Lucius Is Still Limping...

Lucius is limping...favoring a front leg. He acts as if his pads are tender, but they are fine, but he does not put his foot down flat...he holds it up. The pain seems to be in his hock. It started earlier after him and the foster jumped around and such. He is swollen.

Could he have pulled, twisted, etc something? Should we take him to the vet today or wait until tomorrow to see if it eases up???

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

Three days is my rule. If I don't see improvement in that time then I'll have them checked out by the vet.

It's very possible he twisted or pulled something. Is there any swelling?

Three days is my rule. If I don't see improvement in that time then I'll have them checked out by the vet.

It's very possible he twisted or pulled something. Is there any swelling?

None that I can tell. He does not react when I touch, feel, and put pressure on anything...and he reacts when he hurts.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'd restrict activity to no running and just leash walks in the back yard. I'd also take a wait and see. If there is no improvement then take him into the vets.

I'd restrict activity to no running and just leash walks in the back yard. I'd also take a wait and see. If there is no improvement then take him into the vets.

Ok. Thanks. :) Poor boy...on his birthday too!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ice/cold is better if there is irritation and swelling. The heat can cause the inflammation (if there is any) to get worse.

That is what I've always been told. The heat feels better, but doesn't help as much unless it's right after the injury.

Ice is great for swelling but usually only if you get it right away. You can also(if he'll let you) soak with Epsom Salt which is great for swelling no matter when you catch it

Edited to add: IF you end up taking him to the vet, be sure to tell him you're using asprin

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Ok, thanks guys! I called the vet who said to use asprin and see if he gets better...but not let him exercise on it!

ETA - he's not swollen...just limping.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Sending many prayers and hugs too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Birthday Boy can't be hurt today, it is his Special Day!!!!! Please feel better. :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Happy Birthday, Lucius! Sorry you hurt your ankle! Sending prayers.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

YIKESSS!!! Nova and I send our thoughts and prayers to the poor Birthday Boy. Sure hope it is nothing serious. Nova asks that you smother him in smooches (and asked if you'd lick his face and ears for her but I told her that was out of the question) :kiss2 :kiss2

Please keep us posted, we'll be thinking about him

Deb & Nova

Guest Pandorazzzbox

aww I hope he feels better. Sometimes when Otis runs a lot his right hind paw swells and he favors it(thankfully now that I think about it, it hasnt happened in a loooooooooong time!) Give him a belly rub for us~! :b-day poor boy... Good luck!

How is Lucius today?? Hope he's not limping anymore. Please update when you can!

:bighug:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Hey everybody! Thanks for the concern! Unfortunately he is still limping. His swelling has gone down some but not all. The vet says to keep icing him every 2 hours for 20 mins and give him asprin with food every 6 hours. If he has not improved by tomorrow morning she wants to see him and we will do xrays. Luckily my good boy knows what I want him to do and instead of playing like normal he has been resting. He just got done watching A Knights Tale (yes...he watched the screen.)