Do Dogs Die From Hge?

This is probably just the paranoid thoughts of a VERY pregnant lady, but has anyone ever heard of a dog actually dying from HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis)? Penny is very sick with it in the hospital right now (see my post in Off Topic) and is being treated aggressively but she's not out of the woods yet and I am so very, very worried about her. I know if left untreated it can be fatal but I am wondering if anyone has lost a pup to this disease while in a doctor's care. I don't know what I will do if something bad happens to Penny; I can't yet make it through a day without crying over Bell multiple times.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Guest jerrybird

I don't have any experience with HGE but I wanted to wish you well and remind you to take care of yourself. We wish you and Penny good thoughts!

Guest SoulsMom

Yes, they do, but usually not after they are being treated. Immediate treatment is the key. Soul and I just went through this and it was terrifying. My thoughts are with you and your girl :grouphug

ETA: Soul wasn't vomiting, just the bloody big D and a lot of it. Once it was pure blood coming out vet said to get him to intensive care NOW. I had no idea he could have died if I tried to wait it out. He was in the hospital for 24hrs on fluids and sent home the next day because he was so stressed out. He was on Flagyl for two weeks and continues on a special diet.

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest VaGreymom

Lots of experience here with HGE. The key is quick treatment. I have not lost one that was under the care of a vet. All three of mine were admitted to the E-VET It is such a scarey thing isn't it? Prayers for your and your little girl. What does your vet say about her condition?

No expereince (thank GOD) but i am thinking about your girl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Just talked to the internist at the hospital-- Penny has stabilized but they don't want to send her home yet as she still won't eat. I am going to go visit her this evening and try to give her some treats. Once she can take food and keep it down she can come home.

The house is too, too quiet with no dogs in it.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Guest SoulsMom

It's probably best that she doesn't eat now anyway. Soul refused food the first day and a half as well. He really felt awful. As I understand it, at LEAST a 24hr hospital stay on meds and fluids is necessary. Soul would have stayed longer but they thought he would do better at home given his stress level.

Hang in there, I was beside my self with worry when Soul was admitted :(

Sending prayers for your sweet baby girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm glad to hear she's stabilized. Take this time to rest yourself. Pretty soon, you'll have lots of noise, from Penny & :baby:) Best wishes for everyone's good health.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greyvettech

We have always sucessfully treated dogs with HGE and they did well....Yes, like some others said, quick effective treatment, is key! I hope she continues to do well...Best of luck to her and you:)

Good news, the internal medicine vet called with another update and she ate a little bit and is keeping it down. They still want to keep her again tonight for monitoring and fluids, though. She should be coming home tomorrow :thumbs-up I am going to leave here in about an hour to go visit her and bring her a dirty t-shirt of mine.

Oh, and the internist has 2 greyhounds of his own so she is in good hands!!

- Mark Twain

Oh, Melissa! I'm so sorry you're going through this. Such a lot to deal with, just being pregnant, and missing your Bell so much. I'll say a prayer for Penny---she's just got to be okay.

Just read the good news. I'm so glad she's coming home!

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I just saw this. I'm so glad she's doing better. Emmy spent 3 days at the vet with HGE but did very well after treatment. Lots of good thoughts headed your way.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee