Suddenly Spooky

Guest monasmom

Guest monasmom

Hi,

Vinny has been having bad GI trouble all week. After trying all home remedies, we took him to the vet yesterday to get IV fluids and some tests (all normal--but still waiting for a couple). They started him on 1000mg of Flagyl 2 times a day (so 2000 mg a day--sounds like an awful lot to me...).

I'm not sure if he's had GI improvement today (although he didn't wake me up last night and the night before it was 3 times), but his behavior is very off.

Vinny usually LOVES walks and going out. He bounces around with his tail up like he's king of the world. Last night and again this morning he was so spooky I couldn't get him to walk more than a couple feet from the door, where he peed and then went right back in the house.

It's almost like he's hallucinating or his senses are sharpened somehow. His heart is going a mile a minute and his eyes are rolling and if I wasn't so paranoid (martingale and harness both attached to leash) I would be worried he was going to bolt. Every tiny movement or sound catches his attention and scares him. Birds so high in the sky they're like tiny dots. The moon reflecting in a window. A truck going by three blocks away.

Has anyone else come across this as a side effect from Flagyl? It is the only thing that changed yesterday as far as I know. Right now Vinny is hiding in the bathroom facing away from the window. Poor guy. :(

Not common to have reactions to flagyl, but it does happen. I'd not give any more until you've talked with your vet today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There is a wide dosage range with Flagyl but, 1000mg twice daily seems like a lot--usually its given at a lower dose---500mg twice daily. Yes, any dog can have a reaction to any drug at any time. One of mine was going into liver failure after taking SMZ for 9 days---very unsual!

Guest monasmom

Hi,

I did talk to the vet yesterday, and she said to cut the dose in half. But when I came home last night he was still so afraid to go outside that I decided not to give him any more. This morning he's about 75% better. When I pulled him on the leash toward the door, he did consent to go out. Still wouldn't walk around the block with the others, but did his business in the yard with much better body language (tail up in relaxed position vs clamped, sniffed around a bunch) and didn't react to every little sound or slight movement. If the big D doesn't return, I'm not going to give him anything else. Just feed the bland food.

I read online that there is sometimes a neurologic side effect from Flagyl, but usually is dizziness. He is not dizzy and he is fine in the house. Some other neurologic reaction was going on, though. I truly can't imagine what else it could have been other than the meds, unless they gave him something else at the vet's Thursday when he was on IV fluids.

Thanks for your concern. I'm sure he'll be okay by tonight... :goodluck

Guest FrostyBottoms

My Vinny was fine on Flagyl, but I had to take it and it made me soooo sick I ended up in the ER.

Poor Vinny! I hope he is all better by now!

Tell him his cousin Vinny is sending Unruly vibes to him!

Guest monasmom
My Vinny was fine on Flagyl, but I had to take it and it made me soooo sick I ended up in the ER.

Poor Vinny! I hope he is all better by now!

Tell him his cousin Vinny is sending Unruly vibes to him!

Thanks for the Unruly vibes. Maybe they are helping... a little. He's still really spooky about going outside and it has been 36 hours since his last dose. Could be whatever was going on neurologically now has him freaked out beyond the end of the med effect...? I was able to get him to go on a walk a little bit ago, but I had to literally drag him across the street to get started. Once he got going he seemed a little better. Still definitely not himself, though. I'm so worried. The cure was definitely worse than the disease (although the D was pretty explosive, out of control, and severe...) :(

Thanks for caring, guys!

ETA: For Mona Flagyl has been the miracle drug twice... different dog, different chemistry

Edited by monasmom

Try Pepto Bismol gel-caps, child's dose (1 gel-cap I think) 2-3 times a day. Gel-caps are meant to be swallowed, not chewed; they work much better than dogs than the chewables, which tend to pass thru unless you crush them up well.

As an alternative to Pepto Bismol, your vet might also be able to give you some Endosorb tablets.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would check further with your vet about any side effects ...

My doberman get Flagyl after eating bird seed because of the risk of clostridium and he ended up developing something similar to vertigo. This happened a few weeks after he had stopped the flagyl. He couldn't even walk because he was so dizzy and it almost looked like a seizure. This was years ago but, the vet told me back then that it was a side effect of the flagyl.

Are you expecting rain or storms? Could he be freaking about that? My Polli was totally nuerotic with the change of weather. Just a thought.

2000K mg of flagyl does seem high. The most Beau was on was 500 BID. He started out at 250 BID.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project