Introducing Barney

Guest BarneysMom

Guest BarneysMom

Hello,

My name is Patty and my husband Josh and I adopted our first greyhound Barney about 2 months ago.

I am originally from Germany. We now live in Centennial, Colorado.

I have been reading a lot of interesting and helpful posts on this forum, it is very reassuring especially for new greyhound parents like us, to have this resource!

Barney is a 4 1/2 year old retired racer and seems to have done pretty well according to the greyhound data website.

However, the foster family said that he was so underfed, they didnt even know how he made it to Colorado.

He apparently almost died on his way from Arizona, where he raced.

The foster family kept him for 2 months, because he was in no condition to get adopted when he arrived. They pretty much saved his life.

Josh and I were looking into adopting a greyhound for quite a while and went to several meet'n greets.

We wanted every single one that we saw! But I never had a dog before, just cats, so even though I was excited about getting a greyhound, I was very nervous at the same time.

Meeting Barney was kind of like a blind date, because the foster family didn't put his picture on the adoption website.

They were worried that he was still too rough looking.

We still went to meet him, and when I saw him, all anxiety was gone. It definitely was love at first sight! We brought him home the very next day.

Barney had a couple of health problems at first. We spend quite some time and money at the vet! Everytime we went he had something else!

Diarrhea, ear infection, an infection in his GI tract, tapeworm... then after a blood test, we found out that he is hypo-thyroid which probably explains all the other health problems.

He is taking his supplements now and is so much better. :)

He is probably still in the process of getting used to us, but he has been very good so far. He is such a smart and sweet dog, he cuddles with us, makes us laugh with his goofy ways and plays like a puppy.

We taught him "sit", "wait" and "lay down", however, he doesn't always want to listen.

He doesn't do our stairs - and we wonder whether he ever will. We know he knows how to go upstairs, because he goes up concrete stairs outside in front of a school.

Our stairs are normal, carpeted stairs. At first we were worried, because our bedroom is upstairs, and we wanted him to sleep there with us.

And he definitely didn't like to be alone downstairs the first two nights.

We tried a lot of things, including carrying him up. But he just doesnt seem to like it there. And... he walked DOWN the stairs by himself!

Now, he is very content sleeping on his bed or in his crate downstairs. Maybe one day he will decide he wants to be with us upstairs too.

I am so happy we got him, I can't believe how much we love him already!

Anyway, here he is.

Thank you for reading this long post!

Patty

IMG_1632-1-1-1.jpg

Guest Morgaynn

Welcome to GT Patty n Barney. Congratulations on your new houndie and welcome to the "Grey Side" of life. Only 2 months in with him? He really will surprise you. We adopted Nike 6 months ago and everyday is something new and exciting with her. A year from now you'll barely recognize the sweet, sick, scared boy you brought home! Nike and me look forward to hearing about your many adventures with Barney!

GT has been an invaluable resource for Nike and I both on more than just a dog/owner informational basis. The people here really connect with you and our furkids on so many levels. Welcome to the Club from Central Ohio.

Welcome from Maryland! He certainly looks happy and comfortable in your home! Gotta love those tuxedo boys - all dressed up and ready to go!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Welcome to greyhounds and GreyTalk!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest pedalmasher

I'm glad that sweet boy found such a great permanent home. In regards to stairs, My Kitty girl seems to have no interest in negotiating the stairs leading up to the master bedroom and happily sleeps downstairs where I slept with her for the first week (I have had her for about 4 months now). The master bedroom is crowded enough anyway with a Lab and two cats sharing the space with us. Needless to say, we get some rather enthusiastic greetings when we come down in the morning. :)

Welcome from Michigan! :gh_bow

Barney will surprise you as his true personality shines through .... and I'm sure one day soon he'll tackle those stairs.

Thank you for adopting him and gving him a forever home!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest dsszarzi

Welcome from Wheat Ridge, CO! We're new to GreyTalk too. Our little girl (Beanie) is also 4-1/2 years old and a black and white tuxedo. Maybe Barney & Beanie should meet sometime. :)

Sandy

Guest BarneysMom

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome!

@ Sandy: Beanie and Barney - that sounds great! They really should meet sometime! :)

Also, here are a few more pictures - I am still having trouble taking a good pic of him standing up, because he keeps following me around!!

We got him a coat for frigid Colorado days, but he just wouldnt pose for me... :)

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1644-1.jpg

Welcome from MA! Your Barney reminds me of my Shadow. Love them black boys :wub:

I grew up in CO and my parents still live in Parker. Love to hear from CO peeps - especially those with greys! :P

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest dsszarzi
Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome!

@ Sandy: Beanie and Barney - that sounds great! They really should meet sometime! :)

Also, here are a few more pictures - I am still having trouble taking a good pic of him standing up, because he keeps following me around!!

We got him a coat for frigid Colorado days, but he just wouldnt pose for me... :)

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1644-1.jpg

Hi Patty,

Beanie and Barney--how cute! What adoption group did you go through? Maybe we could meet at one of the reunions, events, or meet and greets. Here's a pic of Beanie. She roaches too! I bet they would really like each other.

Sandy

IMG_0525.jpg

Edited by dsszarzi

Welcome to GT from PA! Having Barney sleep happily downstairs isn't such a bad thing. My husband (not a dog person) took 18 years to decide to find out what he's been missing all this time. He also happens to be a light sleeper. So, when Ringo moved in and came up to our bedroom that first night, he laid right down on his bed and began a loooonnnnggggg bath. When he was finally done and we were just drfting off to sleep, it was time to get up, stretch and shake out. Even though his ears aren't very long, they do slap loudly when he shakes his head. Oh, then there was the most foul gas ever as his sensitive digestive system worked on the "cat treats" he found in the litterbox. Have you ever been "farted awake" by a silent but deadly. :puke

Needless to say, that is all behind us now and we are all sleeping soundly in the same room. Ringo has earned the nickname "Slappy" though :lol

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.