Holistic Treatment (rambling)

This is very long and I'm sorry but there's a lot of history here. I had lunch today with an old friend of mine, who also happens to be a vet. When she first got out of vet school she began practicing as a visiting vet and I used her for years (before I had greyhounds). She finally opened a practice in town and hired some good vets so she could continue her visiting business. I stuck with her for as long as I could but when I moved out to the country her business had grown so much the waiting time for a home visit was way too long. I found another vet closer to home. Even so, she did come out to help Ellie, my Scottie, cross over 8 years ago. When I got the diagnosis on Lewis and decided not to amputate, she was the first person I thought of. She is the one I want when it's his time. Anyway, we had lunch and I told her everything that was going on...what meds he on, how he's feeling, what I'm feeding, etc. She's really gotten into the whole "holistic" approach...that is her focus right now. Her other vets take care of everything else. I'm not sure I bought everything she was talking about, but her take on diet and herbal treatment kind of made sense. She's not into a raw diet but more of a "crock-potted" diet with chicken or turkey (with additionally cooked mashed bones), rice, barley and vegetables rather than kibble and canned food to try and reduce his carbs. She also suggested garlic, tumeric, mushrooms (for immune support), Essiac (sp?), Wei Qi Booster and Stasis Breaker. I'm looking at this piece of paper she wrote out for me and I think that's it...the salmon, I already do. I know none of this will cure his OS, but has anyone had any experience with this holistic approach? I forgot to mention that she told me not to change anything with his Tramadol and Meloxicam but did say something about switching to Piroxicam in place of the Meloxicam (and upping the Tramadol) if his pain seems worse. I haven't run out to buy any of this yet...I thought I would check with the experts first. Any thoughts or advice?

On a bright note, Lewis is doing great right now...no sign of a limp, eating like a pro, playing like a puppy, it's all good. We've had some funky weather for the past couple of days but the sun finally came out and this afternoon, we got some good play time in. Someone who didn't know wouldn't think there was a thing wrong with him...I have to smack myself sometimes.

Thanks!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

If trying to manage osteo, I'd cut out the rice and barley entirely- and try more turmeric. There are anecdotes (and I stress- just anecdotes) of people being cured of osteo with turmeric (!). Now, that may be a steaming pile, I dunno.

But restricting carbs may certainly have some value for management. I can't speak intelligently to the drug choices, but carb restriction- there may be something to it.

ETA:

http://talentedanimals.com/blog/?p=55

And feel free to Google up "turmeric" + "osteosarcoma."

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

If trying to manage osteo, I'd cut out the rice and barley entirely- and try more turmeric. There are anecdotes (and I stress- just anecdotes) of people being cured of osteo with turmeric (!). Now, that may be a steaming pile, I dunno.

But restricting carbs may certainly have some value for management. I can't speak intelligently to the drug choices, but carb restriction- there may be something to it.

ETA:

Interesting...she was right on the mark with most of it other than the rice and barley. I've printed the blog and will take that with me to Whole Foods. Thank you so much!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I don't really understand the holistic approach but if she's not telling you to change his traditional meds and just to add what she suggests, it can't hurt or do any harm, right?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest dogdaze

That's great that Lewis is doing so well. I have a juicer and I give all my dogs fresh vegetable juice with their food (Carrots, broccili, Kale, Celery etc)They also get Vit C and Vit E and a bit of Selenium . All these maintain healthy immune systems. I also alternate high quality kibble with homemade food which has vegetables, lentils and fish- cod or whitefish and I grate some apples over it. They really love it.

Not dog related, but I think it pertains:

A friend of mine was diagnosed with 4th stage prostate cancer nearly 4 years ago. He's a very spiritual and upbeat guy and chose to do a holistic approach to treatment than the traditional chemo/radiation/surgery route. His diet is very exacting and he takes like 300 pills (supplements and vitamins and what all) a day. But he's still alive and doing remarkably well. His PSA is now in the normal range and his traditional doctors say his cancer is in remission.

So it can work.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest taylorsmom

ETA:

ahicks, you never cease to amaze me!!! Who knew--turmeric???? I googled turmeric and osteosarcoma and was amazed at some of the research findings. I am tucking that nice tidbit away, and hope I never have to use it in the future. I am a big advocate of holistic treatment, and it sounds like you (the original poster!) are getting some good info to help your Lewis in the fight against his osteo--best of luck to you!

Guest greydogluvr

Though I opted to amputate and pursue chemo with Willie, I am an advocate of the holistic approach. Prior to my choice to amputate I was following an alternate treatment suggested by my regular vet. It consisted of Artimisinin, salmon oil, antioxidants and a high fat, low carb diet. Now that he is having chemo I have stopped the artimisinin (at OSU recommendation) but will start again once his chemo is complete. So.... I guess I am doing a combo of traditional and holistic approaches to treating his osteo. I am going to look into tumeric.

I hope queenwinniesmom sees this. She followed a alternative treatment with great success.

Edited by greydogluvr

ahicks, you never cease to amaze me!!! Who knew--turmeric???? I googled turmeric and osteosarcoma and was amazed at some of the research findings. I am tucking that nice tidbit away, and hope I never have to use it in the future. I am a big advocate of holistic treatment, and it sounds like you (the original poster!) are getting some good info to help your Lewis in the fight against his osteo--best of luck to you!

Friend-of-a-friend: cousin living in a country with poor health care options had osteosarcoma. Treated with absolute gobs of turmeric- nothing else- and the tumor just disappeared.

So- there you have it. Word-of-mouth of a rumor from someone who doesn't even pass the 6th degrees of separation test. Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Consider it disclaimed.

ETA: Therapy consisted of honey mixed with turmeric that was purchased in *pound* quantities at a food store. Apparently that's a traditional Asian therapy? I dunno. Kid was given 6 months, and when he showed up at a doctor's appointment a year later- with no signs of cancer at all- the doctor was very surprised.

Purely anecdotal.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest FullMetalFrank

If it were me, and one of my dogs in a similar situation, I would probably give it a try. After doing whatever research I could, of course. If it can improve his quality of life for whatever time he has left with you, what's to lose? That is how I look at it.

Edited to add; I forgot to send more prayers for your sweet Lewis!

Edited by FullMetalFrank

The only thing I'd be careful with is essiac. It is a potent herb combination & you shouldn't give it on top of everything else without reviewing it with your vet. Chinese herbs are usually pretty potent too so ditto on the Wei Qi.

Did she mention artemisinin? Also an herb & found to be helpful for OS.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

It's funny that you bring up a "crock-potted" type of diet because I have just recently starting doing "bones" in a crock-pot so they will be soft enough to be made into mush to provide their "calcium" (rather than giving pills). I'm also experimenting with some "complete meals" from the crock-pot. Please note, that I have already been feeding my dog(s) a home-made diet for years and they have done exceedingly well on it. Their poops are pretty firm without being "cement" and they go "crazy" at food time because they love their food. I never considered it to be "holistic" diet but I guess you could call it that.

I started feeding home-made because for years I have been very concerned about the lack of transparency in dog food. Companies can get their ingredients from countries that do not have any quality control and they can also change what they put into the dog food. When you have a sick dog and you spend thousands of dollars on treatment and then give dog food that may have preservatives like formaldehyde or other chemicals -- it just doesn't make sense to me.