Romeo Is Limping And I Am Worried Out Of My Mind.

Guest Leah

Romeo our big boy has been limping for about 2 1/2 weeks now. 2 weeks ago we took him to the vet for x-rays. The x-rays were clean and the vet thought it might just be arthritis. He has been taking tramadol. We went to Sandy Paws last Thursday and he stayed with a friend. We came home and his limping seemed worse. My friend said it seemed to get worse when the weather turned rainy. I called the vet back today and she said before we do another x-ray to try rimadyl with the tramadol. She said the rain would make the arthritis worse. I am picking up the rimadyl tomorrow. I am worried sick. Romeo is our first greyhound. He is my big baby. I can not believe this might be happening. I can't help but imagine the worst :( Everytime I look at him I want to cry :(:(

Edited by Leah

Guest greydogluvr

I am so sorry. I suggest sending the x-rays to Dr. Couto for a reading. This may help give you some peace of mind. I did this with Willie's x-rays and he was just so gracious and supportive. Best of luck and big hugs to your precious Romeo.

Guest MAXNAV

He may have inflammation somewhere. Tramadol will take care of some of the pain, but deramaxx or metacam will help with inflammation. My collie would start limping sometimes, and I figured out each time that he had actually pulled a muscle when running hard and coming down on his front legs (and after full vet check), and the deramaxx would take care of any swelling. If he needed tramadol, I would also give that to him. I would not give them at the same time though. Deramaxx 50mg in the a.m. and tramadol 50mg in the evening or vise versa. (He was a BIG collie at 82lbs.) He had a weak stomach when taking meds, so that's why I had to separate them. Hope he's feeling better.

I'm sorry your boy is limping. It's so scary.

Do check for corns. Take a flashlight and examine each pad, rubbing on a little oil or water. Sometimes the corns are so small, they are barely detectable. We went through the whole x-ray routine and lots of $$$ before we discovered a tiny corn--small are round, almost flat to the surface. It must have been very deep and it's taken almost a year for it to be resolved. Just a thought.

Good luck to you both.

sending prayers !!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Leah - I finally met Romeo this weekend at Totty and he was a love. He came up to me for pets and affection - I hope Romeo gets better quick - :bighug to you all.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Lots of prayers coming from here. He may just need that anti inflammatory. We'll be hoping for nothing more serious than arthritis.

Easy to say I know, but please try not to panic.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

oh, I'm so sorry you're so worried. Glad you emailed Dr. Couto. I hope Romeo is going to be okay!! Sending LOTS of good thoughts!

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'd get a second opinion. Your vet sounds lazy, honestly. Has he or she suggested testing for tick borne diseases?

I think it's really unlikely that two weeks on Rimadyl wouldn't relieve arthritis pain. My Kramer had TERRIBLE arthritis, but the medications WORK.

If after two weeks they're not working, then the vet needs to reconsider that it's arthritis!

Susan, arthritis sufferer

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I received a reply to my email, but it was from Dr Marin. Does that mean I sent the email to the wrong place? She suggested a visit to an orthopedic surgeon. I still would like to get Dr Couto's opinion.

Susan, Romeo has not been on rimadyl just the tramadol. Sorry for the confusion.

I am picking up the rimadyl tonight. We will be in for more x-rays and tests reguardless of how he seems to be feeling with the rimadyl. I want to know what's going on with my big boy :(

Sending good thoughts to Romeo, I hope he feels better with the new meds.

It was probably just him and Iceman romping and acting like kids in Totty's yard. :)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest boondog
I received a reply to my email, but it was from Dr Marin. Does that mean I sent the email to the wrong place? She suggested a visit to an orthopedic surgeon. I still would like to get Dr Couto's opinion.

Susan, Romeo has not been on rimadyl just the tramadol. Sorry for the confusion.

I am picking up the rimadyl tonight. We will be in for more x-rays and tests reguardless of how he seems to be feeling with the rimadyl. I want to know what's going on with my big boy :(

Dr. Marin works closely with Dr. Couto. I hope you get some answers soon.

I forgot to mention I also met the famous Iceman as well this weekend. What a beautiful boy you have Alicia.

Maddie is sending good thoughts to Romeo (who looks almost like her)

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest greytkidsmom

Hopefully it is something simple and not something bad.

Romeo is lucky to have you checking and double-checking to rule out badness.

Hugs to you and your handsome boy.

Sending lots of prayers and healing thoughts! Hope it's nothing too serious and that he's feeling better soon.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest greydogluvr
I received a

reply to my email, but it was from Dr Marin. Does that mean I sent the

email to the wrong place? She suggested a visit to an orthopedic

surgeon. I still would like to get Dr Couto's opinion.

I

am picking up the rimadyl tonight. We will be in for more x-rays and

tests reguardless of how he seems to be feeling with the rimadyl. I

want to know what's going on with my big boy sad.gif

Dr. Marin works closely with Dr. Couto. I hope you get some answers soon.

When I e mailed Dr. Couto regarding Willie, Dr Marin responded to me as

well. The advice I received was right on. I believe that Dr. Couto has

great respect for Dr. Marin or he would not allow the responses. I bet the consulted prior as well.

Edited by greydogluvr

You could have new xrays sent to OSU for their evaluation if it would make you feel better. Anti-inflammatories sound like a good place to start. I'm not too crazy about giving pain meds alone without a dx. Sending gentle hugs and praying that it's just a little sprain or strain somewhere.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest ss556

Sending my prayers. Your Romeo looks like my Alan and I understand the first greyhound, the big baby, etc. Hugs & scritches and hoping for a good outcome.

Guest Greensleeves

I know how hard it is not to worry, but there are MANY things that can cause limps that are far more likely than cancer, particularly because the X-rays are clean. A soft-tissue injury, for instance (pulled muscle, swollen ligaments, etc). Whistler had occasional limping and lameness *for years,* and always had clean X-rays. The best we could figure was an old soft-tissue racing injury that would act up now and then.

Don't think the worst until you have reason to.

Good luck!

Just checking in to send more good thoughts. :grouphug:goodluck :goodluc :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.