Need Advice

Guest dmona

Has anyone had any experience with chemo for mast cell tumors as to how they respond and any other information? My Kelsey had her 2nd one removed and even though the margins appear clean and no evidence of rapidly dividing cells, they are recommending chemo. She is 11 years old and has been through a lot...lost an eye to glaucoma, had injuries that were not treated properly and affects her walk, had her tail amputated due to mast cell tumor and now this. I just hate to put her through this, especially since there are no guarantees.

Opinions please.

Thanks in advance.

Dianne

I think it may depend on the dog and the particular chemo drug they use. My Ivy received 4 chemo treatments and they did not negatively affect her at all. Not once did she even throw up. They told me that dog chemo was not like people chemo. She was 10 at the time. I did give her 6 Fresh Factors a day and believe they really helped her. Sadly for her amputation and chemo were to no avail and she crossed over less than a year after the original diagnosis when it spread suddenly and quickly through her body. :weep

Guest gr8greys

My mother had a German Shepherd which they decided to do the Chemo treatments for when he was diagnosed. He was given chemo every month for 6 months and although he didn't seem to suffer too badly from the treatments itself, he did end up passing away not too long thereafter. His quality of life towards the end wasn't that great - he was incontinent and acted depressed and that's when my mother decided she didn't want him to suffer any longer. If you ask my mother, she'd say she would never put another dog through that again.

If there were guarantees then it'd be a different story but I see what you're going through: why put a dog through that when they've been through so much already only to put them through more with no guarantees. Does it make their quality of life any better or are we doing it simply because we can't let go?

What does the Dr. say about her chances?

My heartfelt sympathies goes out to you in this difficult decision-making. As long as she continues to be happy then you know you're doing the right thing.

Please keep us posted...

Irene

There are no guarantees with ANYTHING.

If the dog is in good health (other than the current issue) and if the dog can tolerate going to the vets regularly without being overly stressed etc than I'd look upon it as giving the best chance, rather than making the dog endure something dreadful.

The vast majority of dogs have no side effects or at most, very mild side effects from chemo and they are usually easily managed with some temporary medication.

Best of luck, whatever you decide :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest greytmonty

OSU and your onco vet can help you decide about chemo.

For us, the decision was based on Monty's youth, overall good health in spite of chronic mishegos (that is a yiddish clinical term for ongoing medical care of the expensive non severe kind), and type and presentation of cancer.

He has tolerated his first four chemo treatments well, and we will hang in there for all 26 weeks of chemo if he can continue to do so.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your comments. The tumor is Grade II and I remember a comment about there being a high end and low end but he didn't say what her's is.

I have read several websites about mast cell tumors and at least two that I read said that MCTs don't respond to chemo. I don't understand this as I'm sure my vet would not recommend it if he didn't feel like it would be necessary.

Kelsey does get really stressed at going to the vet....she is easily stressed as she stresses when it rains...doesn't have to thunder, just rain.

Right now we are leaning towards not doing the chemo, but she can't have it until her sutures are out anyway and that is another 10 days so we have some more time to decide.

Thanks again to all of you..y'all are the best!!

Dianne

<<<Kelsey does get really stressed at going to the vet....she is easily stressed as she stresses when it rains...doesn't have to thunder, just rain.

Right now we are leaning towards not doing the chemo, but she can't have it until her sutures are out anyway and that is another 10 days so we have some more time to decide.>>>

Everyone, this is gorgeous Kelsey....

Kelsey.jpg

Kelsey2_070408.jpg

Dianne, I just emailed you with probably TOO MUCH info... :eek

Give Kelsey a big hug for me...

Joyce

I'm dealing with cancer myself, so I've done a lot of homework. In fact I was just reading new information yesterday.

The reason for chemo is that there is belief that margins may show 'clear', but that doesn't mean that cancer cells have not spread from the original tumor or site.

It really has to do with the staging of the disease.

There are cells so small that even the best equipment cannot detect in earliest stages. In later stages there may be a remission, but in most cases not a lifetime 'cure'. It's a matter of when it can come back, so they try to 'kill off' the original disease and then keep it at bay with treatments.

Good luck with your pup! :grouphug

Don't know squat about mast cell tumors, chemo for them, etc.

One thing to consider, tho, is that you can start chemo ... and then stop whenever you want to. If pup has side effects from first treatment that you don't consider tolerable (including being too nervous about the whole thing), there's no reason you have to finish the course.

Hugs and hopes for many happy years with your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't know about mast cell tumors specifically..... but, my grey started chemo when he was almost 12 years old and did not have any terrible reactions to it. I think the extent of it was loss of appetite and runny poo. He may have had some nausea but he never threw up, so I don't know for sure. We used one Cernia pill after a few of the treatments to help with appetite and Pepcid for the tummy..... I remember being amazed with how well Dempsey handled the chemo... Best wishes to you.