My Grey Ran Too Much At The Dog Park And Is Sick...

Guest Hawkeye

i have to agree with the vet recommendations. it she was only tired from running, she would have recovered by now.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Oh my gosh, please rush your hound to the vet ASAP. As everyone has already stated, this is extremely serious. You should be alarmed that your hound is still lethargic. Your hound may need IV's and other medications. Please please don't wait any longer to take her in.

:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Yet another vote to get her to the vet NOW. We had a dog die of E.R. off a haul. It is nothing to fool with. A dog in this condition needs supportive care immediately.

i have to agree with the vet recommendations. it she was only tired from running, she would have recovered by now.

:nod

And I don't like the lethargy.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

As everyone has said, take the dog to the vet. Lethargy 24 hours after the incident is nothing to play around with. If it is about the money, I for one would contribute to the vet costs. Get her there now. Don't waste time, just get her there and then you can post the vet info once she is there or pm me the info and I can help you.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I agree too. The volunteer might not be as experienced as others here, particularly the vet techs and retired paramedics. I would at LEAST check her urine for brown/red discolouration (which is not blood, but the by-product of muscle breakdown and can be a very serious sign) and her long back muscles for soreness.

She has sore feet, so she might not want to walk too much, but lethargy this long afterwards would indicate either ongoing effects from heat exhaustion or exertional rhabdo, or she's damaged herself somewhere. Either way, I would be taking her to see the vet if she were mine.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest BradyzMommy

As someone who almost lost a grey to heatstroke, I certainly wouldn't be taking a chance on this...

Guest KennelMom

The lethargy would REALLY concern me GREATLY...it's been long enough that she should not really be lethargic. If her urine is still discolored or she's not eliminating normally that's an even greater red flag. If you can't take her to the vet, I'd at least run a urine sample by for a basic analysis.

At least CALL the vet and ask if she should come in.

Most vets would say YES. If they say no and a dog dies or becomes sicker due to delayed treatment, there's liability issues. I've never really had a vet tell me not to come in if I've called and asked if I should bring a dog in.

Guest K9_Lady

I agree that this could be very serious and you should consider taking her to the Vet.

Nothing against the volunteer, but unless that person is a Vet you can't be sure if she is ok.

Please consider taking her today.

Guest GentleHugs

I'm praying you took her to the vet to be checked out since everyone has suggested it already.

Heatstroke is nothing to play around with, second guess or anything - whether it's a human or a Greyhound. She's got to be seen by a vet - not a friend, not someone who thinks they know Greyhounds better than you - a licensed vet. If you don't have the money then borrow from a family member, friend or ask your vet for a payment plan if you pay 75% of the bill but for your dog's sake - PLEASE take her to the vet.

9 years ago, my first foster girl almost died from a heatstroke because of her adopter let her run on a 10 acre fenced in farm in 98 degree heat! He stated she had plenty of water to drink there but guess where the water buckets were at? By the back door of the farmhouse! He found her in the field so weak she couldn't stand or lift her head! Luckily his father was there and he took her into the vet immediately.

She spent an entire week in the hospital hooked up to IV's and all kinds of stuff. When I heard about it, I cried. I KNEW she was super sensitive to heat for the little time I had fostered her and I told her adopter exactly what my vet told me - not to let her be out in the heat for any amount of time or over exhert herself even if it was cool outside. My vet said she was more sensitive to heat than most Greyhounds are and most Greyhounds can't tolerate heat for more than just a couple of minutes.

If your girl was just tired from all the running she did - she would be a lot better today so if she's still lethargic - there's a problem - a big problem. Who knows? She might have an underlying health problem you are unaware of.

Please let us know what the vet says and in the meantime, she is on my prayer list.

"She's lethargic but responsive."

PLEASE take her to the vet. Her blood and body organs may be breaking down. That damage can not be reversed after so much damage is done.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Hawkeye

I appreciate the input. Perhaps lethargic was overstating it. She's willing to get up, move around and go potty outside. Her pee was very yellow, but not that nasty smelly infected pee. There was not blood or unusual tint. She's drinking at her usual intervals. She got up to greet my girlfriend when she came home for lunch and was wagging her tail and following her around. She's just not her usual, jump all over the place, crazy self. I imagine some of that has to do with sore feet. I've re-washed her paws and applied an antibiotic salve to them. She's cleaning herself now, but the salve keeps her from getting too crazy on the wounds because it probably doesn't taste too great. However, it is safe for consumption if she does get some of it by accident.

Overall, I'm still watching her closely. She appears to be doing much better.

I don't understand why you won't take her to the vet!

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Do you have a digital baby thermometer like from Walgreens? They are good to have on hand. I check their temperature if they are not feeling well. I can stop the worry if I know their temperature is normal.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest TheDoggfather

The strong yellow color is due to her being dehydrated... go to a drugstore, get some pedialyte or even gatorade. You can dilute the pedialyte in the water, but, no need to do so with the g-ade (Our racers love g-ade). This'll help replenish electrolytes and to get her back on her feet.

Do you know how to test for dehydration? If not, it's a simple thing really. Just pinch her skin, pull it up and release it. A properly hydrated dog' skin will snap back in place. A dehydrated dog's skin will sloooooooowly come back down into place.

Edited by TheDoggfather

Guest KennelMom

^^ this is very good advice. I would take it, if I were you.

Sounds like your girl is doing better than a lot of us thought based on your earlier post. I hope she continues to do well.

I've got to join in here, I've been monitoring this all day. I know how badly we all want and need to save money but I would HATE for you make the wrong decision on an economic basis. PLEASE, at least call the vet. Describe what is going on and ask if you should bring her in. Check her for dehydration. Please listen to the people who have responded. We all care about you and your pup.

Guest Energy11
The strong yellow color is due to her being dehydrated... go to a drugstore, get some pedialyte or even gatorade. You can dilute the pedialyte in the water, but, no need to do so with the g-ade (Our racers love g-ade). This'll help replenish electrolytes and to get her back on her feet.

Do you know how to test for dehydration? If not, it's a simple thing really. Just pinch her skin, pull it up and release it. A properly hydrated dog' skin will snap back in place. A dehydrated dog's skin will sloooooooowly come back down into place.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

If the dog will NOT drink, then, you can use a 10 cc syringe or a turkey baster to administer the Gatorade or Pedilyte... No matter, you are getting fluids into the dog!

Guest Hawkeye

I just got off the phone with Dr. Keely, my grey's vet. We spoke for about 10 minutes and he ran through a series of questions. He said that given her symptoms, or lack thereof, he only wants to see her if her improvement stops. He said spleen or other organ failure would be painful and she would demonstrate that discomfort. If she continues to improve, then, he said to let her be.

Guest LeanneSchatz

I agree. I know times are tough and money is tight. Maybe your vet can work with you or what about the humane society, sometimes they have low cost clinics.

Guest agroshong

I agree. I know times are tough and money is tight. Maybe your vet can work with you or what about the humane society, sometimes they have low cost clinics.

:nod I would seriously consider talking to your vet about a potential payment plan or other alternatives of paying for any necessary treatment. They, like you, certainly want your girl to be in the best health possible without neglecting necessary care in any emergency situation. I hope you are able to work out something so you don't have to choose between vet care and your mortgage.

Guest sheila

here is a recipe for homemade Pedialite for future reference

4 C boiled water

1 C apple Juice

2 TBS sugar

1/4 tsp salt

It sounds like your dog will recover from this experience. However in the future I would respectfully say that when in doubt I would not rely on an Internet message board to try and diagnose and treat your dog. The folks here are not vets and it's agonizing for them to sit here and watch you neglect your dog in this manner. If you can afford to take the day off work to monitor the dog, then you probably could have afforded to take the dog to the vet too.

In the future when in doubt ask yourself this question: If this was my child, my spouse or myself would I see a DR? If the answer is yes, then your dog needs to see the vet.

Guest Energy11

I/We have been through some VERY tough times in the last year. I have FIVE greys!

I FOUND A WAY to get Curfew vetted, after Care Credit DROPPED US! I WILL CONTINUE finding ways to be sure my dogs are properly diagnosed and taken care of, no matter WHAT other bills have to ride. I am lucky, because I have medical experience, lots of it, but I am NOT a vet!

Times are tough, but you DO need to take proper care of your grey. I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but I have "been there, done that ..." and my dog(s) still got vet care.

HOPE your girl continues to improve, and please, NO MORE running in the HEAT! D