My Best Friend Willow

Guest gryhndlvr

Guest gryhndlvr

I want you all to know my Willow....and not just about her sudden departure (4/28/98 - 3/12/09), but her wonderful life! Thank you all for your support and prayers.

Willow was a shy one when we first met at the fosters. When she came around the corner and I saw her beautiful brindle self my heart melted. She came ever so hesitantly to me and put her head into my armpit (a posture that would forever remain our favorite together). How do you walk away from that? We were her third family. She had been rehomed twice for sleep agression, and was reluctant to trust, but we never had a problem with it. Willow quickly established her place in my house and my heart. Willow's favorite early game was to go into the yard and chase the tennis ball I threw against the fence. After a few months, though, she abandoned that game for better ones, like "cat play" (acting like a cat in posture and play) or horsing around chasing me from room to room or around in the grass. We live on a cul-de-sac and she lived for the times when my daughter would take her to the open end of the street while I would stand at the closed end. My daughter would let her off lead and she would run like the wind to me...so happy and so proud and so excited. Truly a favorite game for her and great for us...we got to see her heart in those moments. She loved to sing when I sang...she would roo to cover my voice. She quickly destuffed all new toys, and divested them of squeakers. Her favorite toy was just the head part of a once stuffed and squeaky moose. She would not allow me to go to bed in peace without the usual floor snuggle and two cookies. She was, figuratively and literally, my shadow. In the shower? Poking at least her head in. Always in the kitchen helping me cook or clean or empty the trash. Sitting at the computer she had to come put her head under my arm and help. But my favorite was that she would come at me with her head down and push the top of her head into my chest and just stand like that for the longest time, or if I was not in a good position for that, then she would push her head under my arm (almost in my armpit) and just be quiet and calm there...indefinitely.

Her favorite treats to share were pop tarts - she knew the sound of the packaging right off and was nearly in my lap. She also loved applesauce and mandarin oranges. Crazy girl.

She was crazy enthusiastic when I came home from work...I was definitely the deal for her. I loved that!

Walks were nearly everyday, and our special time. I'll never forget the first day she saw a rabbit. Must have been late last fall. All those walks in 6 years and no rabbits (lots of cats, people, and other dogs, though)! She saw the rabbit first and nearly pulled me off my feet! It was startling, but fun to see her go back to her "roots".

She had to be wherever I was...could not bear for me to be out of her sight for more than a minute before she would come and find me. I loved that too.

She was my hearthound, my partner. We were always close, always together, and everything I did included her if I could, or concerned how to best make her happy if she had to be here alone.

In August we adopted a cat, Moko. Willow was not rated cat safe, but I knew her, and really trusted that it would work. The adjustment time was so brief it surprised all of us. They had a lot of fun being together and playing once in awhile these last months.

One of our most favorite recent outings was to take her up on the Colorado National Monument (we live in western Colorado). She was so happy to get to GO so far and get out and about in the wilderness so often on our drive.

Her running dreams that caused her to incessantly scratch the walls and bark or growl at the rabbit were a source of many lost sleep hours, but funny too. And her needlenose poking into bags at the door in search of what we might have brought for her (because of couse all things are for the greyhound).

It is too quiet, too empty. No cold nose, no wet tongue, no soulful eyes. I miss you baby girl. Run fast and free.

Guest GreytMuse

What a moving tribute and celebration of your lives together. You have captured her spirit so well, thank you for letting me know your girl even if just a little! :heart

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug She sounds like a wonderful girl.

What a beautiful soul and a perfect fit. She obviously tried out different families until she found yours! May your wonderful memories bring you peace and comfort.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Thank you so much for sharing her story with us.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BellesDad

Godspeed Willow.

Jo,

I'm so sorry for Willow. The pain and emptiness is so hard. I live alone and Belle was the love of my life.

I hope Willow and Belle are playing together now.

I am so sorry for your loss. You paint a wonderful picture of the life and love that you shared with Willow....those memories will always live on. :f_pink:grouphug

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

What a nice tribute to your girl....I'm so sorry. You'll have those memories forever. Rest well, sweet girl.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

That is a Beautiful Tribute... She was a very special girl. I am so sorry. :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest lovemyhounds

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Willow. It sounds like the two of you were meant to be together. With you, she found her true home.