Billy Update......babesia Test Results

Guest houndlover

Guest mandm

How long has he been on Pred? If it has been only a short time, a few weeks, and the problem the pred is treating got better, and then worse, you may want to consider immediate Imizol treatment. But if he has been on pred a long time and he is just starting to crash now, then please disregard what I have to say.

I had another greyhound that was on Pred for IBD. After a few weeks on Pred, she started to get very sick, high fever and dangerously low platelets. It was assumed that she had undiagnosed TBD, which prior to the Pred, her immune system was able to keep at bay. But then the Pred caused the TBD to take over.

I treated conservatively, got PCRs. I wish I hadn't. If I had to do it all over again, I would have treated her immediately with Imizol, which covers both Ehrlichia and Babesia. But unlike Billy, she was a young dog unlikely to have had other problems like cancer.

If he had babesia, heavy-duty tetracycline class antibiotics would reduce symptoms per the info paper I linked earlier. Won't clear an infection but should buy you some time to figure out if that's what's wrong or if it's something else, or to get the Imizol if you decide to treat.

I personally would not treat a debilitated older dog with Imizol without a firm diagnosis, but there are other intelligent people who would.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mandm
I personally would not treat a debilitated older dog with Imizol without a firm diagnosis, but there are other intelligent people who would.

My experience was very different in that my greyhound was very young.

The thing is, they have the low positive b. canis titer along with symptoms. While not a firm diagnosis, it is a strong clue. With my first Babesia greyhound, I had only symptoms, no titer.

Michelle,

I have been watching this thread intently, but haven't said much as I don't have anything medically useful to share.

Right now, on top of everything that Billy needs, it really sounds like you need a hug! That's one thing I can help with :bighug Just know that I am thinking of you and your pups and I hope they come up with something soon to turn this thing around for your old man.

:grouphug

Jenn

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Billy is at the vet. I took him to have blood drawn for the PCR and they admitted him to the hospital. He seemed okay last nite but this morning he couldn't walk and I had to carry him to the car. I cried all the way to the vet. The tech carried him into an exam room and my vet came in to take a look. Instead of just doing the scheduled blood work for today we ended up doing a chest x-ray b/c he was having trouble breathing. The x-ray had something on it but it was NOT cancer. My vet said that she was having a hard time seeing part of the x-ray b/c Billy is so "ribby" (he weighs about 62-63lbs now). They took his temp and it was 105. They are treating him with IV fluids, antibiotics and cool towels to try to get his temp down.

Please send good thoughts for my boy. It killed me to leave him today. :weep

Oh, geeze, I'm sorry to hear this.

Did they do an FNA of the lymphnode? If so, how soon do they expect results?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Checking in on Billy this evening.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest houndlover

thanks for the good thoughts. my vet referred me to a 24hour care facilility for the nite. DD and I just got back a little while ago. billy started vomiting blood this afternoon and he now has bloody diarrhea. The vet at the 24hour facility thinks this is probably cancer. If there aren't any improvements overnite then I am going to have billy euthanized tomorrow. my heart is breaking right now and the tears won't stop. please don't anyone judge me for the decision that i have made.

Guest mandm

I'm so sorry. What an awful day you've had. And tomorrow will be hard too. You are making a very difficult and courageous decision. It is obvious that you are thinking of what is best for Billy. It is what we all intend to do when faced with the same decision, to stay strong and do what is best for them, difficult as it may be.

Thinking of you and your pupper this morning.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Billy. I admire and respect you for doing what is best for him and not you. We all hope that we are able to do the same when it is our turn. Hugs.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest houndlover

He's gone. I am such a mess right now. I will write a proper rememberance when I can. Thank you all again for your support and kind words.

I'm sorry.

{{{{{{{{{{houndlover}}}}}}}}}}