Sporty

Guest greyscot

Guest greyscot

I took Sporty to the vet today for his booster vaccination and because he will be 8 in February I asked the vet to run a blood panel which he agreed was a sensible thing to do. I really was expecting a clean bill of health - Sporty is acting perfectly normal and in Niall's (the vet) words 'looks great'.

Anyway I just had Niall 'phone to tell me that Sporty's creatine levels are elevated. It is just above normal and the vet wants to test again in 2 weeks time. Niall could not believe the results - nor could I. He said it could just be an anomolous reading and the next one could be perfectly normal but I am sick to my stomach. In the past 4 years I have lost one cat and one dog to kidney disease, had another cat killed on the road and had a greyhound die of a spinal tumour. I cannot, cannot, cannot be losing another one.

Has anyone had an abnormal reading of creatine levels like this only to be told they are normal on re-testing? Would appreciate any input and good thoughts for my boy.

Is Sporty a greyhound? Greyhounds often run slightly elevated creatinine -- if all else is normal, it's one big nothing. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What is the reading? What is his BUN? Many greys run higher in creatine with a normal BUN and we don't pay any attention to it.

edited to add: I'm not sure if your readings are the same as ours in numbers so that we'd understand. If you give us the readings, please also give us the normal reference range.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest greyscot
What is the reading? What is his BUN? Many greys run higher in creatine with a normal BUN and we don't pay any attention to it.

edited to add: I'm not sure if your readings are the same as ours in numbers so that we'd understand. If you give us the readings, please also give us the normal reference range.

I did not ask his reading as I was in shock but I know the vet said his urea readings were normal, he did not mention BUN levels. Sporty is a greyhound and this vet is grey savvy (the practice has actually just been awarded small animal and equine hospital status) so I'm confident with them. I'm a bit reassured to know that greys can have slightly high creatine levels - thank- you.

You may want to go to www.greythealth.com and print out the greyhound bloodwork article. I've worked with many vets over the last 12 years and, although they were small animal savvy and good vets, some of them just didn't realize the differences in the blood values for greyhounds. An increase in creatinine for a greyhound is most likely completely normal for most greyhounds. I've never had a greyhound (except for Mouse recently with her strange illness) who had a normal (for other dogs) creatinine level. I've done bloodwork on probably 20-30 greyhounds (so not a lot but a decent amount) ranging in age from 4 months old to 14 years old.

Repeat the labwork in 2 weeks but in the meantime don't stress yourself out.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I honestly wouldn't worry too much just yet, especially as your vet said the creatinine was only just above normal. The same thing happened to me with my 4 year old greyhound with a routine blood test ie the vet said he had slightly elevated creatinine. Fortunately, from reading GT, I knew that greyhounds often have a higher creatinine than other breeds and wasn't overly concerned. After discussing this with the vet, he agreed that as the BUN and urinalysis were normal, it was unlikely there was a problem. Some time later, I had his litter sister tested too and her's was exactly the same, so the vet agreed it's just normal for them. I understand that stress (ie vet visit!) can also cause the creatinine to be a little raised too.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

All I could think of when I started reading your post was Shirley, and all that you both went through.

You've already heard from those who know, can't judge anything by just the creat level alone.

Sporty, your fan club here are holding you in our prayers. This will be fine, it has to!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I would not worry about this until a future test would really indicate several kidney levels being off. Greys do have higher-than-average creatine levels, and that reading alone also should not cause panic.

Really, not worth worrying about at all (and this is coming from a true worrier)

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest BoogieDown

I know this is easier said than done, but if your vet says don't worry yet, then don't worry yet. Try your hardest not to focus on it for the next two weeks, and then see what happens. Hugs to all of you.

Chiming in with another don't panic chorus. FWIW, greyhounds aren't known for having a lot of kidney problems like some other breeds. It can happen, but it's not all that common. Test again in a few weeks & ask your vet for the numbers.

I have to tell you I was so scared to open this thread - terrified it was something else. I hope you feel better after reading these replies, 'cause I sure do.

Sporty :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greydogluvr

Here is a quote from the Greyhound Health website re: Creatinine

Creatinine

Ӣ Greyhound: .8-1.6

Ӣ Other dogs: .0-1.0

Greyhound creatinines run higher than other breeds as a function of their large lean muscle mass. A study at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine found that 80% of retired greyhounds they sampled had creatinine values above the standard reference range for "other dogs." As a lone finding, an "elevated creatinine" is not indicative of impending kidney failure. If the BUN and urinalysis are normal, so is the "elevated" creatinine.

Has anyone had an abnormal reading of creatine levels like this only to be told they are normal on re-testing? Would appreciate any input and good thoughts for my boy.

Yes, at least twice, and I'd say my vets were grey-savvy too. However, there's grey-savvy and grey-savvy, and perhaps they just don't run up against enough to be thoroughly au-fait with all of their peculiarities.

Both times, I asked for a protein:creatinine ratio test to be done before I would even think about putting them on a kidney diet. The test had to be sent away but was relatively cheap to do, and both times it came back perfectly normal.

I was told that in addition to the normal 'elevated' greyhound values, feeding a dog a high protein diet, especially raw protein, can push the creatinine up, but the protein:creatinine ratio test will always give you a true picture. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

All good advice and info, www.greythealth.com is the best.

Our first greyhound tested a bit higher than normal for creatinine. I then found out this is the norm for greyhounds so our vets are now up to speed. We've also been thru the platelet levels, low thyroid...it's good to know the specifics of your breed and make sure you vet knows too!

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Guest greyscot

Thanks everyone - I have calmed down a bit after reading your posts. I'll mention the higher creatine levels for greyhounds to the vet when I take Sporty in for a re-test. This vet practice is used by greyhound breeders/trainers (I'm told they come from miles away to use this practice) so I am pretty sure they know about greyhound blood values - that is what is worrying me.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens in two weeks time.

Good luck. Mine mentions the usual anomalies to me as a matter of course when he gives me the results, as in 'his red count is a bit high, but nothing to worry about' kind of thing. He just thinks aloud while reading it out, I think. Hopefully, this is all it is with Sporty. :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop