Changing Skin Color

Guest mollieandme

Guest mollieandme

Mollie's belly used to be pink and it's become a dark gray over time. Yes, I bathe her. I seems to be a natural change but I'm wondering what causes it. It's taken about a year and she's only 4. There are a few pink spots left. I'd include a pic but my camera is producing surreal kaleidoscope images that wouldnt help much.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer is has a bald belly and he's pretty dark there during the summer but pinkens up in the winter.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I think the darkening and/or thickening of the skin can be related to thyroid issues; any other symptoms?

Guest SusanP

This happened to our Wizard, too--He had a very cute, pale pink tummy and a little pink triangle under his chin when we got him at age 2. in a year or so, the pink began graying and the pink triangle began shrinking. Our vet said not to worry, and I think GT folks did too, and now at age 8 (almost 9), Wizard has a grayish pink tummy which is still very cute.

No thyroid problems or skin issues, just slightly darker skin.

Edited by SusanP

This has happened to ALL of my greyhounds that spend any amount of time at all outside in the sun. With mine it is just a greyhound suntan. I got no idea why they turn black instead of tan but all of mine wil do it irregardless of their base color. When winter comes and they're not outside in the sun anymore than they get pale white or fleshtone again(like me.)It is striking though how black it is-like a real dark shade of grey.

Guest scfilby

Our mickey's chest and belly turn from pink to almost black every year. It happens in splotches. she goes from pink with black splotches to black with pink splotches..

phene's skin turns from light pink to eggplant every year. i think the sun does it.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

emily who is black/really seal color tans and looses her pink tummy. her ears go to a dark brown and black tummy. felix, red fawn, drops his winter coat and then looks like someone has shaved his chest it gets so dark and hair so sparse. his coat changes to a lighter red- strawberry blond, and inner flanks and legs have black undertones. when winter coat grows in he is a deep red fawn with normal skin tones that are still well pigmented.

Guest mollieandme

Thanks all. To provide a little more info, the color change has been steady and doesn't fluctuate with the season. Mollie is a staunch indoor dog; if I ever saw her roaching in the grass I'd faint.

She doesn't have thyroid symptoms outside of being somewhat low energy; I had her tested when she first came home and the vet said it was borderline. I haven't tried again because I realized she wasn't lethargic, she was cautious. Over the past several months she's become more outgoing and active.

Guest BlueCrab

I'll try not to hijack the thread here, but for those of you who noted sun-related or season-related skin color changes, how concerned are you about skin cancer - particularly with those light-skinned or pink-tummy dogs? I imagine dogs can get skin cancer....? Is there such a thing as doggie sunscreen?

Guest mollieandme
I'll try not to hijack the thread here, but for those of you who noted sun-related or season-related skin color changes, how concerned are you about skin cancer - particularly with those light-skinned or pink-tummy dogs? I imagine dogs can get skin cancer....? Is there such a thing as doggie sunscreen?

Don't bogart my thread!

I'm kidding. I've read that skin cancer is possible and since it also runs in my family, I try to limit our collective exposure. I don't think my two are high risk though.

Guest SusanP

Wizard's color change was permanent, not connected to sun (he is not a sunbather, and it's his tummy and under his chin!). We saw it as part of the maturation process. In any case, it was nothing to worry about.

• 6 years later...