Abita Romeo

Guest Leah

Tonight we helped our big boy to the bridge. It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. DH and I are heart broken. Romeo was our very first greyhound. He was a big non cat safe boy who sat at the kennel almost a year. When we started looking and said we did not need one who was cat safe they pointed us in Romeo's direction. He was a big gentle giant. The girls pushed him around and he never complained. What silly times I had with him. At a meet and greet as I was standing there talking to some interested people Romeo decided it was the perfect time to hike his leg and pee on a nice lady's white linen pants :blush My face turned three shades of red. The lady was nice and laughed it off. Then the first time we did Ren Fest we were walking around lost and I stopped and asked a nice lady in full costume where the greyhound tent was located. As we were talking I looked down and he was hiking his leg on her costume! I know I should have said something, but I was so embarassed I ran off with him before she noticed. I had to watch him like a hawk with his leg hiking.

We have the three girls but the house seems so empty. He had his head in my lap as he went. I feel so guilty. He trusted me and I feel like I just sat there and allowed someone to kill him. It was not fast. She gave him a dose for an 80 pound dog and he was 72 pounds but his heart kept beating so she had to give him more. I felt like maybe that was the sign that I was doing the wrong thing. I can't believe how torn and confused I am right now. My heart is broken. I just want my big boy back. Everything feels so wrong right now.

post-12968-1237867146_thumb.jpg

post-12968-1237867191_thumb.jpg

post-12968-1237867287_thumb.jpg

post-12968-1237867320_thumb.jpg

post-12968-1237867368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leah

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry...... My thoughts and prayers are with you..... :grouphug:grouphug

:gh_run2 Run Free Romeo

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'm so very sorry. I know how hard it is. Our hearts get broken and yet we keep adopting these wonderful dogs, somehow.. somewhere it's all worth it, the love we get from them and the joy they give us, it's all worth it. God Bless and God Speed Romeo.

You brought Romeo relief and freed him. All dogs act differently. I've seen it. Some want to stay and fight it hard and don't react like you think. It is NOTHING you could have controlled or done differently. You did what was right for Romeo. Find peace. Don't revisit your decision. Osteo is a thief. Every day adds more suffering for them. Thank yourself you gave your friend the ultimate pain control. Honestly, he was the lucky one. You did right.

Guest gryhndlvr

I'm so sorry. I second guessed my decision too when the vet said my Willow was trying to breathe on her own. But this is the best you could have done for Romeo. He will run free now, and wait for you at the bridge. I'm so sorry for your loss. Run fast and free, Romeo. Hugs and white light to your family. Hold fast to the great memories. :f_white:gh_run:heart

Guest Annie

Leah, please don't let your grief make you second guess yourself. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

My Bond also required another dose, but he was in a peaceful place by then, and I am sure Romeo was too.

Your beloved boy told you it was time and you honoured him by setting him free of his terrible disease. Hold his memory close and let him comfort you.

I am so sorry for your loss. :f_red

GOD SPEED ROMEO ... :f_white:gh_run:f_white

Guest BoogieDown

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Please don't second guess; it was the ultimate gift that you could give him. Run free, Romeo.

Guest BleusysMom

Your LOVING Gift was Wonderful......Romeo Thanks You....

Now....watch the Night Sky for his Extra Bright Star, or watch for the Sunshine Ray in his Special Sleeping space.....your Boy WILL send You Both some sign that He is Pain Free and now Your Special Angel :angel ...watching Over You Both while He exercises his :angelwings :angelwings :angelwings

You're absolutely right.....there are no words to describe the pain. We had to make the exact same decision less than 5 weeks ago with our heart grey Lulu. She was only 66 lbs and it took 2 1/2 doses for her. I did not expect that and second guessed myself as they left the room to get another, but like Annie said...they were already in a peaceful place by then and it really was ok.

I know in my head that releasing our girlie from her pain when we did was the right thing to do, but I am still trying to convince my heart of the same thing. The pain is so great, and my heart is in so many pieces. The ache that is left behind is so real that most days I still just want to puke from it. Cancer is so damned unfair! Too many here have walked the same path and share your pain. I hope you can find some comfort like I did in knowing that even though others are not physically by your side, you did not travel this road alone.

The whole world looks different now without your Romeo, but know that you have one more angel to look down and watch over you. He will certainly be running pain free in good company with all those that have left before him. All those that will be waiting for us when our own days come. At the rate we have been losing our beloved greys to this horrible disease, we are all going to be welcomed by one hell of a roooooing committee at the bridge.

Gentle hugs to you during this painfully sad time.

:cry1 I'm so sorry for your loss of Romeo. Cherish the memories you have of him and he will always remain in your heart. :f_red:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I'm so sorry, and I know exactly how you feel. My Isabella's heart beat and fluttered for a long time after the shot...I know her spirit was still strong, but her body was done. When there are no better tomorrows then we have to do what's right to stop their suffering.

There are no magic words to ease your grief right now, but please know that we feel and share your pain. One day at a time. :grouphug

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest argolola

Oh Leah sweetie, I am sitting here sobbing for you.

Please know you did the right thing for your boy. You would not want him to suffer day after day. The main thing is that he knew the love of a wonderful family. You gave him the best life, and I'm sure he wouldn't change a thing.

I will be praying for you and your family. May you know comfort and peace and soon your tears will turn to smiles when you think about your precious Romeo.

I am so very sorry for your loss. The greatest gift brings the most pain for those left behind. We, too, have experienced the same reaction while helping a beloved pet cross the bridge. You know it's best, but that makes it so very much harder. May time bring you peace and memories bring you comfort. Our heart aches for you and yours.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest vahoundlover

I am so sorry. :grouphug Romeo knows he is loved and now running free of pain, he will be with you forever in your heart and memories. :grouphug Leah, you are not alone here, many of us have had to say good bye to our beloved babies, many due to cancer, some crossed over peacefully and others fought it hard. We are here for you.

Godspeed Sweet Fella :f_red

I'm so sorry. You did the right thing, he never could have beaten the monster that had ahold of him....so much of what you say is what I experienced with Buddy...he left with his head on my lap, too, it was the hardest thing EVER to tell him goodbye. Buddy, too, had cancer (lymphoma) and there is just no beating that.

I comfort myself with knowing that we WILL meet again. And knowing that every day I had him was truly a gift.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.