Me Go Bugs, "bugsy"

Guest Jessbooch

Guest Jessbooch

It is with tears in my eyes and sadness in my heart that I post this memorial to our beloved first greyhound, Bugsy.

Bugs.jpg

Bugs was whelped in Kansas, raced in MA, then finally came home to live with me. The day I picked her up from the kennel, we drove home and I felt equal parts excited and afraid. She was beautiful, so BIG, so wonderful, and so clueless about everything in the real world. Could I teach her what she needed? Would she like living with me?

As soon as we got into the Cambridge, MA neighborhood where I lived, she wanted to greet strangers on the sidewalk outside my car. Her tail was whipping everywhere, including my face. Bugs didn't know about glass windows yet, and she must have bonked her head on the windows ten times before she finally gave up trying to say "hello" to everyone. That was her in a nutshell - so sweet, so...uncomplicated. :)

She learned about stairs and behaving in public. I learned about greyhounds and fell in love with everything the breed represents. Bugsy was my first hound, and she made me want to tell everyone in the world how amazing greyhounds are.

She was our neighborhood ambassador. She was famous among my med school classmates. Before long I'd fallen into the full greyhound culture, and she had a winter coat, stuffies, plus collars of course. I'm pretty crafty and I liked making collars for her. Before I knew what happened, ClassicHound.com was born and Bugsy was coming along with us to greyhound gatherings across the eastern coast. She was a familiar sight behind our booth at Dewey, in Lancaster, in Massachusetts and so many other places. She has met thousands of other greyhounds through the years, each uniquely wonderful but none of them as special to me as Bugsy herself will always be.

She has stayed in five-star hotels and eaten the bacon out of my room service breakfasts. She was a velcro dog, the kind who would follow me into the bathroom and afford me no privacy whatsoever. She was a gentle lady...quiet but friendly. She was a goofball: when Bugsy stayed at gazehund's house, she would take every toy out of the dog bin and spread them around the house as though it were her job, every single morning. She was a chicken, afraid of silly things like thunder. When we kept egg-laying chickens in upstate New York for a year, we actually called the birds the "Backyard Chickens" and we called Bugsy our "House Chicken."

When my husband and I were living apart in Albany, NY and Boston, MA for career reasons, she was my commute buddy. She slept in the back of the car while I drove, and anytime I stopped for takeout she got her share of the fries or else she'd pester me until she did! She has romped on the beaches of the Atlantic, and after we moved out to San Diego last year, she took a joy-run around the sands of the Pacific. She has truly had the richest life a greyhound might ever know.

Over the last year, we knew she was different. Older, sweeter, but also there was something we couldn't define; weight loss we couldn't explain, behavior changes that just weren't "her." There wasn't anything to treat, and nobody could put a finger on anything beyond old age. She was eating heartily, sunbathing on the patio, even getting into mischief. But today her right rear leg went limp, and my heart sank. Her vet finally found the cancer we'd quietly worried and wondered about...a large mass hidden well up inside her ribcage that had metastasized to the nervous system, stealing away her strength and more. We let her go peacefully this morning. Her whole family was at her side, her heart beating its last underneath my hand.

In 3 days we are leaving for Philadelphia, returning to our family region, and we'll have a house inside the park. I hoped Bugsy would romp in the woods with us at the new house. We had gotten her a fluffy new bed for those thin old bones to rest on, and were hoping she would travel comfortably on it across the country; instead it ended up being a nest where she could take that very last, very long sleep.

Leaving here for that long trip without her will be so painful, and our new home won't feel complete without her paws padding around the floors. She will join us after we arrive, when her ashes come "home" to our family at last, but of course there will never be another day like the ones we got to spend with her.

We love you, Bugsy, and will miss you more than any letter or remembrance can possibly convey.

Your family,

Jessica, Miles and Wade

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My deepest sympathy. :grouphug Run and play with our Angels at the Bridge sweetheart. :grouphug:f_pink

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so very sorry. :cry1 What a lovely tribute to a very special girl.

Godspeed Bugsy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful Bugsy. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was a lucky girl. Godspeed Bugsy! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest tricolorhounds

Oh no... not Bugs :cry1

Bugs was one of the sweetest campers we had here at Camp GreyDog. We won't ever forget you :brokenheart

... run free sweetie :gh_runner

DSC_0520.jpg

Love,

Lynnet

Copper, Savannah, Bonkers, Gain, Felicity and Cecily

Edited by tricolorhounds

I feel your heartbreak and I am so sorry.

God Speed beautiful girl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am so sorry for your loss. Your sweet Miss Bugsy will be greatly missed.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greyt2love

What a wonderful tribute to a beautiful girl. I am so sorry for your loss. Run free, Bugsy, and comfort your family on the long trip home.

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl....she had a wonderful life and hopefully, that will help get you through. God love you, Bugsy.....rest well.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)