"normal" Blood Pressure

Guest LHibner

Guest LHibner

Could any one tell me where I can find the "Normal" blood pressure for a greyhound? My 11yro grey is getting his checked and I need to know what normal is so I can tell my vet......that's if it's different than other breeds. Hopefully some one has a link so I can send it to her.

Thanks

Liz and Troy (11yro and counting)

Is it MP_the4Pack who has Pearl? She would know.

They tend to run a little high -- high end of normal, or a little above, can be normal for a greyhound. Be aware that even a greyhound might get nervous/hyped up at the vet's office, and will then run high. FWIW, Joseph, who is a bit excited but not off his rocker at the vet's, was @ 140 when we checked.

Can't find my reference :( , so if anybody has one, would be appreciated.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LHibner

[quote name=

They tend to run a little high -- high end of normal, or a little above, can be normal for a greyhound. Be aware that even a greyhound might get nervous/hyped up at the vet's office, and will then run high. FWIW, Joseph, who is a bit excited but not off his rocker at the vet's, was @ 140 when we checked

Troy's bp read 240 this morning......I'll have to see what my vet finds as "normal" for GHs.

Thanks

liz

That would be high.

I *think* my vet wanted to see Zema's at no more than 180, but she is extremely nervous at the vet's office so that is hard to achieve.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That is high, but if he gets super stressed at the vets, that could account for some of it.

Our old vet needed to get Ryan's measurement and his cuff could be about 50-100 feet from the unit, so he told us we could camp out in the grass outside the building so Ryan wouldn't freak out. Unfortunately, it was way too cold to do that on the day we showed up, so he gave us some blankets and we settled Ryan on the floor of the OR with a marrow bone and then he came in about 5 mins later to put the cuff on and then 5 mins later to start taking the readings and looked at them over 10-15 mins. Each time he walked by the door and Ryan could see him, it went up :lol

Guest LHibner

No Troy loves the vets office. I think it is just that high. He pants all of the time and walks a little odd (like his legs hurt), he also licks his legs a lot and startles himself out of a sound sleep quite often. I know there is something wrong with him and maybe this can explain everything?

Edited by LHibner

VERY HIGH!

BP is the same as humans. THey start to worry over 130. Go on meds over 150. Pearl had a mini stroke at that 240. That's even too high for stress at the vets.

My vet was happy getting Pearl's BP down to 150 on Enalapril and norvasc.

Her other BP meds are phenoxybenzamine and atenolol.

(yeah, she's on a lot of meds because we can't find the cause of her hypertension and she keeps breaking thru).

High BP in dogs cause the same problems in humans. (heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure).

Good luck at the vets. If you need BP meds like norvasc.....Costco has them at about 1/10 the price of vets or drug stores. Worth the membership fee.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Mary Pat and Pearl.

Guest LHibner

Thanks for all of the well wishes and great info....

The vet put Troy on meds. He started them on Saturday. Hopefully they will start working fast, he had a really bad day yesterday with panting. I'm glad I told them that I WANTED his BP checked.

Thanks Liz, Troy and family

Edited by LHibner

Guest ss556

Alan's BP was 260 at one point, dropped substantially when put on Benazepril and Norvasc as one drug alone didn't do it. I'm glad your grey's BP dropped to a safer number.