Post Amp Concerns

Guest ejw

Jamaica is 8 days post op from amputation. So far things have gone relatively well. She gets up and down the back door steps, wanders the yard and does her business unassisted. But, there are a few concerns.

She experiences bouts of pain when starting to get up, moving position, and "running" in her sleep, that have her crying like she got hit by a car. When it happens when she is running in her sleep, she wakes up with a most frightened look that breaks my heart. It takes a while to settle back down. Massaging her hindquarters seems to help somewhat. She gets a Percocet every 8 hours. She's supposed to go to 2 a day in 2 days.

Other concerns are eating and depression. She eats a good supper and breakfast but needs encouragement, and is not interested in most treats. This is not like her -- anything edible usually gets snarffed down in seconds. There are times when she shows no interest at all in things she used to get excited about -- like when the grandkids come. (She is not being self-protective here. The girls are very good at giving her space and being gentle.) It just feels like a lot ot the time the spark has gone out of her life.

Any ideas would help from those who have experienced anything similar. Is this just a post op phase and how long can it last? I miss my happy, glad-to-greet-the-world girl. :weep Thanks.

Guest IrskasMom

I have No Advice . There are a few GTers who have firsthand Experience RobinM and EmbersDad. I am sure they will

have plenty Advice . From here an abundance of Hugs and Kisses for Jamaica :grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2:grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest vahoundlover

I don't have any experience but I know others who do will chime in. :grouphug

Nutritional yeast has helped quite a few puppers on here with their appetite. If she's not on any pain meds, maybe she should be??? If it's phantom pain send OSU an email and ask them for some advice.

Keeping you guys in my prayes.

When Snickers came home after a front leg amputation, she had a really rough time. She had horrible screaming fits and would sit on a cushion in a room far away from everyone else. For the first few days home, she would repeatedly look at where her missing leg should have been and look bewildered. I posted here asking about the phantom pain and screaming fits because it broke my heart. I can't remember who long it lasted, but I massaged her neck and she'd stand next to me for long stretches just enjoying the massage. Her neck must have been stiff and sore from her new gait. It also could have been phantom pain. I got lots of advice here, too. Some suggested that her pain meds (Tramadol) can affect greyhounds oddly. I'm not sure about Percocet. It seemed like the longest time before she bounced back to her old happy self but it did eventually happen, maybe within a few weeks.

I'd ask your vet or OSU for advice. It could be that the pain meds aren't covering the pain, or there's a reaction to them. At least from my experience, I think they go through a rough patch just after the surgery. Hang in there. :grouphug :grouphug I"m sure Jamaica will turn the corner very soon.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest EmbersDad

all that sounds pretty normal to me. ember behaved much the same. she never cried out, but she would just stand up for no reason in the middle of the night and begin to pant. there were other times she would just stand there and pant. i took it for pain. she was off her food for a bit, but it all came back. i know its rough and scary right now, but soon you will amazed at how quick jamaica bounces back. ember had a fentanyl patch for the first 5 days and was on tramadol the entire time. it did seem to help. most of her problems started once the patch was removed. i even thought i would lose her. she didnt want to get up at all one day, then that evening was back to eating, and then playing the next day. hang in there, jamaica needs you to stay strong. it will get better. im sure robinm will pretty much echo these thoughts. her polli had it much worse, but she is on the mend as well.

I started this thread on day 8 after Polli's amp.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=213342

We are at week 5 and she has had 2 chemos. The first 4 days after chemo is rough but other than that, my Polli is baaaaaaaaaaak.

IT WILL GET BETTER!!! Read through the thread. I think you will see a lot of the same things.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Sending prayers for your sweet baby. As you read through the posts of others who have walked in your shoes...may you see hope and joy in the days to come...it's just around the corner and things will get better soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

Aerosmom, did Snickers scream and wake up from sleep? Jamaica is looking for neck massages way more than she used to, so maybe there is something to what you said about stiffness and soreness due to her new gait.

During the day, once she is up, she is fine; it's the initial moves and the dream running that set it off. What worries me is the screams are getting predominant -- I can't figure out what instigates the worst times, except that they mostly happen at night. She looks about like an animal cornered and certain of eminent death.

I'm not so worried about the depression; I know it will take time for her world to re-organize itself. It's the screaming that worries me most and I feel rotten that there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent it. The vets I talked to all seem to say, "That's normal" but I think "They haven't heard her!" I don't know what to think, and I am so tired from being woken often every night. I just don't get it; other than these bouts she is progressing so nicely.

I found a way to tempt her to eat more, once I get her up and moving: something called "Dog Desserts". So far they are all enjoying carrot cake.

We briefly had a recent amputee houseguest. She was @ 10 days - 2 weeks post amp and would shriek when getting up. Don't know if it was pain or confusion or fear; she did have some pain meds. Once she was up on her feet she was fine. She stopped doing it at some point but I don't know when. And yeah, it was enough to stop your heart.

Hang in there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hugs for you and Jamaica as you work through this transitional period. I hope it gets better for all of you soon. :kiss2:grouphug

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Sending an abundance of healing thoughts and hugs to both Jamaica and you. Stay strong for her she's going to need that from you.

Just a thought, but I've heard that homeopathic Boneset is suppose to be very good at eliminating phantom pains for amputees. You could check into this and ask your vet if it would be alright for her.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.

Aerosmom, did Snickers scream and wake up from sleep? Jamaica is looking for neck massages way more than she used to, so maybe there is something to what you said about stiffness and soreness due to her new gait.

During the day, once she is up, she is fine; it's the initial moves and the dream running that set it off. What worries me is the screams are getting predominant -- I can't figure out what instigates the worst times, except that they mostly happen at night. She looks about like an animal cornered and certain of eminent death.

I'm not so worried about the depression; I know it will take time for her world to re-organize itself. It's the screaming that worries me most and I feel rotten that there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent it. The vets I talked to all seem to say, "That's normal" but I think "They haven't heard her!" I don't know what to think, and I am so tired from being woken often every night. I just don't get it; other than these bouts she is progressing so nicely.

I found a way to tempt her to eat more, once I get her up and moving: something called "Dog Desserts". So far they are all enjoying carrot cake.

I think it was a few moments after standing up. For instance, if someone came to the door, she'd get there and then start screaming when someone went to pet her. It scared people to death. I felt so bad because I felt like I had made her life horrible. It might not have been just neck pain, but she really wanted the massages. It's so hard but there really is light at the end of the tunnel. Give Jamaica a big hug (and a neck massage).

Here's the link when it was occuring:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...amp;hl=Snickers

And here's the link when she improved:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...amp;hl=Snickers

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=