Attention Central Ohio Members

A while back, in a thread about Pave' Maria, I mentioned that I would like to start a list of Central Ohio greyhound people who would be willing to help greyhounds and their owners who have to travel a long distance to come to OSU.

Maxx offered to help and asked me to PM. However, I am still not able to PM anyone (I now have 30 posts -- I thought all you needed was 25?)

Well I would like to create the list and there is also a current need for help. Would you please email me at:

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com (it is a dash, not an underscore in the middle of the address).

Here are a few more details about the current need.

A foster dog, located in Wisconsin, has been diagnosed with endocarditis. I believe he came to OSU once and was doing better. Well he has now taken a turn for the worse and needs to come back to OSU. They would like for him to stay in the Central Ohio area for a while. The folks in Wisconsin are bringing him here, next Monday, June 8. OSU will not know how long he will need to be here and how much care he will need until they examine him. They are looking for someone who will take him into their home and give him the attention he needs until he is well enough to go back to Wisconsin. Of course, all expenses will be paid for by OSU or the Wisconsin adoption group. It is unclear at this point how often he will need to go into OSU or how long he will need to stay in Ohio. OSU is willing to put him up for a couple of days but he needs to be picked up by mid week at the latest.

Even if you can't help with the current need, but you have some interest in the future, please email me. It could be as little as helping with hotel reservations and finding local resources. It could be as much as taking care of a sick or post-surgical hound in your home.

As I said in my previous post: People come from all over the country to see the vets at OSU. Typically their beloved greyhound is very sick (or they would have stayed close to home). The last thing they need to do is worry about the details and about how they are going to take care of their dog before he/she is ready to come home.

Guest boondog

I can't take him home at this time. :( However, I am willing to do anything else he and any other dog might need. I will email you.

praying someone can help him! :sad1 :sad1 :hope :hope

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest budsmom

Tattoo, the grey that needs the place to stay, is a sweet, sweet boy who has really had a rough time of it. His foster parents here in WI are awesome and GPA-WI has been there for this guy in a HUGE way. I know the people on this board are the best in the world and will step up and help - look what they just accomplished for Halo and Lenny!!!! Anyone that can help will forever have the thanks of GPA-WI, as well as Tattoo. Thanks in advance, I know this will all work out :)

Guest greydogluvr

I am in CA and would help if I was closer. I wanted to post to bump to top. I know someone out there will help this boy.

To Budsmom:

Tattoo will likely be staying with me. I live about 35 minutes from OSU, but do not work most days. I work on Tuesday and Wednesday. Otherwise I am available to take him to OSU. Cristina, one of the vets who works for Dr. C, contacted me 2 days ago. I would love to be able to communicate with Tattoo's current foster parents. I would like to know if he has any special requests. (Such as: I love my neck to be rubbed. Can I curl up next to you on the sofa? I really love liver treats. I have special dietary needs. I hate my crate and really don't need one. I don't like anyone to come near me when I am eating. etc.) I don't have any cats, so that is not an issue.

Also, maybe they could include a blanket with their scent on it and his favorite toy/stuffy.

I am just a normal dog-savvy person. I do not have any special training in caring for dogs (i.e. not a vet tech). I will be relying on OSU to teach me what I need to know to take care of him properly. I do currently have 3 dogs of my own (two half whippets/labradors and a greyhound). I also have a foster greyhound. We have a quiet household.

Who is bringing him from Wisconsin and when? I assume they will need to stay overnight somewhere. Perhaps they should stay at my house to ease Tattoo's transition?

Just some thoughts,

Jane

Guest budsmom

Jane, I'm so glad to know that Tattoo has a loving person to stay with and care for him. I'll pass this thread on to Tattoo's foster parents and ask them to get in touch with you. The poor little guy has been so sick for so long, I hope that OSU can finally get him better this time! Thank you so much for opening your home and your heart for this!!!!!!!!! People like you and those on this board really restore my faith in humankind.

Guest Lillysmom

Hi Guys! Tattoo is currently my foster baby. :) I'm honestly overwhelmed that his story has touched so many hearts and lives to an extent that I could never imagine! He is truly a special, special boy and owns a HUGE part of my heart. :wub:

Jane, my husband and I are working on a list of information to send with him to help with any questions you may have about how to care for him. I work primarily from home and will be available by phone or e-mail about 99.9% of the time if you have any questions or need any advice on anything. We'll also be sending some food with him, some toys, a bed, and anything else I can think of to help make things easier. I'll send you a PM with all of my contact information.

I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to posting pictures on Greytalk, but you can see some pictures of him and a little bit of his story if you're interested here and here.

He hasn't necessarily taken a turn for the worse, but the decision has been made that it would be best if he could be seen and cared for solely by the amazing team at OSU instead of continuing with our current plan of action.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your love and kindness! :colgate

glad to hear the "turn for the worse" isn't as bad as I thought it was!!!!! :thumbs-up he's all I've been thinking about since I read this yesterday!!!! :(:kiss2

Amanda and Steve are the most AWESOME mom and dad -- and I know it will break their hearts to have him away from them :( :( but thanks to all that are helping Tattoo out!!!! :yay :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hi Guys! Tattoo is currently my foster baby. :) I'm honestly overwhelmed that his story has touched so many hearts and lives to an extent that I could never imagine! He is truly a special, special boy and owns a HUGE part of my heart. :wub:

Jane, my husband and I are working on a list of information to send with him to help with any questions you may have about how to care for him. I work primarily from home and will be available by phone or e-mail about 99.9% of the time if you have any questions or need any advice on anything. We'll also be sending some food with him, some toys, a bed, and anything else I can think of to help make things easier. I'll send you a PM with all of my contact information.

I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to posting pictures on Greytalk, but you can see some pictures of him and a little bit of his story if you're interested here and here.

He hasn't necessarily taken a turn for the worse, but the decision has been made that it would be best if he could be seen and cared for solely by the amazing team at OSU instead of continuing with our current plan of action.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your love and kindness! :colgate

oooh! He's a brindle. He will fit right in with my 3 brindle babies. My neighbor's are beginning to think that all greyhounds are brindles :colgate

Amanda, thanks for the info in the emails. I'll keep you updated by email.

Jane

So glad to hear that Tatoo is doing fairly well. He's such a beautiful guy. Keep us posted on his progress and try to get some more pictures of that beautiful boy!

Melanie, Clark, Ringo, and Ricardo

(Missing Runner at The Bridge)

We have Tattoo's sister, Shyla, and think of him often. praying for a speedy recovery.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

We have Tattoo's sister, Shyla, and think of him often. praying for a speedy recovery.

Rich

Tattoo is still at OSU. He had some biopsies and a spinal tap today. He is doing well. I don't know if he will be able to come home tomorrow or not. In any case, I am ready to give him some TLC, Ohio-style.

Jane

Jane,

I haven't been on in a week or so, and missed this post until now. I'm much closer to OSU than you (15 minutes) and we've got plenty of room for another for a while. We'd be happy to take him. Since Maxx died, we've been on a mission to help the special cases, and this one certainly fits the bill. After what we went through with Maxx, we're pretty well versed in caring for a critically ill dog, and would be comfortable doing whatever is needed. My email is jen_shriver (at) yahoo.com - please drop me a line when you get a chance. I also sent an email directly to your Yahoo account with my phone number.

How's Joe's squirrel chasing injury, by the way?

Edited by Maxx

Jane,

I haven't been on in a week or so, and missed this post until now. I'm much closer to OSU than you (15 minutes) and we've got plenty of room for another for a while. We'd be happy to take him. Since Maxx died, we've been on a mission to help the special cases, and this one certainly fits the bill. After what we went through with Maxx, we're pretty well versed in caring for a critically ill dog, and would be comfortable doing whatever is needed. My email is jen_shriver (at) yahoo.com - please drop me a line when you get a chance. I also sent an email directly to your Yahoo account with my phone number.

How's Joe's squirrel chasing injury, by the way?

For everyone following Tattoo's story:

Tattoo came home to my house on Thursday, June 11. He is getting settled so I won't be taking Jennifer up on her offer. Doesn't make sense to move him again. OSU is waiting for the results of all the cultures before deciding on a course of treatment. He has heart problems and swelling in all of his joints -- he's only two and an absolute sweetie. They did an endocardium biopsy and are doing cultures of spinal fluid and joint fluid. We should know more about his treatment early next week.

As for Joe, he has recovered from his two squirrel chasing injuries (dating back to January of this year). He has even started giving blood again at OSU. Hopefully he has learned to look where he is running .... but I doubt it.

Guest IrskasMom

I am sooooo amazed over the Generosity of Jane (JoeJoesmom ), Maxx and so many others ( in other Helpful Threads) .

There is just NO other People like the Greyhound People . You got my Gratitude :bow

Thank you Jane for caring for Tattoo. Our Shyla, Tattoo's sister sends her love and good wishes.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Any update?

Rich

Any update?

Rich

Really nothing new to report. The endocardial biopsy confirmed that he still has endocarditis. Unfortunately they could not find the infectious agent. They are now sending a sample to Washington State University to have PCR testing done. Hopefully they will be able to determine what "bug" is causing all of this.

Until they know, they are keeping him on the same treatment regimen. Several antibiotics, something to calm his stomach and intestines, and a couple of drugs for pain relief.

Since his joints are so painful, they thought that he might have an autoimmune disease complicating things. The tests were to confirm whether or not he has any "bad" bugs. If he was infection free they were thinking of putting him back in the hospital and suppressing his immune system to see if the pain relents. But of course, they can not do this if he currently has an infection. The results from the heart biopsy seem to indicate that he still has infection, but they just don't know what bacteria is causing it. Until they know what it is, they can only guess at which antibiotics might be effective.