Lucius Is A Little...off...

I am probably just an overprotective mommy but I want to be sure.

Lucius is just slightly off. Nothing noticeable even to DF but I'm detecting some strangeness. He has some soft poop. Now, we have battled that off and on for months but he had just gotten back to normal poop about a month ago. His nose has been a little less wet and cold. He's been a little more affectionate than normal (something I notice because I am home with him now). He's still playing, running, sleeping. But he's just been...off. I haven't seen worms or eggs in his poop. He takes iverhart max so theoretically he shouldn't have any (it covers heartworms and common and potentially zoonotic roundworms, hookworms, and now, tapeworms.) He's eating well. But he has lost a little weight- maybe 1-2 lbs- (of course, it could be from the harder playing and running...in the apt he was rarely off leash because we had to go somewhere with a yard. Now he runs and plays daily). I think he has been a little colder since he wants his jammies on (that boy does love collars and leashes but not normally coats...but loves his jammies... a housecoat! :lol) He chattered when I put it on earlier.

Am I being a paranoid overprotective mommy? Or could he be coming down with something?

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Oh poor Lucius, hope he feels better! I can't answer your question directly, but if the weather is getting colder, perhaps he needs a bit more food to maintain his weight? Playing aside, he'll be burning more calories just to stay warm. This is my first winter with Beth but I think I'm seeing that with her.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I too am overprotective, so maybe my answer would not be the best. But I would take him in for some blood work.

I have learned to trust my gut. Both times I felt that my kitties were a bit off, there were some not so promising reasons. I too was the only one who noticed the changes. Everybody else said I was being paranoid.

I hope he feels better :)

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

I agree with the above poster, go with your gut. You know him better than anyone. And please tell him from us that we said NO!!!!! He MUST feel better

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

I think a blood test would be a good place to start. Sometimes they can find certain values are up or down when they shouldn't be, and it can give them something to start with. Believe me, I am familiar with the look on the vets face when I walk in and say "Well, I don't know what it is, but it's something" :)

I'll call the vet. I don't have high hopes for getting in around Christmas but we'll def try. Just a normal blood test?

I would pester the tar out of my vet. I would show up on his doorstep. I would do anything to get my pup in.

If you suspect something is wrong, it probably is. Finding out if it is a big or small problem will allow you deal with it and your emotions.

After my first grey, Gabriel, had a few "depressed" days, I took him to the vet. The specific diagnosis was a long time coming -- actually it was only 3 days, but it felt like ages. He was dead in 7 weeks, and that was with the best care in the world.

I'm not saying Lucius has anything at all like this. I am just saying Duncan will be at the vet the moment I suspect something. And, it won't matter what the vet is doing or how busy he is, Duncan will be seen.

So get Lucius in there!

:hope for Lucius and a :kiss2 for him, too!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Prayers and kisses for your Lucius, and a hug for you

Edited because my early morning grammar needs help :)

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

Sending prayers and please update us as soon as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest LindsaySF

I would deworm him and see if it helps.

As for the food, he probably needs to eat more to maintain his weight, since he is more active in the new house.

Hopefully it is nothing!

Ok...news. The vet says she he has normal heart rate, pulse, etc. If it were not for his back legs being a little off and some of the other things she would think he was ok. Bloodwork is not in yet, but she gave him some antibiotics and pain killer. She's thinking he could have a tick borne illness. Not saying for sure yet but she wanted to treat him for any infection/tick born illness. We'll be talking to her Monday. If nothing significant comes up in the blood but the meds haven't helped him she will run diff tests and xrays. I shudder at the bills with our current financial pain but he's worth it all and more.

I went out to take my disabled friend to the grocery store and when I got back he zoomied and played...he hasn't done that in days. So, hopefully it's minor. Keeping fingers crossed and prayers active.

Feel better soon, handsome Lucius! :kiss2

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest HoustonGreys
Ok...news. The vet says she he has normal heart rate, pulse, etc. If it were not for his back legs being a little off and some of the other things she would think he was ok. Bloodwork is not in yet, but she gave him some antibiotics and pain killer. She's thinking he could have a tick borne illness. Not saying for sure yet but she wanted to treat him for any infection/tick born illness. We'll be talking to her Monday. If nothing significant comes up in the blood but the meds haven't helped him she will run diff tests and xrays. I shudder at the bills with our current financial pain but he's worth it all and more.

I went out to take my disabled friend to the grocery store and when I got back he zoomied and played...he hasn't done that in days. So, hopefully it's minor. Keeping fingers crossed and prayers active.

When they test for TBD the usual test is for Ehrlichia and Lymes --- please have them also test for Babesia. Prayers for Lucius and you!