Spencer Has Had Another Episode

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

You guys probably don't remember but back in Oct. Spencer had paralysis in his back legs which left him incontinent. With the help of Prednisone and accupuncture he has recovered up to a point. No more incontinence but you can see his hindquarters are still weak and shift over to the side when he walks. His mental attitude is great and he's a very happy boy! He longer jumps up on my bed which I don't want him to do anyway, but other than that life is pretty normal. Well last night he was in the kitchen when I noticed all of a sudden his back right leg knuckled under and he couldn't stand on it. I got him onto his bed and the leg was twitching a bunch and it was sticking straight out with the toes spread wide. It looked like he was having some sort of spasm. I layed on his bed with him and was petting him to try and calm him down. I could tell he didn't want me touching his leg or back end so I just petted along his side and talked to him. Eventually he kind of nodded off. A little while after that the leg seemed to be alright and the spasm passed. He's still wobbly but at least he can walk and he did let himself out the dog door early this morning. I live in constant fear for my Spencer. I watch him like a hawk and just wish he would get over this spinal thing but I know he won't. I think I'll take him in for an accupuncture appt. and call my other vet and ask him if I should put him on prednisone again. Sigh.....

Guest EmilyAnne

What a scary experience. :(

It does sound like a spasm. I don't have experience with this for dogs, but my husband is very prone to chronic spasms if he neglects his care. Calcium supplements and regular chiropractic is what helps my husband. You said this happened in the kitchen? If there is no rug, perhaps the smooth slippery floor triggered the spasm?

:grouphug

I know how you feel - we went thru a year of weak back legs with Hobbes. He was on a daily dose of Prednisone that helped to control the inflammation and stopped the knuckling. Once and a while he would have a setback and our vet would adjust his Prednisone dose (from 5 mg. to 10 mg. depending on the situation). Hope this helps - I know how worrisome this can be. And give Spencer a hug for me.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Sending my many prayers for precious Spencer. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm sorry to hear about this. I dont know the whole backstory, but did you see a neurologist when the first incident happened? Wondering if you got a diagnosis?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Thank you everyone for your concern and prayers. I have an acupuncture appt. set up for Spencer tomorrow and I'm waiting to hear back from the vet regarding Pred. I'll put a link to the backstory of his problems when I get home and find it. I'll post updates as I know them.

Thanks again!

Donna

Sugar had similar back end problems, starting in Sept of last year. Steroids and acupuncture were a huge help, but she did have some relapses (including one right before Thanksgiving last year where I thought I was going to lose her). She also got a couple of Adequan shots. The first was a big help, the second helped, but not as much. We kept up with a regular schedule of acupuncture apts, spreading them further out as time passed, but I think that is ultimately what helped the most, the regular acupuncture. By the beginning of this year, she had very little back end weakness, and that lasted until I unfortunately lost her in July from unrelated causes.

I hope Spencer "bounces" back (not literally!)

Guest HoustonGreys
:hope Prayers for you and Spencer. I am always very hesitant to make suggestions on H&M because I'm NOT a vet and don't want to cause alarm where none is needed. I am this time going to ask if Spencer has been tested for TBD including Babesia. Our sweet Amy had advanced Babesia that went into her central nervous system (she had only been tested for Erlichia). Forgive me if I'm totally off the mark on this but felt like it was best to ask and cover all bases.

Sending well wishes for Spencer. Alan's rear leg weakness and knuckling started again last week. He has an acupuncture appointment tomorrow as well. I hope it works for both our boys!

Guest Spencers_Greyt
:hope Prayers for you and Spencer. I am always very hesitant to make suggestions on H&M because I'm NOT a vet and don't want to cause alarm where none is needed. I am this time going to ask if Spencer has been tested for TBD including Babesia. Our sweet Amy had advanced Babesia that went into her central nervous system (she had only been tested for Erlichia). Forgive me if I'm totally off the mark on this but felt like it was best to ask and cover all bases.

What is TBD? Spencer hasn't been tested for babesia or erlichia. I will ask the vet about this when I speak to him hopefully tonight.

Guest HoustonGreys

What is TBD? Spencer hasn't been tested for babesia or erlichia. I will ask the vet about this when I speak to him hopefully tonight.

Sorry, TBD is just tick borne disease but often they test for erlichia and not babesia --- two different tests. I am praying Spencer will get a good diagnosis and be running around very soon.

There are so many symptoms that are the same for so many different things which make it difficult to pin down sometimes.

Edited by HoustonGreys

My Spencer, wants your Spencer to get all better soon!!!

Well, MY Spencer wants it more! :P But you have greyt taste in names, ya'll!

Mary -- and Spencer and Shane

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest vahoundlover

I know how heartbreaking and scary dealing with backend issues can be. :grouphug Bossy's last 2.5 yrs was spent in an assistance harness, leash walks only, regular acupuncture and quite a few herbs. Sending lots of prayers.

Hugs and prayers for Spencer! :hope:candle:bighug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead