Shanti's Results Are In

Shanti went in for 90 day VF titer and Babesia titer recheck. I will start off with the good news. Her Babesia titer dropped! She was 1:80 last November. Now she is 1:40. YEAH!

Now for the bummer and confusion. Her Valley Fever IGG titer was 1:32. It has not changed. Worse and what is throwing even my vet is her IGM titer went from negative to positive. It is now 1:2. :( I guess what that typically means is there is a new infection going. From how it was explained to me is the IGG is the "mature" organisms. The IGM is the "baby" organisms. So WTH? The lab she used for it specializes in VF. I asked about sending it to another lab if that might make a difference. She did not think so. She is going to call and talk to them to see if their testing changed or what might be causing this.

We also discussed Shanti's leg and lack of use. We doubt she will ever get use back. There are 2 options. Arthrodesis and amputation. She is not a candidate for either at the moment, and may not ever be.

So needless to say, I did not sleep last night. :( We will keep plugging away at this. When the vet finds out more from the lab, then we will decide how to proceed. More medication or different medication.

The Girls

The lab work really took a long time to come back! It all sounds so confusing. I sure hope you get some answers. Shanti is always in my prayers. She's a very special girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BlackandBrindle

This was not the news we were hoping for. :grouphug

I'm wondering if another med might be more effective?

Shanti is always in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there Jenny. It has to get better :grouphug

Sending more prayers. :grouphug I hope they can get to the bottom of what is going on. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

We were so hoping you would have better news - I hope your vet can find some answers with a med change. And why is she not using her leg - I think I missed something there? Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and sending lots of scritches for your pack.

We were so hoping you would have better news - I hope your vet can find some answers with a med change. And why is she not using her leg - I think I missed something there? Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers and sending lots of scritches for your pack.

Her right front "ankel" has been a issue for about 2 years. We have done several joint taps. Treated for IMPA which kicked off the staph infection. Dealing with that is how we also found the Babesia and VF. The problem is the joint damage is done already and does not appear to be reversing. She has lost a great deal of mobility in it. It can bend maybe 45 degrees now. She will not weight bear on it and has not put any weight on it in over a year. But, she can get around still. It just appears we are not going to fix this 100% and she will probably be on pain killers for it forever. :(

This picture shows how she always is. Right leg up. She hopes around like a tripod would. But she does touch it to the ground when laying down only for balance.

DSC01160.jpg

Edited by ShantisMom

The Girls

Dang.....I was hoping for better news. We'll be keeping her and you in our thoughts.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I always keep an eye out for a Shanti update :rolleyes: . Couldn't help but think how strange it is that my IMPA angel Savannah also had a problem with her front leg, however we were able to see what appeared to be a tiny circular mark on one of her paw pads and the toe joint above was inflamed. I thought perhaps something had entered her foot and spent many sleepless nights thinking perhaps it was the sharp end of some mulch we had put down but all the vets said no. At the end, my vets decided she may have had a hidden cancer vs the IMPA dx that the neuro gave us. I still cry when I think of her dear little sheltie face, hardly a day goes by that I don't think of her. Give Shanti a big hug from me, she is so blessed to have you. anne

Guest argolola

Oh Jenny. I'm sorry the reports weren't what we were hoping for, but at least there was some good news. Shanti is in my prayers. Please keep us posted on what the lab says to the vet.

We love you Shanti.