Vomiting Frequently (& Lip Licking)

Guest hattiepumpkin

Guest hattiepumpkin

Hi,

I just joined Greytalk. My greyhound is a happy, seemingly healthy 4 1/2 year old girl. When we first got her, she was puking bile several times a week, so we began feeding her a quarter cup of food before bed, and it seemed to do the trick. Over the last month, she has started puking again. Over the past several months, we had cut the quarter cup down to an eighth of a cup, but she was still getting something late at night. After a few weeks of sporadic puking in the mornings (one time one week, two or three times another week), I switched her back to the quarter cup at night. Everything seemed fine over the last few days, but this afternoon, on her afternoon walk, she puked up bile. She has never vomitted bile in the afternoon, so I'm concerned. She had a full blood panel back in November, and everything was normal. She seems fine otherwise. She is not an overly active dog (to put it mildly). She doesn't do zoomies in the house, and she is always mellow. She is eating normally, and she still loves her Breath Busters. She's been on Blue Buffalo for about 6 or 7 months, and she is fine with it. The only weird thing is that she seems to be licking her lips CONSTANTLY at night, but I was attributing that to the dry, winter air.

My biggest fear is stomach cancer. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex and Hattie

Time for a vet check. I know you had one in November but things change, or not.

I am battling something like IBS or IBD with Beau and it's not conclusive but he is very symtomatic. ALL his labs and fecals have been normal.

How is your girl's poop?

Welcome. btw- what is your girls name?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BasilMom

Ask your vet about giving Pepcid. The lip licking is a symptom of nausea. By the way my Basil has a upset tummy quite often due to Colitis and Breath Busters are a big favorite of his. They seem to settle his stomach. I would feed her on a schedule so that her belly doesn't feel empty to her. The bread is also something I do. Snack at night as well.Good Luck.

Edited by BasilMom

If feeding at bed-time is working, I can't see any reason to stop doing that or reduce it.

Did your vet do a thyroid check--Patrick throws up when his thyroid meds get off, so maybe it could be a thyroid thing?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest hattiepumpkin

Hi,

My little girl's name is Hattie. Depending on how she's doing, it's Hattie Pumpkin, Hattie Princess, Hattie the Pukey Princess, Stink-Butt Princess--you get the idea. What kind of bread can I give her? White, wheat, 12 grain, Oat Nut? She's on a pretty regular feeding schedule--she gets her weekend breakfasts a little later, but we feed her the quarter cup late at night on weekend nights. Dinner is always between 6 and 6:30. She's on thyroid medicine for a sluggish thyroid--she's been on it a year, and when she went on it, it was .2, which I was told is very low. The thyroid was tested in November, and it (along with everything else) is normal. She is going to the vet on Monday for a possible teeth cleaning and definite introductory visit with a new vet. I am actually in the process of switching vets--I see a wonderful vet, but he's in Roselle Park, and it's just a bit too far--especially if there's an emergency. Dr. Schaffer's office in Scotch Plains (I'm in NJ) is RIGHT behind my house, and he is listed as grey-friendly on this site. Someone asked about her poop--it's been far more solid since we switched her from Nutro to Blue Buffalo, but she is GASSY. I'm thinking about trying the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul food--it's supposed to be good.

If she only barfed in the afternoon once, I would probably not be too concerned. If she starts barfing at the same time every day, or several times a day, then I would. Definitely bring it up with your new vet and see what he says. We've also never had a problem with the Breath Buster treats, so I don't think they would be the source. If your work schedule permits, you might consider breaking up her meals into 4 smaller ones. Divide her normal amount of daily kibble into 4 and feed her throughout the day. You don't want to feed her too much if she's not too active or you'll have a chubby puppy on your hands!

If she's doing good on the Blue Buffalo I wouldn't try switching her. Give her a probiotic (do a search in the Food section for good brands) or just add a tablespoon of yogurt to her food (if she can do dairy). Both will take a few days to see any effect, but it should help the gassiness problem. If her poop is less solid than you would like, add a tablespoon of some canned pumpkin (the squash not the pie filling) to each meal.

By the way, WHERE'S HER PICTURE????? There's rules you know! :welcome2:rules

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When my dog did it -- daily bile vomit, tho no lip licking -- it was the food. For him, anything Nutro produced the reaction, and anything non-Nutro I tried was fine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest hattiepumpkin

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you posted. I can't figure out how to post her picture! She's a petite, black girl with a white muzzle, and the sweetest eyes ever. :)

:welcome2 from NJ too!

How is her weight? Could you feed her a little more so that her tummy is not so empty?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis