Billy Is Going To The Vet Again....

Guest houndlover

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest freightsmom

Sending our best wishes for Billy. I know exactly how you are feeling, I'm going thru almost the same thing with Freightliner. He lost 14 lbs in about 3 weeks and fecal and bloodwork tests so far don't tell us anything. After reading Billy's story and the other posts, I'm calling the vet in the morning and asking for additional tests be run to see if we can find the cause.

Please keep us updated with how Billy is doing. You will be in our thoughts!

Guest houndlover
I am sorry to hear about Billy. :grouphug

Tucker had the same problem awhile ago with diarrhea and loosing weight.

I ended up putting him on Natural Balance Potato & Duck and he is also on Tylan Powder with pumpkin and Beet Pulp. So far so good. Tucker has gained 10#'s back.

I hope you can find out the problem.

I remember reading about Tucker. I will ask the vet about Tylan Powder b/c the flagyl didn't do anything for him last time he was on it.

Do you think that I should ask about IV or subq fluids? I am so afraid that he is starting to get dehydrated.

Guest houndlover
Might try starting a daily diary of everything that goes on in his life to try to get to the bottom of all this. . . .That's what I've begun doing with Soul, to try and figure out what is triggering his tummy issues.

So far Billy has been on and off Big D (and the bland diet) since November and he's been dosed with Panacur? Was it just one round? Typical protocal is one round and then three weeks later another round of the meds. Did the vet put him on Flagyl at any point in time?

Just wanted to add that I'm not a big fan of Tufts in Grafton, unless you have a specific doctor in mind. When Soul had to spend the night in ICU there the Dr assigned to his case the next day was awesome, but I was less than pleased with the Emergency Room docs and his aftercare.

Instead of the homecooked bland diet you might try one of the prescription foods for intestinal health. They have more calories. Soul lost a LOT of weight on the bland diet, but the I/D diet keeps the weight on him and keeps the tummy issues at bay.

Hugs to you both :grouphug

Yes, he has had the 2 doses of panacur and he was on flagyl but it didn't help him. I am going to ask the vet about Tylan Powder instead to see if that might be an option.

I don't have a vet in mind at Tufts. Hopefully it won't get to the point where I need a 2nd opinion but thanks for the heads up.

The vet gave me Iams low residue last nite and he has been on that but still has diarrhea just as bad as before. I am hoping that you are right and the rx food will kick in soon and start to work. It did help him last time he had diarrhea (about a month ago).

Guest houndlover
Chronic Diarrhea

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=225238&hl=

I'm sorry I didn't see your threads until now, but you well know how wearing this is, and I've been worn! Our diarrhea problems with Spencer began last July. After months of tests, medicines, and poop firmers, during which we did discover that he has malabsorption syndrome and B12 deficiency, I finally insisted that they do a culture and sensitivity test on his poop and particularly to include a test for Clostridium bacteria. It was positive, and he was loaded with an overgrowth. Flagyl is one of the drugs that should work, but it hadn't. Neither had tylosin. The microbiologist put him on Simplicef for two weeks, and now he's finishing up with clindamycin. The link above goes to our last thread about this, but if you search my topics, you'll find much more. There is another link within this thread, though, called "SIBO" submitted by another poster -- Sweetdogs, I think it was. Very interesting and a great one to give to your vet to support Clostridium testing. (At least my vet was impressed!)

He also had back-end weakness that was attributed to lumbosacral stenosis, which he probably does have. But it was much worse until we corrected this problem, and the B12 really benefited him in this regard. It also seems that carbohydrates, as in veggies and grains in kibble, don't work for him at all. He has been eating steamed chicken breasts for weeks and gaining some weight back. He also regained his confident personality and the light in his eyes!

Please PM me if I can be of any help to you at all. You have absolutely ALL my sympathies and best wishes. This is a scary, exhausting problem! I'll be happy to look up the links to my other pertinent threads for you and send them if you don't have the energy.

That was an interesting article on the Clostridium bacteria. Thanks for the info! I will pass it along to my vet.

Do you think that I should ask about IV or subq fluids? I am so afraid that he is starting to get dehydrated.

The "hydration" test: Pinch up a fold of his skin, then let it go. If it quickly goes back to normal, then he's not dehydrated.

My first girl was given sub-q fluids during one bout of diarrhea. About 12 hours later, she woke me, whining and crying. She wouldn't lie down. After an hour, I started worrying about bloat or some other disaster, so I took her to the ER. The e-vets x-rayed and found no signs of bloat. What they did find, though, was that she was all "slosh-y" in her chest. The fluid had responded to gravity and settled in the bottom of her chest, and she couldn't figure out how to lie down without putting pressure on her chest and being uncomfortable.

I took her back home, piled one dog bed on top of another, pulled her close to me, and tipped her over onto her side. She gave a great, huge sigh and went straight to sleep.

So, if Billy gets sub-q fluids, expect his chest to get slosh-y. It's not dangerous--just uncomfortable. :colgate

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest houndlover

Just a quick update....Billy had his worst nite so far last nite. He was up every hour to go out and drank tons of water everytime he came back in. I have to go to work today and it is killing me that I can't be here with him but Claire is going to stop over to check on him late morning/early afternoon and then DD will be home at 2pm. I am going to call and leave a message for the vet later today. I know that she has today off but she said that she would be checking in with the girls to see if there were any problems.

I hope today is the day that I get the test results back...............

how horrible :( :( :( :(

sending many hugs and prayers you figure out what's going on! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest houndlover

I am waiting for a call from the vet. The receptionist said that Billy's test results are in and the the vet was going to call me shortly to let me know. Fingers crossed that we will finally have a dx.

I am waiting for a call from the vet. The receptionist said that Billy's test results are in and the the vet was going to call me shortly to let me know. Fingers crossed that we will finally have a dx.

Everything crossed here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest houndlover

I just got off the phone with the vet. His TLI came back negative but the test for bacterial overgrowth came back very, very, very high. She said that she is going to order Tylosin and it should be in tomorrow.

In the meantime, Claire is bringing him to the vet right now so that they can start him on iv fluids and iv antibiotics. The vet also said something about IV therapy for his kidneys b/c one of the test showed that he had a problem with his kidneys. I didn't quite follow what she was saying about his kidneys but I will get more info on that later. She is going to send out a stool sample to be cultured.

I think that is all for now. Keep sending the good thoughts and prayers....I think they are working.

Tylosin(Tylan powder) works really good for bacterial overgrowth. You might want to ask about giving Billy B12 injections also. When Fields had a severe case of SIBO he was on Tylan for 6 weeks and B12 injections for 6 weeks, and the combination really helped him improve quickly. It did take him about 3 months to get his weight back up and a single source protein helped him also.

Get well soon Billy.

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Oh, thank goodness for a diagnosis! Hope the kidney results aren't serious - I'm a little "sensitive" to kidney issues at the moment. Sending more prayers for Billy. :candle Hope his tummy is on the mend very soon.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest houndlover

Claire just emailed me and said that she and her DH dropped Billy off at the vet. Her DH stayed with Billy for his 1st bag of IV fluids and said that Billy started to perk up a little. He is getting another bag of fluids. The vet that is there today is not my regular vet but he called me to talk about Billy and said that he could do acupuncture for the diarrhea. I told him to go ahead. I have no idea if it will work or not but it definitely won't hurt.

I'm glad to hear he perked up with some fluids. Yes, acupuncture can help diarrhea--Mandy has a touchy digestive system (like so many others). I mentioned the 3 rounds of the big D, the acupuncturist checked the areas associated with the digestive system and said she was definitely "reactive". When he put the needles in, they did a little jig--he said that was because of tension and nerves. They settled down in a few minutes. It didn't relieve the diarrhea 100%, but she seemed more interested in eating and things were a little firmer.

Sending prayers for Billy.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest FordRacingRon

I stay out of the Health forums because it makes me so sad but today I went in and saw this about yoru poor Billy. All I can say is I will say as many prayers as I can that someone can figure out what is wrong with him and that he starts to mend.

Sending lots of get well thoughts and prayers!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.