Drain Tube In Stitched Bite Mark

Dylan bit Daisy in the thigh 2 weeks ago. The vet in Chicago (we were visiting) stitched her up but didn't shave around the wound. Evidentally, it got an abcess, opened up and we were trying to heal the wound with Granulex. I couldn't take it anymore, so I brought her to a vet here in MI (where we live) and he sedated her, trimmed the edges, cleaned up the wound, restitched and put a drain in. My concern is, will the hole from the drain heal up? Is a drain normal procedure??

The drain will allow the wound to--well, drain :) Gotta let the nasties out otherwise the bacteria will have a field day and form an abcess. You actually want the area around the drain to stay open--did they ask you to clean or flush the area? Once the drain is removed you'll be surprised how fast it will close up.

Yes, the drain hole will heal up and probably quite nicely.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Yes, the drain is a GOOD thing, and will help the healing process greatly! You will be surprized how fast things will clear up.

I cannot believe the vet in Chicago didn't shave the bite area! Good Luck with this!

The drain will allow the wound to--well, drain :) Gotta let the nasties out otherwise the bacteria will have a field day and form an abcess. You actually want the area around the drain to stay open--did they ask you to clean or flush the area? Once the drain is removed you'll be surprised how fast it will close up.

They told me to put warm compresses on the drain and to keep the area clean. Any other advise??

Guest Energy11

They told me to put warm compresses on the drain and to keep the area clean. Any other advise??

No..just the compresses and keeping the area around the drain, sounds like the right thing to do! I haven't had any dogs with drains, but have seen numerous ones when I worked for the vets in Florida! Good Luck.

Guest sirsmom

Our cat had an abscess a few years ago and also had the tube inserted. She did fine with no other problems and everything healed.

We've dealt with drains twice. Both times, we flushed the drain hole (around the drain, not in the drain) with dilute betadine once each day. We used a syringe, put the tip between the drain and the skin, and plunged away. I also cleaned it with peroxide every other day and kept it dry.

Sending happy healing thoughts!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest CDNgreys

Been there, done that and not to worry there should be absolutely no indication the drain was ever there.

I 'dabbed' Gunner's drain area with a warm cloth. Get well soon to Daisy.

gunnerstitches2.jpg

as you can see in this pic the drain is doing it's job and was ready for a wet cloth. Once the fur grew back you'd never know this ever happened.

Edited by CDNgreys

unfortunatly I have lots of drain exp. what your doing is all i did. and yep it heals nicely

edited to add. I always hate how much they shave but hearing your story im glad they do

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Be careful using the betadine as its good for cleaning but is not good to leave in the wound. Breaks down the tissue.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Usually don't leave the drain in for the whole healing process but your vet should have gone over that. Vet will take it out at appropriate time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.