When Do You Relax?

kamsmom

My new girl Madi is almost 2. She broke her right rear hock in November and it was repaired on Nov. 22. She had her last bandage change in the middle of January. I feel like I am walking on egg shells around her. :( I am always so scared when the other dogs start dancing around her. Is this normal? Should I be this worried? How long should I "protect" her and keep her from running around. I have seen that she doesn't have a lot of muscle tone on her right side. I am walking her around the neighborhood hoping to help her build that up. I have only had her for 4 days now but am just wondering about all the "what ifs".

Here is a gratuitous picture of her :) Just because...

Madi016.jpg

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

She's so beautiful!

I know it's hard when they've had a big injury. I don't think you ever lose the "what if" gulp and lump in your throat. I would probably work on her muscle tone and stamina for a few more weeks before letting her have limited "normal" playtime with her sisters. Though in general, I do think that she'll let you know what she's ready for.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Looking at the photos her leg looks DANG GOOD!!!

I would check and see exactly what the break was. A broken hock can be lots of different things, so I would check exactly what it was and what if any surgery was done.

With all that said and taken into consideration :)

I would start allowing her some off leash time, by herself and just limit it. The walks are great as well.

Also was she in a kennel during rehab? or foster home? Reason I ask is if it was kennel then she has been more than likely allowed off leash in the turn out area since day one after the break.

Guest GreytMuse

Beth, I wouldn't hesitate to call either Dr. Soileau or Dr. Ellis at VCA Park Preston (GALT's vet) or the Surgery Center where she had her hock fixed. I'm guessing they can provide you with at least some sort of timeline (how many weeks/months etc. she should have restricted movement). If you can't reach the vet directly, ask to leave a voicemail, and just say you have a GALT dog and have a question. They give extreme preferential treatment to our hounds. :)

Looking at the photos her leg looks DANG GOOD!!!

I would check and see exactly what the break was. A broken hock can be lots of different things, so I would check exactly what it was and what if any surgery was done.

With all that said and taken into consideration :)

I would start allowing her some off leash time, by herself and just limit it. The walks are great as well.

Also was she in a kennel during rehab? or foster home? Reason I ask is if it was kennel then she has been more than likely allowed off leash in the turn out area since day one after the break.

Ok, I went and pulled her paperwork. She had a comminuted right central tarsal fracture with a fourth tarsal bone fracture as well. She has two screws that were placed. The report says restricted activity for 8 weeks. Madi was in a foster home and was crated and leash walked.

I'm fine with doing what ever is needed to be done. Like I said, I just feel so nervous about anything she does. I've never felt this way before and just feel like maybe I am "overprotecting" her. Or maybe that I am restricting her too much. I know she wants to play with the other girls outside and I haven't let her. She tries to initiate play with Carmen and I have stopped her.

Beth, I wouldn't hesitate to call either Dr. Soileau or Dr. Ellis at VCA Park Preston (GALT's vet) or the Surgery Center where she had her hock fixed. I'm guessing they can provide you with at least some sort of timeline (how many weeks/months etc. she should have restricted movement). If you can't reach the vet directly, ask to leave a voicemail, and just say you have a GALT dog and have a question. They give extreme preferential treatment to our hounds. :)

I will give them a call as well. Dr. Lange did the surgery at DVSC. Thanks :)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
She had a comminuted right central tarsal fracture with a fourth tarsal bone fracture as well.

Probably one of the most common fractures with a racing greyhound.

What happens is it's a compression fracture, as they go around the turn most weight is put on the front right and back right leg.

I agree with checking with the vet that treated her.

If it was my hound, I think I would continue with the walks and also add in a bit of restricted play time for only her. Watch and see how she handles that.

I wouldn't worry to much about the other hounds bumping her, such as in the house and things like that. Well unless she is really unstable on that leg. Does she put full weight on the leg? Or is she just toeing it down?

She puts all weight on it. The foster said that she was holding it up at times but I haven't seen her do it at all. She even has tried to run up and down the stairs. I have stopped her from doing it by holding her collar going both ways.

Thanks for the advice... I have never felt so unsure before. I have had all kinds of dogs in my life but have never had one that had any injury.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Sure sounds like she's ready to start using it more and more.

I would say, small steps to start getting her back to "normal" life.

Of course you have to restrict a bit cause some of these hounds just don't know any better to stop when it hurts.

5 years later and I still don't relax and obviously with all the jumping, zoomies, spins, twirls, slipping, falling and just general running around he is fine.

Cody had pretty restricted activity (leash walking and running around the house) for about 6 months before I let him go full bore at the dog park. He broke his leg in Oct, had surgery in Nov which resulted in a plate and 7 screws, then had the plate and screws removed in Feb and then it was May or June before I took him to the park. He has also been getting glucosamine, MSM and shark cartilage since day one as well.

Pavé Maria retired at almost age 5 with a hock fracture. She has a large plate and screws. She was leash pottied only for 7 months. She was crazy in the house even casted and it scared me to death. She now runs and plays outside...but when she runs...she lifts that leg and goes on just three legs. Even with all of our rehab...she has quite a limp some days...but walks on all four. Her limp is most pronounced when she gets up from her bed or off the couch. Her limp and her running on 3 certainly is of NO handicap to her! :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
5 years later and I still don't relax and obviously with all the jumping, zoomies, spins, twirls, slipping, falling and just general running around he is fine.

Have a Rita and relax Jay :P

Have a Rita and relax Jay :P

:P

Daddy worries about his boy! :)

Guest crazy4greys

My girl Lola had a broken leg in August 2007. I never really thought about it because I did not adopt her until April 5, 2008.

She does run in the back yard, but not as hard as the other 3. She is the one who does most of the barking to get them to run. :P

She is on Springtime Fresh Factors and Joint Health.

Cody had pretty restricted activity (leash walking and running around the house) for about 6 months before I let him go full bore at the dog park. He broke his leg in Oct, had surgery in Nov which resulted in a plate and 7 screws, then had the plate and screws removed in Feb and then it was May or June before I took him to the park. He has also been getting glucosamine, MSM and shark cartilage since day one as well.

Who and where do you get the glucosamine, MSM and shark cartilage from? Also how much do you give him?

If she's already putting full weight on it, you'll be OK! Her leg looks great. And she's young - my broken legged foster was 2 also and she bounced back like nothing happened! And our current broken legged gal is also young, and she's the same.

Leash walk, restrict activity for 8 weeks, but don't worry! She'll be fine. :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Who and where do you get the glucosamine, MSM and shark cartilage from? Also how much do you give him?

http://www.greyhoundgang.org

1/2 teaspoon of each once a day. I just put it in his kibble at dinner and put a little water in to mix it up.

In answer to your original post...

In my house with my 4 hounds. Relax= NEVER.

I agree with adding the glucosomine from greyhound gang.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I was on a site that a vet discussed this exact break. They said it would be 8 to 12 months of rest. No running. Slade I believe had this happen to him also. He runs like crazy and occasionally he seems to slip with that leg. But my yard has a very steep slant to it so I think he does very well. this is the site I think I was on http://www.greyhound-data.com/index.htm?z=JA-NYB. Hope this helps

I was on a site that a vet discussed this exact break. They said it would be 8 to 12 months of rest. No running. Slade I believe had this happen to him also. He runs like crazy and occasionally he seems to slip with that leg. But my yard has a very steep slant to it so I think he does very well. this is the site I think I was on http://www.greyhound-data.com/index.htm?z=JA-NYB. Hope this helps

Do you mean months or were you meaning to say weeks?