Need Advise About Hypothyroid

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

Griffin has had blood work in preparation for a dental but there are concerns about his blood work regarding his thyroid function.

T4 is below 6. The normal range is 12 - 51

TSH is .25. The normal range is 0 - .6

ALT is 63

fT4 - not included with the predental blood work

auto antibodies against T4 & T3 - not included with the predental blood work

My vet would like to send another blood test to Dr. Jean Dodds in California for further testing at a cost of about $150.00.

I would appreciate your opinions on Griffin's test levels as to whether I should go forward with the additional test.

Update: I will have my vet e-mail me a copy of Griffin's test results and forward them to Dr. Dodds. Thank you all for your responses and all the information. I knew I could count on the members of Greytalk for help.

Thank you,

Sharon

Edited by GriffinsMom

T4 is not diagnostic in sighthounds. If TSH is normal, which it is, I wouldn't bother testing further unless he has significant thyroid-specific symptoms.

Here is a whole bunch of info about thyroid and thryoid testing in dogs: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E...roid_Canine.php

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HersheysMom

I agree with Batmom. If the TSH is elevated, it is telling the dog's body to make more T4 because there isn't enough. If the TSH is elevated, it's very likely the dog is hypothyroid. Griffin's TSH is not elevated or even borderline high.

I'd get a second opinion on this from someone who is experienced with reading these panels.

Also, not to undermine your vet at all, but you could email Jean with the info you posted here and ask her her opinion, believe me, she will not mind at all!! And she'll respond pretty quickly, she always does

If you would like to email her, her email is hemopet@hotmail.com

Also, I agree with Batmom and Hersheysmom

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The following quote on TSH and thyroid testing comes from the Michigan State website, and their thyroid testing is the gold standard for greyhounds. Short course: TSH is not an infallible indicator of thyroid function.

http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E...oid_Canine.php

It is not clear why as many as 15% of hypothyroid dogs can have a normal TSH concentration, but suggested explanations include: rare cases of secondary hypothyroidism (where the pituitary gland is unable to secrete adequate TSH), the presence of TSH-suppressing concurrent significant non-thyroidal illness, and structural differences in the TSH molecule that interfere with its detection.

If the fT4 comes back low along with the T4 being low, I'd say go ahead and treat him. If Jean Dodds will do a consult based on the tests you already have, and I gather she will, that's a good idea if your vet is nervous.

Mary

hypothyroid and mom to two hypothyroid greyhounds

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

TSH isn't infallible, but if the dog doesn't have symptoms, there's no reason not to believe it. T4 isn't a good measure of thyroid function even in non-greyhounds, and fT4 can be off the bottom of the chart in a greyhound yet still be normal. You really want some symptoms to be spending the money on the test.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with cbudshome about emailing Dr. Dodds. I have emailed her several times and she will get back to you promptly.

:nod me, three!

She will get back to you quickly and she will give you her thoughts at no cost. She's the bomb!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

fT4 - not yet known

auto antibodies against T4 & T3 - not yet known

Sharon, have these tests already been run, and you're just awaiting the values to be reported? That's what I assumed, but it was an assumption.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).