shiny. Can't hurt, I figure!

• 1 month later...
Guest cassie234
If a grey is hypothyroid, his fur will thin out all over-not just in the normal bald spots a grey has. We had a grey at the kennel, besides his beautiful shiny black hair thinning, had sores like bedsores on the bony parts of his legs. After being on thyroid pills for 3 months, his hair is filling in (although not his butt) and his sores have healed.

i dont have much experience with greys as ive only just rehomed one, but there is a man who lives near me and he has 3 healthy greys, and they are bald.....he said that they are because they sat on nylon or polyester? im not sure what one.....but he said that the fur may grow back but most likely it wont :-)

Rocketdog mentioned Docs Hair of the Dog. I also use it on my three black beauties. Their coats are beautiful, shiny. My grey is naked too on the neck, chest, belly, butt, thighs but what hair she does have is shiny black. P.S. we have never told her that her face is grey and that she is bald so don't say anything. She is 8 now but she thinks she looks just like she did when she came off the race track. P.S. We have also covered all the mirrors in the house so she does not see her reflection. :rolleyes:

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg