We Need Prayers. For Me And Beau

RobinM

Sending my many prayers. I know your frustration and despair so well...we went through this with Angels Queenie and LaceyLaine...it makes you feel so helpless. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin, you are doing an amazing job with all you are dealing with. My offer to you still stands. If you need a relief "sitter" I'm happy to come out and give you a break. I promise to get over my FOS (fear of suburbia)!!! You are only a train ride away. Is there any other mild white fish similar to tilapia that Beau might like? Maybe just a slight taste difference would tempt him. Sending lots of hugs, prayers and good thoughts.

OK- Todays news.

He ate 1062 calories of 1500 he should have yesterday.

Today he ate 195. NOT GOOD.

His labs were perfect and from a medical standpoint he is doing fine according to my vet. :huh

I asked if we could try adding in the Z/D with the tilapia- she said sure. DH should be home in 10 minutes to try food with him again.

MaryJane- Natural Balance has too many ingredients in it. I can only have one ingredient OR a hydrolized hypoallergenic food. (z/d)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad
OK- Todays news.

His labs were perfect and from a medical standpoint he is doing fine according to my vet. :huh

I asked if we could try adding in the Z/D with the tilapia- she said sure. DH should be home in 10 minutes to try food with him again.

MaryJane- Natural Balance has too many ingredients in it. I can only have one ingredient OR a hydrolized hypoallergenic food. (z/d)

did u ask about the wolfberry?

OK- Todays news.

did u ask about the wolfberry?

no, have not spoken to nutrionalist yet, but I did look at ingedients. For an IBD, you can only add one ingredient in at a time and wait a week to see if there is any reaction. If there is non, you can add in another, etc.

There are several different ingredients in that so I can almost guarantee that it will be a no no

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest myjazzy
Robin, I'm so sorry things are not getting better. I think the sulfasalazine is something to consider asking the vet about.

I remember you mentioning that Beau loved the tilapia treats. but you couldn't get them anymore. If he can still have the fish, you could make him some by dehydrating the fish. I have a friend who used a dehydrator for making treats for her dogs.

I don't know if you believe in animal communicators, but it may be worth a try to see if Beau has something to tell you that could help you.

I hope his labs are ok. At least his weight it still going up and not down, but I know how emotionally draining all this is.

:bighug

We have the dehydrator. We've been doing the fish dehydration since Thursday night. He doesn't like them like he likes the commerical ones. He will eat them 50% of the time. The other 50% he either walks away, takes it and drops it somewhere else or my favorite... chews them up and spits them up. Between the cooked tilpaia I am picking up all over my house and the dehydrated fish...

Hmm... He is picky. What do you think the difference is between the store bought and the homemade treats?

At least his labs are fine and he is definitely absorbing, because he's slowly gaining weight.

Just out of curiosity, did he have a favorite food before all this started, or has it always been hit or miss with him liking sttuff? I know you are very limited as to what you can give him, but if there is something he really likes, maybe you can find something he can eat that tastes like or similar to it. I'm just kind of throwing things out there, even if they are a little off the wall.

With the z/d are you trying the canned, kibble or a combination?

Right now I'm blessed with chow hounds who would like to make everybody believe that they are never fed. When I've had a foster that doesn't seem to take to the food I feed the others, I either put some canned food or yougurt or both and that seems to solve the problem.

But you are not only dealing with the fact that he is picky, but are limited by what you can give him.

Know that we are all thinking about you and trying to send messages to Beau to eat.

DH got a little bit of fish and a little bit of kibble into him. Crawling around on his knees chasing him from room to room it got 396 calories in him at 3:15. He has had a total of 747 calories and he refused kibble. The kibble s filling him up and not giving him the amount of calories he needs.

at this time last week we were at over 1200 calories. I still think it's the imuran.

Vet agreed that since we uped the pred we could stop the imuran and see how he does.

Edited by RobinM

Bless you and DH for hanging in there with Beau. I just cannot imagine how excruciating this whole process has been for everyone! Prayers and hugs all around.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Robin, I feel so badly for you, your DH, and Beau! :grouphug I can't help but think that poor Beau is probably hungry, but afraid to eat because of what the consequences have been in the past (abd. pain, D, etc.). He does take some food, and he should be ravenous on the pred....so it could be partially psychological. Reminds me of when cats have a UTI - they stop using the litterbox because they associate it with pain.

The only other thing I can think that I'd investigate, if Beau were mine, is if maybe he could be started on some type of SSRI, which might reduce his anxiety over eating as well as increase his appetite a little more. I know, another pill, just what you don't want to hear. But maybe you could ask your docs' opinions on this?

I'm glad to hear his weight is up!

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Robin..when do you see the nutritionist? I am anxious what he has to recommend to help you get to the bottom of this.

donna

We should be getting the call from the nutrionalist at UPenn today.

He actually did better last night, and 3AM and this morning for breakfast. Yesterday we got the 1500 calories in him through z/d and tilapia.

as long as he eats it and he can tolerate it. I am thrilled to have him eat it.

I am so glad to hear that Beau ate better last night. I will be interested to hear what the nutritionist says today. Keeping all our fingers and paws crossed.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest myjazzy
I am so glad to hear that Beau ate better last night. I will be interested to hear what the nutritionist says today. Keeping all our fingers and paws crossed.

:nod

Guest SoulsMom

Robin, just something to think about when you talk to the nutrionalist . . .for IBD in humans it has recently been shown that the high Omega six in tilapia has been causing adverse effects. I don't know if this would be the same for a canine, but your nutrionalist might have an idea.

:grouphug

Thinking of you all and sending healing prayers to give strength, hoping the situation improves more and more everyday for Beau....

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Greensleeves
I would love to open a bag of kibble, add some water and wet food and be done with it!!!

Believe me, I know. I KNOW (I've been through two severely anorexic dogs). But it's probably not realistic.

I've said this before, but I wish with all my heart that we had thought to syringe feed Nelly right from the very beginning. It would have saved so much stress and sanity--for her *and* us. It was so much easier than we ever thought, and so much better on everyone.

For days he'll eat, fine. For days he's only willing to swallow 100 calories on his own? Don't be afraid to do it for him.

Remember how thin he is. Remember how bad he's felt. And remember that dogs in the wild don't eat every day. If he has a good day today, it's perfectly natural that he might not be hungry tomorrow. I have immune-mediated IBS, which is obviously nowhere near as severe as IBD in dogs... and yeah: you get used to not eating. When you're sick, feeding yourself starts to seem like a full-time job. He's just as tired of this as you are.

Seriously: please give some thought to syringe feeding. Even knowing it's an option can help alleviate so much of your worry right now (which is that he'll starve). It doesn't have to be every meal. It doesn't have to be forever. But it SHOULD be an option.

Hugs and good luck.

Guest EmilyAnne

I am just now reading this thread and I am so sorry for what a very frusturating situation you all are going through. I have no experience with this and no advice to offer. Just hugs and prayers for you all.

:bighug