Willie Amputation Picture

Guest greydogluvr

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie is a handsome boy, reminds me of our Clark. Clark had he right rear leg amputated due to osteo March of last year.

Please do write down any questions for your vet, seemed like I always forgot something and had to call back. It will take a little while till he really starts to feel

comfortable on his own, but not long. We would walk beside Clark for moral support and one day I was glad we did. He must have forgot he only had one

rear leg and tried to lift that against a bush !!! we were there to support him and he finally understood "can't do that anymore", but its been almost a year and

he is doing "greyt". He gets a chest x-ray every 3 months and a CBC panel every 6. So far all is good and he goes this month for the chest x-ray so keeping

fingers crossed.

I know your boy will do fine, and just wait till you see him run. Clark runs much better than walking, although its not a problem. Good Luck to Willie and God bless.

Linda

Guest greydogluvr
Willie is a handsome boy, reminds me of our Clark. Clark had he right rear leg amputated due to osteo March of last year.

Please do write down any questions for your vet, seemed like I always forgot something and had to call back. It will take a little while till he really starts to feel

comfortable on his own, but not long. We would walk beside Clark for moral support and one day I was glad we did. He must have forgot he only had one

rear leg and tried to lift that against a bush !!! we were there to support him and he finally understood "can't do that anymore", but its been almost a year and

he is doing "greyt". He gets a chest x-ray every 3 months and a CBC panel every 6. So far all is good and he goes this month for the chest x-ray so keeping

fingers crossed.

I know your boy will do fine, and just wait till you see him run. Clark runs much better than walking, although its not a problem. Good Luck to Willie and God bless.

Linda

I would love to see a picture of your Clark. I guess old habits are hard to break. Poor boy. I bet it did not take him too long to learn. Congratulation on an almost year anniversary. Did you do chemo with Clark?

How did he do last night? Quiet, I hope!

He had a great night. He did begin to get whiney at about 6:00 AM so I gave him his morning meds and he went outside, got a drink and a little snack and went back to sleep. He is sleeping right now. I am a bit worried because he is laying on the incision. I guess it must not hurt too much or he would readjust. Thanks for checking in. Let's hope for a good day. It is a bit rainy here so he won't be out much. I have to remember to get som pictures of his darling gait. It is more like a run than walk. I am so glad he is home!!!!

BTW my Simone (broodie) has not left his side for more that a few minutes. When he moves so does she. She usually sleeps in the bathroom on the stone floor, but now she goes wherever he is. What a special girl.

Edited by greydogluvr

So glad that Willie is home, doing so well and has the lovely Simone to watch over him when you're not glued to his side! :rolleyes: What a handsome guy he is! I hope Willie ends up being one of those dudes who sleeps off his troubles/illnesses/surgeries. Wouldn't that be great??? Prayers for Willie and hugs for Mom!

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Here is Willie hanging out in the yard. Excuse the mess.

Willie day 4 days post amp

He's doing absolutely brilliantly!! :confetti

Honestly, on day 4, Darcy was still refusing to move and weeing in her bed. Really.

Willie is being a hero :yay And look how well he negotiated the hose pipe! Fabulous :confetti

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

He looks great Lora, he really does. And bless Simone, she's watching over her friend. You said he was a strong boy and you weren't joking.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

He looks super and I am glad he has teh compression sweater, you will prpb see no bruising with that.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Glad to hear Willie is doing so good. Mango was still in the hospital at this point so I didn't get to go through this part, except for the worrying and the 'what the he77' did I do part. Here's hoping that Willie's recovery continues to sail right along!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest paulamariez

Yay Willie! What a good boy! You're doing a wonderful job! Keep up the good work. Willie looks great. He is a beautiful brindle boy. I will say lots of prayers for a complete and quick healing for gorgeous Willie. I am so glad that he is home with you and sleeping peacefully. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Willie lots of doggie kisses!

Guest greydogluvr

I have been up with Willie for the past 2 hours. He sees to have some extra gas in his tummy. He lets out a yelp and then I hear the gas passing. I thought it was his leg at first but when I was rubbing him in attempts to calm him down, I got to his abdominal area and he relaxed a bit. Then I began to panic thinking he had bloat. I was just about to rush to the ER when he stopped and fell asleep. I can not stop crying. That was AWFUL!!!

My Angel, Misha, had osto as well. Post chemo and amputation, her cancer spread to her jaw and mouth which led to bloat. I was sure this was happening again (minus the spreading) Of course, I checked the signs of bloat and the only one he has was the agitation and restlessness. He did not attempt to go to the restroom, throw up or arch his back, but I always fear the worse. I knew things were going too well.

I just remembered that I got new bones, not the typical kind. I bet that is what did it. No more for him.

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhhh Willie .... I wish you the best for the New Year , even though it did'nt started out that well. We will follow your

gettingbetter Story until you are running again :grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2

THe first few nights are incredibly stressful for you and him. Every little thing out of the ordinary is just so magnified.

He will be fine, he is doing greyt. Hugs to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am sorry you had such a scare with Willie and glad that all is well. I know Clark at first seemed to have gas and rubbing his tummy and adding yogurt to his meals really helped. Better out than in and I don't care how much it "stinks".

Clark had 5 treatments of chemo, carboplatin, and never had any real problems. He was a little more quiet on the 2nd and 3rd day and his eating was a little slower on those days, by the 3rd day he was back to normal. His oncologist had 2 greyhounds of her own which was a big relief and of course he was babied each time and we all know how they love this.

I know your baby will be fine with the chemo as well, my thoughts are with you. Give your guy a hug and kiss for me.

Linda

Guest greydogluvr

I do not want to speak too soon but Willie has had a great day so far. I spent much of the day just sitting and napping with him. He ate his dinner and I gave him his 2nd round of meds. I am tring to spread them out. The Rimadyl and the Cephalexin (sp) have possible gastrointestinal side effects. It can't be good to give them at the same time. I do not want him to fell like he did last night ever again. Thanks for checking in on him. I contact the oncologist tomorrow to schedule chemo. I am a bit scared.

Sending hugs.

Wouldn't hurt to keep some Gas-X or Phazyme in your medicine cabinet -- he could have a child's dose if he gets gassy innards again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greydogluvr
Sending hugs.

Wouldn't hurt to keep some Gas-X or Phazyme in your medicine cabinet -- he could have a child's dose if he gets gassy innards again.

Last night I read about that in a panic. I did not even remember until you mentioned it. I am going to get some before bed.... just in case. Does it come in pill form. He just took his last Pepcid and is on antibiotics and Rimadyl. Is it okay to give with these?