Drippy Nose

MyCutie

Rocket has a runny nose. Not just when we are out in the cold, or when we come in. It's, like, dripping. Otherwise he seems to be fine--good appetite, good poos and pees, no breathing issues. We're going to the vet on Saturday for his initial checkup, but thought I'd check with all the experts here.

If all else is ok, it could be allergies.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Congratulations on your beeoootiful new hound! And I do mean new! Given how short a time he has been with you, it would not surprise me if the dripping were just nerves.

I learned about this from our vet and our first grey -- a big, strapping, almost-5-year-old who was mostly a confident dog. His nose would drip if he had to walk on linoleum, or when we went to the vet, meeting a stranger, etc. I asked the vet about this, thinking he was sick or something, and she said some greys show their nerves that way. Especially the ones that are otherwise big tough guys, I think! They try hard to appear stoical, but that tension has to manifest somehow. Subtle, huh?

Not to say that this is for sure what's going on with your pup, but it's a possibility I thought should be mentioned. BTW, ours still does it when he's stressed, but that happens pretty rarely anymore.

Hoping it passes soon,

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I agree with the above posters that it may not be anything at all. Of course, if you're concerned, it doesn't hurt to check in with the vet. I have two greys. Tori's nose never drips at all. Shadow's, on the other hand, is a veritable fountain at times :rolleyes: If he's excited or nervous it's especially bad, but sometimes it'll drip even when he's sleeping. We've had some nice puddles under his head come morning :lol

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest FrostyBottoms

My nervous ninny Frosty gets a drippy nose...but Vinny who isn't bothered by anything never has a drippy nose...I bet it's just nerves. Congrats and where on earth is Mahomet?

Good points. He's fit in so well, that I forget that he may still be nervous. We love watching him outside--everything is a new experience and he would stand and stare for hours if we let him. But all of those new things could well make him anxious too. The fencing people finished up an area for him this afternoon and hopefully that will make him less distracted (and quicker to his business). Mahomet is about 10 miles west of Champaign (IL)--pretty much right in the middle of the state.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have a drippy nose guy too, when he is stressed. When he gets stressed his nose runs and his eyes get bloodshot (tough to see the white part of his eyes, but when he looks side to side, you can see the blood vessles) also. Since he is new, it wouldnt suprise me a bit to see the stress manifesting itself this way, but since you are going to the initial vet checkup anyway, doesnt hurt to check.

CONGRATS!

Chad

Guest MAXNAV

Navigator's nose drips (evidence is on my window sills), and I used to have a collie that had a drippy nose as well. My vet said it's because they have long snouts/noses. Navigator is perfectly fine.

Guest myoozikluver

My Dom was (and is) quite the spook and his nose drips like a faucet one minute and is bone dry the next. He always gets drippy nose when he's nervous or scared, but that's not the only time. I'm sure it's okay. Enjoy your new addition! :)