Neyla Dislocated A Toe On A Back Foot

Well thanks to her obnoxious brother slamming into her at the dog park (yes Zuri, I love you very much but you WERE being obnoxious), Neyla dislocated a toe today. I popped it back into place, but unfortunately it's popped back out twice since we got home.

It's the ouside toe on her GOOD back foot, and it's popping inward so so far wrapping it actually causes it to pop back out, even with cotton stuffed b/w her toes. I talked to my vet, who okayed me giving a coated aspirin to help with the swelling (she's already on Tramadol and can't take NSAIDS) and Turbotaina suggested I might have better success with teh wrapping once the swelling is down so I'll do that plus ice it if she'll let me, but ack!!! This seems like it's going to be a problem, and with her already weight-bearing a lot more heavily on this foot, it's going to likely be painful for her. :(

Anyway, we'd appreciate good thoughts and/or any suggestions for keeping the toe in place. Obviously we'll see our vet if it keeps popping out, but keeping my fingers crossed that by tomorrow it will be staying inh place. :unsure:goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Can you try putting some type of padding between that toe and the next before you wrap it? That might help stabilize the toe. I'm thinking maybe something like a cotton ball.

Rainey just dislocated her front rightend toe twice over the weekend too! :( :( :( I feel for ya!

sending prayers the swelling goes down and you can wrap it!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Can you try putting some type of padding between that toe and the next before you wrap it? That might help stabilize the toe. I'm thinking maybe something like a cotton ball.

That's what I tried, but it didn't work. Possibly not enough cotton, but I'm hesitant to try it again right now. It stayed in place for the rest of the evening and overnight, but the swelling hasn't gone down yet. I'm going to wait until it does and then I may consult my vet about how to wrap it properly so it doesn't happen again. Still keeping my fingers crossed it stays in place.

Rainey just dislocated her front rightend toe twice over the weekend too! :( :( :( I feel for ya!

sending prayers the swelling goes down and you can wrap it!!! :hope :hope :hope

Thanks! I hope Rainey is doing okay!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you need to -- sounds like you don't -- a couple thicknesses of cardboard, like from the back of a notepad, make a dandy splint. Gotta keep it dry tho.

Fingers crossed for your girlie!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My boy Bart has dislocated a toe, I spoke with my chyropractor about the issue, he advised me on how to stimulate the tendons in the toe to get back into alignment. This is what he informed me to do:

1) gently pull the toe outward parallel with the other toes. This will help get the blood flowing as well as starting to align the muscles.

2) rub quite stiffly along both sides of the toe from medial to distal (top of toe where it connects to the foot, down to the nail part). Yes you do have to apply a lot of pressure. Do not manipulate spirally around the toe (wrapping around the toe). What this does to help re-align the tendons that hold everything in place.

I did this twice a day for two weeks after he dislocated the toe and the swelling went down and havent really noticed any more limping or problems. I did notice a bit of swelling a few days ago, but no limping.

Chad

Oh Jen, I'm sorry to hear about Neyla's toe. I certainly understand toe issues given Mandy's bad feet. When I had to try and ice her foot, I took about 1/2 cup of frozen peas, put them in a plastic bag, wrapped it around her foot, secured it with surgical tape and a toddler sock...leave it on for about 20 minutes, take it off for about 20, then repeat. Of course, this required the "what did I do to make you hate me so much look."

Sending good thoughts for Neyla.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Poor baby- how is she today?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Poor baby- how is she today?

Well the toe has remained in place, but it's still swollen. She seemed a little slower on our bathroom walk this morning, but otherwise she's doing fine. I'm still giving her 2 low-dose aspirin twice a day, which is only the equivalent of 1/2 of an adult aspirin each time. I may go back to giving 4 2x/day if the swelling doesn't seem to be going down. She did let me ice her foot without much complaint.

Thanks for checking in!

Any thoughts on whether/when I should take her to the vet if the swelling doesn't go down, assuming the toe does continue to stay in place? Realistically I probably couldn't take her until Monday unless I felt it warranted an e-vet trip so I'm thinking if it hasn't gone down by then, I'll make the appt?

Our Ajay dislocated his two inside toes on his left front foot Sunday! They also continued to go back out of place after pulling them back in place. Our vet x-rayed the foot (just to confirm that nothing was broken) and we were told to keep him off it as much as possible (to keep the toes in place) until the swelling goes down. Then we can wrapped the two toes together and tape them to the two good toes. Maybe a trip to the vet wouldn't hurt if the swelling doesn't go down just to make sure there are no breaks. I'll be hoping for the best for Nelya and I sure know what you are going through! Good luck!

So the swelling has not gone down yet. She seems to be back to weight-bearing on that foot again, but since it's a non-weight bearing toe that dislocated that doesn't mean all that much to me. So I guess it's time to schedule a vet visit. I hate this, as my vet has difficulty getting x-rays of Neyla's back feet (she gets scared, freezes up and they can't get her in the right position). Last time they wanted to anesthetize her, which I found ridiculous, so I've been taking her to her orthopedist for follow-up x-rays of her funky toe at nearly twice the price per x-ray unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll take her in and have my vet give it a shot. If they aren't successful, I guess it's off to the orthopedist again. My poor girl. :(

Guest xandersmom
So the swelling has not gone down yet. She seems to be back to weight-bearing on that foot again, but since it's a non-weight bearing toe that dislocated that doesn't mean all that much to me. So I guess it's time to schedule a vet visit. I hate this, as my vet has difficulty getting x-rays of Neyla's back feet (she gets scared, freezes up and they can't get her in the right position). Last time they wanted to anesthetize her, which I found ridiculous, so I've been taking her to her orthopedist for follow-up x-rays of her funky toe at nearly twice the price per x-ray unfortunately.

Anyway, I'll take her in and have my vet give it a shot. If they aren't successful, I guess it's off to the orthopedist again. My poor girl. :(

Poor Neyla girl. I hope you can get this figured out without too many x-rays.