Thin Hair On Belly, Bbutt And Legs

Guest tumeria33

Guest tumeria33

Isis's coat has improved since we adopted her 9 weeks ago, however The hair on her belly, butt and legs (especially on the inside) is still very thin and sparse. It almost looks like she was shaved but she hasn't been. Is this normal? She has seen a vet a couple of times and they never said anything. I was hoping it would grow in thicker. I have added oil to her food. Any advise or thoughts? Thanks :gh_run

It's a greyhound thing. She might get furrier over time, or she might not. She might also be a seasonal baldie -- naked in summer, furrier in winter. Oils can help build a glossy coat in some dogs but won't affect hair growth.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Try rogaine! ;)

just kidding of course. Some dogs have thinner hair than others. My Beau and his momma & Chloe have thick lush coats. Teddy has sparce hair and his neck, tush and belly have NO hair at all. NONE. Like someone did electroloysis!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It's a greyhound thing. She might get furrier over time, or she might not. She might also be a seasonal baldie -- naked in summer, furrier in winter. Oils can help build a glossy coat in some dogs but won't affect hair growth.

:nod :nod :nod

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Nine weeks isn't very long--and as everyone else already said, this is a greyhound thing! Add some omega fatty acid supplements to her food, and she may or may not grow a little more fur, but it takes a while!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer is a baldy too but I had his thyroid checked out and he was a bit below normal for a Greyhound and he's on thyroid meds which helps him be a bit less nakey. He gets fuzzy on his belly and thighs during the winter but still loses most of it in the summer.

some are just like that. phene's hair is so sparse on his belly that he feels like suede.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest speedoketo

There was another post where we all raved about it but I think Eicosaderm made my hound's coat thicker. When we brought home our second we realized the hair of the first was twice as thick, soft, and shiny. However he also looks like he got laser hair removal on his belly and that's never gone away but it gives him character. The new guy has definitely had his hair thicken up a bit since we got him but I think it was a nutritional issue. He has this random bald spot on the underside of his neck though that weirds me out. It doesn't itch and it isn't growing but lordy it looks odd. It's been growing in super slow, it got shaved partially for a blood draw as well which didn't help.

In a nutshell the fur they have will probably get thicker but if its bald (and I mean bald, not sparse) now there's a pretty good chance it's going to stay that way.

Guest tumeria33

Thanks. She isn't bald, just sparse. You can see her skin very easily. She is also black so I think it makes it a bit more obvious. The rest of her coat look good and she is softer than when we adopted her.

Suze had a bald butt when we brought her home with her sister Fuzz, three years ago. Between switching to a grain free, fish based dog food and adding Grizzly Salmon Oil, Suze now has two little bald patches.

Anna, who came to us last Sept 1 and will be 9 years young in May, has a butt that is naked as a jay bird! I don't expect that she will ever have even the slightest peach fuzz at this point in her life, but we think her butt is "cute".

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead