Back Leg Weakness

So tell me I don't need to be freaking out. Patrick was at the dog park yesterday, but not playing strenously or running. All of a sudden we noticed back leg weakness, I think originating in the hips.

He has well-managed arthritis, is 10, and a good weight. I came home and gave him an asprin on top of his usual meds (what we typically do if he's having a bad day). It happened again a couple times yesterday evening. Today it seems to have cleared up, so I don't think it's an e-vet issue.

If it doesn't happen again, should I still take him in on Monday? Obviously if it continues he'll be going in.

Any idea what this is likely to be--I have scary ideas running through my head about nerve damage or something.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Doesn't sound like enough for an e-vet trip. Wait to see your regular vet. Note specifics of the weakness - exactly how did he seem weak? Stumbling? Sinking rear end? Unable to rise? Any vocalization?

I'd consider lumbosacral stenosis in a 10 y.o. grey. It's an easy test; check the Suzanne Stack article information.

My old guy lived with it for five years, misdiagnosed as arthritis even though there were no arthritic changes on x-ray. LS can be managed so he lives comfortably. Be sure you explore all the options -- acupuncture worked wonders for Dune, as did various anti-inflammatory drugs combined with tramadol toward the end.

good luck!

Other resources:

www.greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumbosacral_Stenosis.pdf

forum.greytalk.com/lofiversion/index.php/t170496.html

http://www.greythealth.com/

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

I assume you've discussed adding asprin to what he's already taking with your vet? Cause you do NOT want to give asprin if your dog is already on anti-inflammatories, and your really don't want to give plain aspirin if you can avoid it. Ascriptin is a much better choice. It's asprin buffered with Maalox to protect their stomach lining.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, the vet knows that one or two days a month we suplement his tramadol with one buffered asprin, she says that's fine since he's not on another anti-inflamitory.

He's been on cosequine for about 5 years (first as a preventative now to help deal with the arthritis.)

Thanks Dune's mom, if this happens again, I'll take that article in when I take him in to the vet.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Update: 2 days without a reoccurance. Assuming this keeps up, I'm going to wait for his annual checkup, in a month or two and mention it then.

Thanks again to everyone for chiming in.

Guest ss556

Alan had ups and downs with his rear leg weakness. It would act up and then be ok. April of last year I finally took him to a holistic/acupuncturist vet. He had 7 treatments there and it helped after the seond one IIRC. Then it was on and off since last summer and he had them once a month up to the week before he "left us". It always seemed to help him.