Experience With A Broken Toe?

While Fiona was in the yard this morning tossing and chasing her stuffy toy, she slipped on the wet grass and her leg went under her. It was a quick stumble but on her left rear foot, the outside toe was sticking out at a terrible angle. Within 5 minutes I had her at the vet's office and am now waiting to hear if it is broken or dislocated. They will be x-raying it soon so I should have an answer.

I've had experienced with Tasha's dislocated toe but have never dealt with a broken toe before. Has anyone had experience with this type of injury or it is handled in a similar manner to the dislocation?

Thanks for any input and thoughts you have.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest trevdog

Nor a splint....Dallas is still recovering from her splint for her sprained toe.....didn't do a thing for her toe except keep her weight off it and she has sores from where the splint rubbed......if at all possible I'd wrap it and let it heal on it's own. If we had known that's what she had done we wouldn't have taken her in.

Guest zoolaine

Zali broke her toe when she was about 4 or 5 months old. I had read a lot on GT on horror stories with casts so I did not have a cast put on her. She had to be on a leash when outside for about a month. No running, jumping, playing - to a puppy that means no fun :lol But she did awesome, she was doing so well I didn't even have the second set of x-rays performed.

Guest houndlover

One of our foster dogs broke his toe a few weeks ago and he is doing great. He had been on pain meds and the foot is only wrapped. His foster mom has to keep him quiet but he is an older, laid back boy so I don't think that has been a problem at all.

Good luck with your girl. I'm sure that she will heal up quickly. :)

UPDATE: I just brought Fiona home. The toe was dislocated and there was no sign of a fracture so that's good news. Our vet has placed a thick soft wrap around her foot and added a cushioned waterproof bootie to go outside. We have pain medication to give her for 6 days and on Friday her wrap will be checked and changed.

Thanks for the advice - it's good to know that a cast would not have been a good thing. Fortunately our vet is wonderful and chose the softer wrapping. Now to keep her quiet until her toe is healed!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I echo what Robin says....DRY!

Rest is best... good luck with that!

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey