Recurring Bladder Infection

Guest esandy

Guest esandy

Gracie was licking "down there" a lot. Took her to the vet where they expressed her full anal glands.

Still licking, so back to the vet - they took a urine sample and prescribed a 2-week course of antibiotics.

Still licking, although much less so back to the vet. This time they took the urine sample, said she had a "raging bladder infection" and prescribed a different antibiotic - Baytril. They also cultured and discovered the bacteria involved is e-coli.

After one week on Baytril, she is still licking intermittently. I'll take her back after the full 2-weeks on Baytril.

The vet didn't say what would happen if the Baytril didn't clear up the infection. She did say that Gracie might have a mild incontinence problem where the sphincter doesn't close properly, allowing slight urine leakage (I'd noticed this lately but attributed it to the infection), and also allowing bacteria to get up into the urinary tract. Apparently there is medication to help with the sphincter problem, if that is the case.

Has anyone else had experience with recurring UT infections or mild incontinence?

Gracie is only 3 years old. She is eating and drinking normally.

Guest Energy11

Yes, I had recurring UTIs with my male, Oakly. Took two courses of Amoxicillin, and it came back. Cipro cleared it totally.

Good Luck! I hate UTIs!

Guest sheila
Are you giving filtered water?

Not sure what you mean. I give her tap water, the same as the rest of us drink.

filtered water such as when you have a water filtration system on the tap that you are getting your water from.

I agree with Burpdog that it sounds like the infections may not really be gone and it may take a longer course of the AB's to clear them up. Filtered water might also help in cleansing her system of whatever is ailing her.

When I first got Mandy, she had constantly recurring UTIs. I truly believe it's because it never really went away. We had to do 4 weeks of Baytril to clear it up. The other thing we did was start Mandy on cranberry pills--her urine ph was way off--she takes a cranberry pill every night to keep things under control.

Good luck, I know how rough persistent infections can be.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest greyvettech

Maybe the infection will not clear because she may have a greater problem such as bladder stones, possibly.. If she doesn't recover with more antibiotics, maybe a radiograph of her bladder would be a good idea..She is so young to have incontinence...

ugh, i'm going through the same thing with Loca. she is also fighting a bacterial infection after recurring UTIs. she's taking a combo of baytril and clamavox; she is entering her third week of treatment. i agree with the suggestion of xrays of Gracie's bladder.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ask your vet about SMZ-TMP (Bactrim). We've had a lot of success with using it for UTIs that won't completely clear up on the more often prescribed antibiotics.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Hopefully they've done a culture and sensitivity- the former identifies the organism, the latter describes to which antibiotics the organism is susceptible. That is presumably why the Baytril (a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, in the same class as Cipro) was prescribed.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest HersheysMom
Yes, I had recurring UTIs with my male, Oakly. Took two courses of Amoxicillin, and it came back. Cipro cleared it totally.

Good Luck! I hate UTIs!

My first girl had recurrent UTIs for her entire life :( Some cases are really tough. I second Cipro. My girl also had ecoli, and was treated unsuccessfully with Baytril, but Cipro cleared her. Unfortunately, she would get new ones a couple months later. She also had a surgery where they pull back folded skin around the vulva which may be trapping bacteria. I can't remember the name of this procedure, but I can look it up. If you are truly clearing the infections and the dog is getting new ones, this surgery could be something to consider. It would depend on how that area appears on Gracie (if she has large folds of skin that could be causing a problem) if she would be a candidate.

Guest esandy

Just got back from the vet re-check. Two weeks on Baytril has cleared up Gracie's infection.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't recur anytime soon!

Thanks for all your tips and advice!