Clicking While Walking

I did a search but couln't come up with anything.

Roscoe has a joint (or many) that click when he walks. It's an all-the-time thing and it's pretty loud. I don't usually hear it when the tv and stuff is on, but when the house is quiet and he walks.. *click. click. click. click. click. click. click. click.....* with every step. I've tried to pin point exactly which joint/s it's coming from but I can't.

It doesn't bother him at all. He is only 3..

Does anyone elses hounds to this? Is this a precursor for something more serious like arthritis?

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

This is probably an inane question, but I have to ask just to rule it out. Are you sure it's not his nails hitting the floor? :sofa

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Kingsley's hip does this now-and-then... it is such a loud cracking/popping... but it never lasts long, and I have not found a pattern to when it does this. I hope it is just "getting older" (he's 8) as he does not seem in any distress when it does happen.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Haven't known a dog with this, but I have a knee and an ankle that do this -- the knee is cartilage, the ankle is a tendon that snaps over the bone with every flex. :wacko:

Neither hurt, so my ortho says there's no need to do anything until they do.

If you rule out nails, I wouldn't stress about it but would ask your vet next time you're in.

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Guest FrostyBottoms
This is probably an inane question, but I have to ask just to rule it out. Are you sure it's not his nails hitting the floor? :sofa

That was my first thought too.

Are his nails clicking together by chance?

Nope.. not nails. We have all carpet. And it's not the same sound as when his nails click on pavement.

Then if it doesn't hurt him, I'd guess it's one of the usual three: A tendon snapping over a bone, cartilage rub, or air popping in/out of the joint.

I'm sitting her snapping my foot (forgot that one) by turning it in a circle -- it sounds like a super-loud snap/crack, as another tendon clicks over a metatarsal. I'm pretty noisy when I walk, so I feel for your hound! :P

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

That was my first thought too.

Are his nails clicking together by chance?

No. I don't think it is possible.. seeing as one's foot/paw sinks into the carpet a bit while walking. Nor do I think it could make such a loud sound.

It sounds just like mine when I pop my fingers, toes, etc.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest greyvettech

He is so young to have crepitis in his joints but it sounds like that is what it is- If so, I would start him on a glucosamine/chondroiton supplement such as dasuquin or synovi g3

If he's not already I would get him on a good joint supplement like Cosequin DS.

What I was going to say. Also maybe an x-ray at the next dental?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Yes, my six year old foster dog has this clicking too. It is most noticeable when he walks round the house which is fully carpeted. Definitely not his nails and less noticeable when walking outside which seems strange to me. Doesn't limp and doesn't seem bothered or in in pain anywhere though I can't identify just which joint it seems to be coming from. He is now on G&C which I think might have helped though we still hear the clicking fairly often.

Sue from England

Inu has been a clicker as long as I've know the boy and he came to me when he was three. I use a glucosamine supplement called Actiflex 4000. I can't say that the clicking is any less but it's something I do. If you find something that seems to help or even a possible diagnosis let me know.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)