Bootsy Has Hookworms!

OK, I think hookworms are the ones that are really hard to get rid of because they can lie dormant in the ground and be reingested by the dog. Is that right?

What do I need to do (besides medicine) to keep them away?

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest EnzaFerrari

Oh man - Enza has/had them. Panacur is your new best friend. When diagnosed, she was treated twice by the vet and then once by me to just "make" sure. She was also given Flagyl for 10 days to calm her belly down as well.

Since then, and it's only been two months, she's been great but I keep panacur in my closet just in case and plan on giving it to her every few months as it doesn't affect her tummy at all.

I've also stopped taking her to the local dog park as I swear she always picks up something when we go there.

Flower had them when I got her. We treated with Nemex (didn't work) and then had to treat with Panacur, which worked.

Other than meds you just need to pick up her poo.

When Flower had them her poo was like pudding.....very hard to pick up. So, I was hosing what I couldn't pick up into the ground. My vet said that's where the eggs want to be, so, that's a no-no. Just pick up what you can. If Bootsy steps in any poo and licks her feet, she can ingest the eggs/larvae (whatever they are!?) and keep the cycle going.

I've read on here that a bleach solution can be used on spots where she goes, but, it will kill your grass (if you worried about your grass).

I don't care about my grass at all. We have rats and stray cats in our yard all the time, so I am worried that they could pick it up, poop in our yard and give it back to him. I left my vet a message asking about putting him on revolution or something similar. Poor guy.

IIRC, bleach doesn't kill hook eggs. What kills them is sunlight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeah, I didn't try the bleach....I just pick up the poo and let the sun bake what I can't get up (luckily poo is firming up some now).....but, thought I'd mention it as I'd read about some folks here using it.

Glad I didn't kill my grass for nothing.

Guest TBSFlame
Flower had them when I got her. We treated with Nemex (didn't work) and then had to treat with Panacur, which worked.

Other than meds you just need to pick up her poo.

When Flower had them her poo was like pudding.....very hard to pick up. So, I was hosing what I couldn't pick up into the ground. My vet said that's where the eggs want to be, so, that's a no-no. Just pick up what you can. If Bootsy steps in any poo and licks her feet, she can ingest the eggs/larvae (whatever they are!?) and keep the cycle going.

I've read on here that a bleach solution can be used on spots where she goes, but, it will kill your grass (if you worried about your grass).

My hounds have a mulch potty area but I use a bleach sprayer to disinfect the area. It doesn't take much, just a tiny amount of bleach and it really doesn't kill the grass unless you use a lot.

Yeah, I didn't try the bleach....I just pick up the poo and let the sun bake what I can't get up (luckily poo is firming up some now).....but, thought I'd mention it as I'd read about some folks here using it.

Glad I didn't kill my grass for nothing.

Glad to know that. We have not seen much sunlight lately.

OK, just talked to the vet. She's putting Bootsy on panacur to kill them and revolution to help prevent them from coming back. She said to clean up the yard and have my sister's dog tested. She didn't think the bleach was necessary.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Another Gter's pups had hookworm, at least two of her four, so she treated them all with panacur and used the diluted bleach on the poop spots.

They did not get reinfested and it's been three or four months at this point. Bleach may not be necessary but it certainly would ease MY mind. :blush I can't handle the worms. Of course I have a rock yard, and not a lawn, so it's not a big thing for me.

Hope he feels better soon!

Oh, and just wanted to say I bet his poop issues clear up when the worms are gone, so that's good news.

Guest greyvettech

I agree with panacur-once daily for three days in a row and repeat in two weeks is usually the recommended dose- You can always recheck a fecal three weeks post, to be sure- Sentinel or Interceptor monthly do well for preventing hooks,whips,rounds,-Panacur does come in tablet form too- Some people choose to give this monthly as well.

Are they hookworms, with the ferocious mouth parts, or whipworms? Both are hard to get rid of. IIRC whipworms require a thermonuclear blast to get them out of the environment, but Interceptor kills them/prevents them in your dog. Heartgard Plus does not. If it's whips, you might want to switch your heartworm meds to control them.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Hookworm eggs hatch in the soil and the larvae live there. Dogs get hookworm because the larvae penetrates the skin of the foot (or more rarely, the esophagus when they eat dirt). The larvae are killed by hot temps and drying (the soil needs to be a little moist for the larvae to survive).

I would do another 1 or 2 follow-up dewormings. The worming meds only kill adult worms, not the larvae 'hiding' in the dog.

Interceptor is supposed to kill the larvae though.

We had them this summer, All 4 dogs. 2 rounds of drontal and we were all done. Keep him away from puppies!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

He started on panacur last night and already his poop is better. He'll do a 3-day treatment now, and then another in a couple of weeks. And then another if necessary.

He's also now on revolution to prevent a recurrence. Poor Bootsy-Roo. And his birthday was last week too!

One of my cats had them when I got her and so I had to treat BOTH cats with drontal - it's REALLY REALLY expensive at the vets but apparently you can get it online for much cheaper!

Good luck, Christie! Hope the beasties are gone for good!

And Happy Birthday, Mr. Bootsy!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge