Beau- The Diagnosis Is Here And It Is Ibd

RobinM

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm glad he ate something.

Can you put the crockpot in the garage? I put mine in the extra bathroom with the door closed and the window open when I'm cooking for the pups. The smell can be overpowering.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SoulsMom
I'm glad he ate something.

Can you put the crockpot in the garage? I put mine in the extra bathroom with the door closed and the window open when I'm cooking for the pups. The smell can be overpowering.

And that way it's easier just to grab the food out of the tub :)

Oh Thank GOD! You know what you are dealing with...now...that pred is going to kick in Beau Beau is going to start eating like a piggy...along with drinking a peeing of course...but that will taper off after awhile....I HAVE spoken! Kiss him for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

A little fresh lemon juice on your fingers will cut the smell. It won't help the house, but at least it won't be on you, yourself. We are still thinking of you.

So relieved that you have a workable diagnosis! I think Beau may know something about the kibble and is trying to tell you - it may be a NO-GO until his tummy settles down. I agree with an earlier post that soft, moist food may be the way to go until the pred really takes hold and calms things down. Canned, poached, slow cooked, whatever it takes to establish the one protein source and then someday reintroduce kibble one kernel at a time. May take weeks or months. I have a cat that had all the symptoms but no confirming test results of IBD/pancreatitis. He ate Wellness canned turkey for a year and we managed to get his vomitting down to once a day unless he ate dry food which would result in an automatic regurgitation. Fortunately the bloody diarrhea cleared up almost immediately, but it took another couple of years for his stool to take any sort of form. We didn't get to the turkey right away - we spent an obscene amount of cash trying all sorts of food in an orderly and patient manner before hitting on the turkey.

Let Beau tell you what is going to work. If you let him, he will tell you. Sending calming thoughts to you, Robin and healing thoughts to Beau.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

When I do fish, I poach it on top the stove, lid on the pot and the exhaust fan on. No lingering smells that way.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So relieved that you have a workable diagnosis! I think Beau may know something about the kibble and is trying to tell you - it may be a NO-GO until his tummy settles down. I agree with an earlier post that soft, moist food may be the way to go until the pred really takes hold and calms things down. Canned, poached, slow cooked, whatever it takes to establish the one protein source and then someday reintroduce kibble one kernel at a time. May take weeks or months. I have a cat that had all the symptoms but no confirming test results of IBD/pancreatitis. He ate Wellness canned turkey for a year and we managed to get his vomitting down to once a day unless he ate dry food which would result in an automatic regurgitation. Fortunately the bloody diarrhea cleared up almost immediately, but it took another couple of years for his stool to take any sort of form. We didn't get to the turkey right away - we spent an obscene amount of cash trying all sorts of food in an orderly and patient manner before hitting on the turkey.

Let Beau tell you what is going to work. If you let him, he will tell you. Sending calming thoughts to you, Robin and healing thoughts to Beau.

Good point about the kibble. We offered him the wet of the same and he turned his nose up at it. He did eat a little bit more of the fish a few minutes ago. High in protein, low in calories, but it's a start. We will try again later. We have to stay up to at least 11:30 to get his 2nd pred in him. We gave his 1st one at 1:30 so I need to space them. Tomorrow we will go a little earlier, earlier still on Sunday and Monday when we leave for work, he should be on a good schedule.

I can not believe that of my hounds, Beau, the most senstive one, the pickiest eater, the one who has been through the most trauma, has been diagnosed with this horrible, very difficult to manage disease.

I know, it could be worse. a lot worse.

When I do fish, I poach it on top the stove, lid on the pot and the exhaust fan on. No lingering smells that way.

When I poached it, I wrapped it in foil and put it on a cookie sheet in the oven. How do you cook it on top?

Also, because I don't use the stove a lot, I completely forgot to turn on the fan. Duh.

I think the smell is coming from the slow cooker. DH made him a fish broth, gravy for his kibble.

Went out and bought 8 pounds of talapia. All for Beau Beau!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sweetgsmom

Hi. I have a IBD boy he has had it for 5 years, once you get him on a stable food you can not change anything!

The first time Camby had an episode he dropped fifteen pounds really quick, every once in a while it will kick up and we have to start him on chicken breast and pasta or rice, it takes months to get him back on his kibble and regular food, just a tiny bit at a time.

Hope everything goes great for you and Beau.

How do you cook it on top?

Put 1/2" of water in bottom of pan. Put fish in pan. Put lid on pan. Turn fan on, because you'll have to check the fish now and then and when cooling. Turn on medium heat so it just simmers. When fish is done (opaque), let cool. Cooling is hard to do with the lid on, so you'll have to take it off. Set the pan right under the fan so it whisks fishy odors straight outside. :)

In this weather, you could also take the pan outside and set it in a snowbank or in your garage for a few.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi. I have a IBD boy he has had it for 5 years, once you get him on a stable food you can not change anything!

The first time Camby had an episode he dropped fifteen pounds really quick, every once in a while it will kick up and we have to start him on chicken breast and pasta or rice, it takes months to get him back on his kibble and regular food, just a tiny bit at a time.

Hope everything goes great for you and Beau.

the food he is on is his sacrificial food. We've learned that it's common for the food they transition on to wind up being a food that although they start out tolerating, they begin to have an intolerance. The big trick is to change the food before they have a set back. Timing as they say, is everything.

We are just getting started so I would imagine we will be on this food for a while.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

I had a feeling it might be IBD that Beau had. At least you know now. You might find this website helpful.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest IrskasMom

Robin .... you don't know how I was hoping for this Update. At least you have a Treatment Plan you can go by.

Would like to hear , how Polli is doing with all that and Beau ? Loads of Hugs to all of you :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Would like to add, you can count on Batmom , Burpdog and all the others for helpful Advice at any Time and

Situation. My Gratitude to them.

Edited by IrskasMom

How is Beau doing this AM? Still sending healing, calming and soothing thoughts. One day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time, one breath at a time. Beau wants to feel better just as much as you want him to. He can feel your emotions and will use them to heal. Feed him your most "I-am-mommy-and-we-will-lick-this-thing-together." calming vibes.

:grouphug:grouphug for you, Robin.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Morning update- none.

He ate equililent to almost a whole talapia fish last night over the course of the evening. No canned. No kibble. I tried making him cookies made from the kibble and canned. Not interested.

I gave the gavones AKA Teddy and Chloe a small taste of 1) kibble 2) wet and 3) cookie and they gobbbled it up. So, it's not a horrible tasting kibbble and wet food.

He won't take anything this morning. It's the skelton look that gets me when he won't eat.

He is on day 2 of pred. G-D willing, it will kick in and he will start to feel better.

Guest greythopes

I'm so glad you have a diagnosis, and at least he is eating the fish. Me, I'd feed him whatever he will eat (like the fish), and not worry about the rest for now. But there are others here with more experience. Praying the pred will reduce the inflammation and stimulate his appetite soon.

I hope Beau makes a good comeback from this. He's a real beauty and what with you have gone through with Polli, you need a break!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pred can either increase or decrease appetite, depending on the dosage and individual reaction. It can be pretty nasty on the stomach as well. Is he taking anything like prevacid/pepcid, etc.? Those are often prescribed to ease pred's effects on the stomach and help prevent it from causing ulcers.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Pred can either increase or decrease appetite, depending on the dosage and individual reaction. It can be pretty nasty on the stomach as well. Is he taking anything like prevacid/pepcid, etc.? Those are often prescribed to ease pred's effects on the stomach and help prevent it from causing ulcers.

Please, please. please don't tell me he can lose his appetite from this. I will go and shoot myself today, for sure. His dosage is 20mg BID.

Yes, he is getting prilosec as soon as we open our eyes in the morning.