Hi! From Nyc

Guest Judynyc

Guest Judynyc

Hello!! :wave

I am so happy to tell you all about my newest pack member, Leyla.

IMG_0288.JPG

I was very lucky to have come across her in my neighborhood when her previous owner needed to move out of the country and couldn't take her. I tested her out before making it official and have been delighted with Leyla since day 1.

Here is a pic of my 2 girls hanging out on my bed:

IMG_0277.JPG

The black dog is Daisy, my special needs cattle dog. She is a rescue from a high kill shelter in W VA. Leyla is helping her to overcome her fear of outside. Leyla loves it outside...she such a calm girl and thats great for the busy city streets!!

We also have Gomez, a 10 yr old rescued shihtzu:

IMG_0110.JPG

They all love my bed!! :colgate:inlove

And a bit about me....I've had dogs all my life starting as a toddler when they put a puppy into bed with me....My first dog on my own as an adult was over 30 yrs ago( I'm old). I've raised many puppies and also taken in several rescues that stayed with me until their old age. Leyla is my first greyhound and I'm sure will not be my last. I'm learning much reading here and other boards about GHs in general. I started my own dog care service 13 yrs ago and am very busy with all my clients every day of the week. I try to not work on the weekends though. I do a lot of dog walking, boarding, puppy training and problem solving, consulting.

To me...They are dogs first, greyhounds second...so to me, she's a dog who happens to be a retired racing greyhound. I noticed that Leyla plays a lot with an open mouth on the back of Daisy's neck.....I'm working with her to stop doing this as I don't think that it is best for their play to include this behavior. I take them to my local dog park regularly...Leyla Loves this!! She runs, visits and plays well.

I hope to become a regular poster to your community. Great community that you've got here!!! :clap

Welcome from Maine! :welcome2 Your pups are beautiful! :wub:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Judynyc

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

FYI- I did officially adopt Leyla through NGAP in Phila. Her previous owner loves getting my updates about his sweet girl, he's heart broken that he had to leave and give her up. But it was my good fortune because Leyla is a greyt Hound!! :colgate

If I can find time, I'd love to get her into being a therapy dog ...she's got a very Zen like quality to her.

Edited by Judynyc

Hello...and welcome. Look for UESBrindle on this board...that's my brother and his GF, they just got their first grey in February.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

:welcome Hi and welcome from So Cal!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Judynyc

Thanks you guys!! :colgate

Its great to see more neighbors here!!

No, I'm not in Brooklyn....I'm in the Gramercy Park area of Manhattan.

UESBrindle? is that Upper East Side?

Guest UESBrindle

Hi Judy!

UESBrindle (Elizabeth, Rob, and William) here. So glad you joined the board! We're on the Upper East side, near Carl Schurz Park. We brought home William home in February from GAA, so he's new to the city too. Maybe we can set up a date to have our pups meet up now that the weather is starting to get nice here! The rest of your pups are super cute too!

Elizabeth

Which group did the dog originally come from???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Hi Judy!

UESBrindle (Elizabeth, Rob, and William) here. So glad you joined the board! We're on the Upper East side, near Carl Schurz Park. We brought home William home in February from GAA, so he's new to the city too. Maybe we can set up a date to have our pups meet up now that the weather is starting to get nice here! The rest of your pups are super cute too!

Elizabeth

If you meet in Central Park, Aquitaine wants to come too!!! She REALLY likes William (he's super cute). We are on the UWS.

Where are you on/near Grammercy Park? One of my closest friends lives on Grammercy Park South so I will be sure to look for your pups when I am down there.

Welcome. Welcome. Welcome.

Guest Judynyc

Thanks you guys!! :wave Elizabeth, Carronstar and Mandysmom!!

I'd love to come uptown one of these days to meet up in CP( or Carl Shurz)....but too bad for us that I don't have a car to get up there. I'd have to hire a pet taxi to get up there and we could walk home.

When you go to CP, how do you deal with letting them off leash? I'm working with Leyla on her recall when we go to our local dog park. She's getting much better, especially when I've got her favorite treats :lol , but she is not 100% yet.

I don't live on GP and am in the area so if you do come down here, I'd love to meet you and your boy.:)

A greyhound meet up sound great to me and I know that Leyla would love it. She's a very social girl and is always looking for other tall dogs....she does perk up when meeting others of her own breed.

But when she met an intact Ridgeback boy, she was just delighted!! :lol

Hello Robin,

Leyla came from NGAP in Phila. I have taken care of all necessary paperwork with them to make sure that I am officially Leyla's person. Is this what you wanted to know? :unsure

Thanks so much for asking!!

NGAP contacted me a couple of weeks ago as they had a young couple interested in adopting a GH and had nobody in Manhattan for them to meet up with. I was happy to assist them in this so the young couple came here to meet Leyla and ask me a bunch of questions.

They fell for Leyla big time.... and went down the next week and picked out a fawn male named Darren. They are on the UWS and I know they'd like to meet up with other GHs and their people too. :colgate

Edited by Judynyc

NGAP and she changed the registration, etc.

Hi, Judy.

Glad to see you made it to this Forum.

BTW, the open mouth on the neck is really a play thing. Don't be too bothered by it. Just keep an eye out. :rolleyes:

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest Judynyc

NGAP and she changed the registration, etc.

Hi, Judy.

Glad to see you made it to this Forum.

BTW, the open mouth on the neck is really a play thing. Don't be too bothered by it. Just keep an eye out. :rolleyes:

Hey Donna!! :wave

Thanks!! :colgate This forum is very, very active....I like this a lot!

Yes...The open mouth thing is a play thing but its kinda risky as teeth can get caught in collars and can also make holes!! :eek

Leyla did accidentally do this to one of my client's cairns a while back. Made a hole in the dogs snout....So I need her to close her big mouth!! :lol She's actually getting better at this now.

Hi Judy,

Many taxi cab drivers will actually pick you up. I never once had a problem when I had Scarlett. Morgaine was terrifed of cars so it never came up. Aquitaine will actually try to get in taxi's if she sees people getting out and the driver's usually just chuckle.

Oh, I hope if Darren is on the UWS that I get a chance to meet him.

I don't know about any others but my girl is only ever off leash within the enclosure of the small dog run. Someone used to run Scarlett for me at night in the Rambles in CP but that stopped when she started being independent on when she would return. Without instant recall, she lost her offleash privileges. Too risky.

Carron

Guest UESBrindle

Hi Judy!

We can't let William off leash without a fenced in area.. I just get so nervous about loosing him. Last time when we met up with Carron and Aquitaine they were fine just meandering on leash and I think they enjoyed it all the same!

Maybe Darren and his people could come too!

Looking forward to a Greyt Walk!

Elizabeth & especially William :D