New Research Concerning Greyhounds...

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

I went to the vet with the boys this week and the vet told me a new research was just published about greyhounds and their problems with certain medications and protocols.

Apparently it is genetic and if there is a greyhound mix, most probably, the dog will have the same problems as a greyhound. That would explain apparently, many unexplained problems with certain dogs that do have some greyhound in them, even if it is a far cousin...

My vet said it was published recently... You should tell them! :)

Hmmm. No solid hits in PubMed. But I did stumble across this gem:

Population structure and inbreeding from pedigree analysis of purebred dogs.

Calboli FC, Sampson J, Fretwell N, Balding DJ.

Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College, London W2 1PG, United Kingdom. f.calboli@imperial.ac.uk

It's from the UK, so who knows how well it translates to American greyhounds- but for this little gem (emphasis mine):

"We chose 10 representative breeds and analyzed their pedigrees since electronic records were established around 1970, corresponding to about eight generations before present. We find extremely inbred dogs in each breed except the greyhound and estimate an inbreeding effective population size between 40 and 80 for all but 2 breeds."

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Whippet

Well, greyhounds don't react too well to a product used for anesthesia and some other products as well, (I don't know their names though) and a research was published recently about why they have a problem. According to my vet, it would be a gene... Now, don't know what it is and all, but the research was published recently.

? - unclear

greyhounds do not react well to certain anesthesia because their normal body fat % is half the normal dogs at the same weight. while that is genetic, it only indirectly affects their reaction to certain anesthesia. greyhounds cannot be anesthesized like other breeds.

i would recommend downloading and reading dr. feeman's greyhound health packet. not a bad idea to print it and give a copy to your vet if he is not greyhound savvy (mine was a track vet for quite a while, so he's OK :) ) this document also lists other differences and warnings.

an extract from another site: Greyhounds and anesthesia - there are 3 pages on that section of the site that have a lot of info a greyhound parent should know, with links to other sites.

The physiology of a greyhound is unlike other breeds for several reasons. The liver of a greyhound metabolizes drugs much slower than other breeds; also, the low percentage of body fat proportionate to its size plays a part in these differences. On the average, greyhounds have 16 percent body weight of fat as compared with 35 percent in mixed-breed dogs of comparable size. The blood level of some drugs in a dog's system falls by going into the fat. The less fat the dog has, the longer it will take for the blood level to fall. The quicker the drug leaves the body, the quicker the patient will wake up from anesthesia. Greyhounds have a history of becoming excitable and confused when waking from anesthesia. This is one more reason why the drugs used to anesthetize a greyhound should be the correct ones. You want your grey to recover from anesthesia in a prompt, pain-free manner.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest jerrybird

I remember reading an article on a genetic problem that has cropped up in Silken Windhounds. If memory serves me correctly it has something to do with the use of antibiotics in sighthounds. Some dogs carry the gene that prohibits use of a certain drug. It's still early in the a.m. for me, and I can't find the article! I'll keep looking.

Edited by jerrybird

Guest Whippet

Why is it so complicated to understand?

There is a NEW discovery that was published recently and my vet told me about it. That's all.

I just repeated what he told me, thinking everyone would be interested and talk to their vet about it so they can look it up in whatever magazine or publication they get but apparently, everyone thinks I'm crazy.

I should have just shut my mouth.

Forget I said anything.

WHAT is the new discovery? We have to know what it is, so it can be looked up .....

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest Whippet
WHAT is the new discovery? We have to know what it is, so it can be looked up .....

Like I said in my first message, it would be a genetic problem, that a gene in particular doesn't react well and that's what causes the reaction with certain anesthesia protocols.

I'm not a vet, I just repeted what my vet said which was this: There is a new discovery that was published recently about greyhounds and their problems with anesthesia protocols and it would be due to a gene specific to greyhounds. But if there is a mix, there is a big chance that the gene is present in other breeds and that would explain many problems.

That's all he said...

I assume there are not 100000s of publications and if your vet is even just a bit interested, knowing one of his clients has greys, he probably knows more about this new research than me...

sigh...

I'd like to know what it is, too! :)

The trouble with going to your vet and saying 'There's a new discovery about medical protocols and greyhounds, have you heard about it?' is that "What new protocol?' is going to be their first question.

IMHO, unless you have a specific question about a particular bit of research, you run the risk of sounding as if you don't trust your vet, and also, of being slightly neurotic. :lol

I'd be interested in hearing more - perhaps with links to names, research papers (or at least where the research was done), or a summary, but so far it doesn't sound like anything new.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

From what Whippet describes her vet told her, it might just be that somebody's determined WHY greyhounds/sighthounds don't process certain drugs correctly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There is a new discovery that was published recently about greyhounds and their problems with anesthesia protocols and it would be due to a gene specific to greyhounds. But if there is a mix, there is a big chance that the gene is present in other breeds and that would explain many problems.

Crossposted with you.

That sounds like the thing with collies and their sensitivity to Ivermectin. I did read very recently (last week) on another forum that gene testing is now available for this - which is a huge step forward for lurcher owners, because it now means that they can find out if their dog has the gene for Ivermectin sensitivity. :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Whippet
From what Whippet describes her vet told her, it might just be that somebody's determined WHY greyhounds/sighthounds don't process certain drugs correctly.

That's exactly what I said, just in other words.

I guess I'll have to call my vet and ask where he read this...

That's exactly what I said, just in other words.

I guess I'll have to call my vet and ask where he read this...

Please don't be upset. We appreciate any info that can help our babies.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest ChasesMum

yup, knowing which publication he read an article in is very helpful in getting the news out to other vets. especially between countries as not all vets in Canada would subscribe to all American journals.

and as ahicks is seemingly well versed in the art of online research, if he couldnt find it then my assumption is that its not just a simple "Google" away....

Guest EmilyAnne
I went to the vet with the boys this week and the vet told me a new research was just published about greyhounds and their problems with certain medications and protocols.

Apparently it is genetic and if there is a greyhound mix, most probably, the dog will have the same problems as a greyhound. That would explain apparently, many unexplained problems with certain dogs that do have some greyhound in them, even if it is a far cousin...

My vet said it was published recently... You should tell them! :)

So to conclude, research has been done to make vets more aware that if there is any amount of greyhound in a mixed breed, then one needs to proceed with caution until they know how well they do with anesthesia and such, because they are now more aware due to research that it can have a greater impact on the kind of medical care the dog needs than they thought. Hopefully this will help more greyhound mixed breeds out there. My Henry is a greyhound mixed breed and we use a grey savvy vet. :)