Revolution

Guest Koalalou2

Guest Koalalou2

I'm trying to cut back on expenses and have been shopping around for a lot of things I used to just buy without really thinking. The puppies need new heartworm and flea prevention. From what I can tell, Revolution prevents both and is pretty cheap. Is that right?

We have usually done Heartguard Plus and Frontline or Comfortis but the cost is just so high!

Does Revolution irritate the skin like a lot of flea preventions? We took Holly off Frontline because she would itch for days at the application site and her fur would just clump off.

The girls stay in the yard or our neighborhood for exercise and we have never had a problem with fleas or ticks at all, but I want to make sure they are safe. Is this a good option?

In your opinion, what is the best and most cost effective option for preventing heartworm and fleas?

I generally recommend an Interceptor/Frontline Plus combo, but I have used Revolution without incident, and my vet feels it is safe. Do note that it doesn't "officially" cover as many ticks as Frontline does, though my vet feels it does have some efficacy against ticks that it is not labeled to fight.

The nice thing about it is that you *know* your dog is getting its heartworm preventative. My vet gave the example of giving her dog his HWP in the form of HeartGard, then vomitting it up a few minutes later. She was fortunately there to witness it, so ensured that he did eventually get (and digest!) the HWP. With Revolution, since it is topical, you don't have to worry about that. So, she likes to recommend Revolution and if you need extra tick protection, Preventic collars are safe for greyhounds.

Things I stay away from with greyhounds are products containing permethrin. Some greyhounds can tolerate permethrin just fine. It can kill others. I'm just not willing to take the chance.

Oh, and Revolution isn't *that* cheap, though it does cost slightly less than administering a separate HWP and flea/tick preventative.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest momofevie

With the vet's approval, Evie was on Interceptor/Revolution depending on the season for the past 2.5 years. No problems at all, and the price was certainly right. However, I recently switched to Interceptor/Frontline Plus because Revolution--like turbotaina said--doesn't cover all ticks, including deer ticks that we have to worry about in PA. Found one tick on Evie and that was it, I made the switch to Frontline. She starts her first round next week.

I was stunned at the price of Interceptor/Frontline vs. Revolution. Ouch. :eek If ticks aren't a major issue for you in Florence, I'd ask your vet about Revolution.

Guest BigPercyInMa

We use Revolution on our dogs. True, it doesn't work as well on the ticks, but if/when we have a tick problem, we use a preventic collar in addition to the Revolution. We're mainly on Revolution because of our Collie.

Percy and Keely used to be on ProHeart several years ago without any problems.

Guest hvacman250

I cant produce any proof, but I have heard from several greyhound experts that there has been a link between greyhounds and Revolution and seizures. Our group says no to Revolution; my vet did also.

When I was waiting for the vet to glue Buck up last month I had lots of time to stare at the Revolution poster in the examining room. I can't remember wht the exact #s were but it had a disclaimer something to the effect of fatalities occrred in XX% of cats receiving XX times normal dose. It is supposedly far harder on cats than dogs, I know lab tests administer many times the usual dosage, but it was wierd they'd print that disclaimer in fairly large print on the poster. There was also a disclaimer about stomach upsets in dogs, but it wasn't as dire. Didn't want to make me want to run out and buy it.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Koalalou2

Okay, sounds like I want to stay away from it since Holly tends to be sensitive to things. I guess we'll go with Interceptor/Frontline.

Okay, sounds like I want to stay away from it since Holly tends to be sensitive to things. I guess we'll go with Interceptor/Frontline.

For Frontline Plus, check the prices here. It's an Australian company. The product is the same as the U.S. product, but the Australian packaging is a bit more user-friendly than the U.S. packaging. The product ships by mail: $5 for shipping, and $1 for each additional product, so I usually buy two six-tube boxes at a time.

I stick with Interceptor from my vet since the drug company will foot the bill for treatment if the drug fails as long as I got my supply from the vet (or so I've heard). But no one guarantees flea products, so it makes more sense to shop wisely, and this site beats prices I've seen elsewhere. The package usually arrives within 10 days.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest longdogs

Revolution does exactly what it says on the box. I use it more frequently on our cats rather than the greys and the only problem I've noticed is sometimes with long-haired cats the fur can mat where it is applied, which annoys them for a day. It helped clear up Angel's ear mites and is supposed to be very effective on mange mites. The greys have never noticed it being applied or suffered any ill-effect.

Guest speedoketo

Frontline plus has an additional drug in it that keeps fleas from ever maturing to the adult/biting stage and my parents used it with varied success on their dog. I'm curious why people would be warned to not use it

Guest myneedlenose

We have used Revolution since we got Mayhem three years ago. Haven't found any side effects or negative effects as of yet and our guy doesn't even notice the monthly application during the summer months. Granted we are in Toronto Canada so ticks really aren't a big concern. Nothing seems to survive our winters in the great white north, lol.

Guest eaglflyt

For Frontline Plus, check the prices here. It's an Australian company. The product is the same as the U.S. product, but the Australian packaging is a bit more user-friendly than the U.S. packaging. The product ships by mail: $5 for shipping, and $1 for each additional product, so I usually buy two six-tube boxes at a time.

I stick with Interceptor from my vet since the drug company will foot the bill for treatment if the drug fails as long as I got my supply from the vet (or so I've heard). But no one guarantees flea products, so it makes more sense to shop wisely, and this site beats prices I've seen elsewhere. The package usually arrives within 10 days.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this link. We'll be ordering from this company. :colgate

Before you order from Petshed check out Pets Megastore, again from Australia for Frontline plus. Last time I checked they had 6 month supply for large dog priced at $41.30 free shipping if you spend over $100.00 dollars Australian. The prices on Pets Megastore seem to fluctuate but they are the cheapest I've found lately.