Sammy Has A Foot Strawberry?

Guest kaotic1

Guest kaotic1

A couple of days ago I noticed Sam had a small red spot on his foot (about the size of a pencil eraser) right above the foot pads (not on a part of the foot he walks on) that was red with what looked like specks of ingrown hairs in it. I kina looked like a strawberry with the hair specks. I thought maybe that it was just some ingrown hairs and I put some Hydrogen Peroxide on it. Now two days later short hairs have popped out (boing!) and now it looks like a hairy strawberry. I keep putting hydrogen peroxide on it. It's not getting bigger and it's not getting smaller. It doesn't seem to hurt to push on it or manipulate his leg. He is not limping. He doesn't scratch, sniff or even look at it. I am wondering if it could just be some hairs that got ingrown and infected? Or something else? Any ideas? If i don't see change in a day or too off to the vet he goes!!

Edited by kaotic1

It is probably a wart or something, Iceman has some funny spots that have hairs growing out of them. I would still have it checked by a vet just in case. But I have EVERYTHING checked by a vet, every lump, bump, etc. (but remember I had a cat that died of mast cell cancer so I am super paranoid)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest tricolorhounds

Copper had something that sounds exactly like what you described... in the same spot. I had the Vet check it and it was nothing, went away in a couple of weeks and didn't return.

Maddie has a cyst with some hairs growing out of it. I had the vet check it and that's how I found out it was a cyst - it actually looked like a tick when I first found it. The vet tech also thought it was a tick was well but it was not, just a cyst that has been aspirated.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest garysgreys

I'd have it checked out just to be safe. Paige had a spot on her butt like You described and it turned out to be Hemoangiosarcoma. We got it in time and She has been fine ever since, that was 3 yrs. ago.

It sounds like a Histiocytoma from your description, here is a LINK to a picture and some info. If it is one of these they are usually benign and clear up on their own, but you may want your vet to take a look to put your mind at rest.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest KiKi_Girl

Does it kind of look like rug-burn? KiKi gets this when she gets the zoomies when I come home and she slides around. It does look like a strawberry usually on the inside 1st toe. It goes away...sometimes takes a while when she is full of the zoomies.

Guest kaotic1
Does it kind of look like rug-burn? KiKi gets this when she gets the zoomies when I come home and she slides around. It does look like a strawberry usually on the inside 1st toe. It goes away...sometimes takes a while when she is full of the zoomies.

Yes exactly!! He did do zoomies outdoor the other day and was sliding around abit!! :goodluck Hopefully that is all it is!!

Does it look like this?

DSC02257.jpg

Gracie has had this histiocytoma for years. It comes and goes. Doesn't need treatment.

Still worth having your vet check Sam's "strawberry."

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jettcricket
It is probably a wart or something, Iceman has some funny spots that have hairs growing out of them. I would still have it checked by a vet just in case. But I have EVERYTHING checked by a vet, every lump, bump, etc. (but remember I had a cat that died of mast cell cancer so I am super paranoid)

Yep...have it checked out. It's probably nothing, but like Alisha my Jett died too of mast cell cancer.

It sounds like a Histiocytoma from your description, here is a LINK to a picture and some info. If it is one of these they are usually benign and clear up on their own, but you may want your vet to take a look to put your mind at rest.

My Holly, 9-1/2, just had one pop up on one of her front pads late summer. Took her to the vet and he did a needle aspiration to rule out mast cells or other badness. He concluded it was a histiocytoma, prescribed Animax ointment (which I applied 1x/day for one month). The growth is now much smaller - sort of deflated, if you will - and Holly is fine. Totally unaware of its existence. Not a bad idea to get it checked; just to confirm it's not malignant.

Guest KiKi_Girl

To clarify...KiKi's has never been raised and really just looks more like rug-burn (which I guess technically is what it is) never really raw or circumscribed like the pics above.

• 2 weeks later...
Does it look like this?

DSC02257.jpg

Gracie has had this histiocytoma for years. It comes and goes. Doesn't need treatment.

Still worth having your vet check Sam's "strawberry."

My Lulu had one on the side of her foot. She licked it a little, and in about 2 months it was gone.

My Cali had something on her tail that looked a lot like that and it went away on it's own too, but it bled a couple of times and took about 6 months to dissapear.

These dogs seem to get the strangest growths.

Hope Sammy's goes away quickly!

Guest kaotic1

Well just got back from the Vet and the news is not so good. If my glass is half full Sammy has a histiocytoma but if my glass is half empty it's a mast cell tumor. Based on the location on his foot over the bone the Vet recommended removing it (which i would have had him do anyway). They would have done it today but I also asked for a dental too since one of his teeth definately has a cavity. The will remove that with the growth on next Tuesday.

I absolutely REFUSE to believe this boy has the Big C. He is only 4 YEARS old. I am just not going there... I am not <fingers in ears> la la la... not hearing it! He is a big healthy boy!!! At least that is the story I am telling myself right now. Everybody else needs to beleive that with me!! Please?

Well just got back from the Vet and the news is not so good. If my glass is half full Sammy has a histiocytoma but if my glass is half empty it's a mast cell tumor. Based on the location on his foot over the bone the Vet recommended removing it (which i would have had him do anyway). They would have done it today but I also asked for a dental too since one of his teeth definately has a cavity. The will remove that with the growth on next Tuesday.

I absolutely REFUSE to believe this boy has the Big C. He is only 4 YEARS old. I am just not going there... I am not <fingers in ears> la la la... not hearing it! He is a big healthy boy!!! At least that is the story I am telling myself right now. Everybody else needs to beleive that with me!! Please?

I'm sorry. It's going to be difficult to wait a whole week :( Is that when you'll know for sure what this thing is - when they surgically remove it and do a biopsy?

Sending lots of good thoughts that it's nothing more than a hystiocytoma... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest kaotic1

I'm sorry. It's going to be difficult to wait a whole week :( Is that when you'll know for sure what this thing is - when they surgically remove it and do a biopsy?

Sending lots of good thoughts that it's nothing more than a hystiocytoma... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

:bighug

Yeah he will look at it when they remove it and decide if it needs to be sent on for further analysis. I guess if he were older there would be a greater possiblity he had a mast cell tumor if he were younger it would be very likely the Hystiocytoma but at his age (in between) it really could be either, although i have to beleive it's not the Mast Cell ( for my own sanity). they would do the operation today but I pointed out that he had a cavity (I was going to have a dental soon anyway) and the vet wants him on anitbiotics for the cavity for a few days so we have to wait a week. ICK...

Guest Mommydog

Well I'm pretty sure your glass is half full, but if by some remote chance it turns out to be half empty, then you've caught it very early, right ? And that can only be for the best. It's the waiting that's going to be hard :bighug and scritches for Sammy.

Guest LindsaySF
Well I'm pretty sure your glass is half full, but if by some remote chance it turns out to be half empty, then you've caught it very early, right ? And that can only be for the best.

:nod

:goodluck

Hoping for the best along with you, but I would definitly have whatever it is tested. My vet says anything that comes off a dog, should be checked, just in case.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.