So Far No Luck Wth Eating- Day 4

RobinM

Yeah, she had a some chicken breast last night but nothing but 9 zuke cookies and 1/2 milkbone today.

I bought rotisierre chicken- no interest.

I made "fat balls" - no interest

Burpdog biscuits- no interest.

OVer the last 4 days and beyond I have tried EVERYTHING in the world. Being that when things were greyt, the only thing she would ever eat was her kibble with tripe, Purina one wet or chicken. Now is not the time where she is going to change the menu.

I am going to have to bring her into the vet tomorrow for blood work to make sure her WBC and kidneys are OK with the chemo.

Sigh. :(

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am sorry to hear this. It is so hard with a PITA eater on a good day. I will keep her in our prayers. She will eat, she needs to eat. Can the vet give her something in a IV to keep her calories up? I hate to think that path, but maybe that gets you through this rough spot.

The Girls

So try the granola bar? :lol {{{{{{{{{{Robin}}}}}}}}}}

A little serious, tho. When B was sick, the darnedest things sometimes caught his appetite-attention. Some oddball things he liked (not just when he was sick) were ginger snaps, cinnamon bread, hardboiled eggs (the smell of them boiling would almost get him to drool and he was not a drooling dog). And when he got sick, those spaghettios, lean cuisine sesame chicken, processed cheese slices, etc. And of course our standbys, "anything with molasses and/or vanilla ice cream." Yes, I served my dog warm Tripett with vanilla ice cream on top and a side of scrambled eggs ......... Some of the lightly sweetened cereals like Quaker Oat Squares might be worth a shot. They're crunchy and pack a reasonable number of calories.

If there's any place she'll happily stay for a bit, where the other dogs can't participate -- ex pen? -- you might just lay out some different things on a cookie sheet, so they don't get mixed together, and let her contemplate them for awhile.

You can also get some high-cal nutritional pastes, like Dyne, that you can squirt at the back of her tongue or rub a blob on her gums (along the back molars is good, hard to spit out back there).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmilyAnne

First of all, know that we will never tire of offering you support and advice. We very much want to be here for you through this difficult time.

And with that, let me say I don't think I can top Batmom's suggestions. Ice cream, tripe and scrambled eggs. Hmmmm... :puke for us, :chow for most hounds. :lol

:bighug

Come on Polli, eat and get strong. We are all rooting for you!

Guest PiagetsMom

Good luck at the vet tomorrow, Robin. Sending good thoughts for Polli that the bloodwork comes back okay and hopefully the vet can either give you something else to help you out, or Polli decides she's hungry tomorrow. :grouphug

Guest sidewaysfallin

Have you tried actually putting the food in her mouth? Sophie is my PITA eater, and often, I have to put the food in her mouth before the lightbulb turns on and she realizes she is hungry/wants to eat. Other than that, just sending some good vibes your way!

Guest MrsDooLittle

I know you've probably already tried it, but what about baby food? Canned chicken? Mine seem to go ape when they smell the canned chicken even moreso than baked or boiled chicken. I love eating a can of chicken as a snack and I usually have at least four eyes watching my every bite.

Someone mentioned putting the food in her mouth. I've had to do that with my Mr Green Jeans sometimes when he turns his nose up at his food. I rub a little on his lips and although he gives me a terribly dirty look, it often causes him to have a little interest in his food.

I feel your pain and hope your baby begins to eat soon. Is there any type of appetite stimulant that your vet could perhaps prescribe on a temporary basis?

Sending healthy vibes your way.....

Cindy

Right now she is sitting with a granola bar, a towel of shredded chicken, a towel of tripe and a towel of fat balls.

There is a zuke in the middle.

She is looking in the opposite direction. This is all on MY BED. Nice, huh?

The other 3 wouldn't think about taking her food. Well, they probably think about it but won't.

i don't know whether I want to cry or put my fist through the wall. The frustration is mind boggling.

Yet, we are still singing to her. Tonight's song is Hello Polli to the tune of... Hello Dolly.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest D_MansMommy

Robin still no suggestions but more hugs for you and Polli :grouphug Oh I just thought about this. Someone here said their pups love spam. I know it's gross and stuff but heck it is some sort of food.

Guest tricolorhounds

Does she show any interest in eating what you are eating? One bite for me, one for you kinda thing...

How much exercise is she getting?

:grouphug... I know how frustrating and scary it is

no she is interested in anything we have ever eaten and she is getting 2 walks a day. .5 each time. She goes out back the rest of the time.

Have 10 jars of baby food. not interested.

Off to the vet tomrrow.

Robin,

I hope all goes well at the Vet tomorrow. Maybe they can help you out with this NOT eating thing. Not to be silly.....but have you tried Mac and Cheese? Maybe with bits of hot dog in it? I'm just trying to think of what might get her interest. Although the tripe with a side of eggs sounded yummy(if I were a hound). We're all pulling for Miss Polli! Come on Polli......EAT for Mommy. :)

I know how hard it is. No new ideas...the only thing I can offer once again ~ is to get a script for generic Zofran for nausea...and a script for Remeron to stimulate her appetite. These both worked for us with Angel LaceyLaine when she was on chemo and Oncology was quick to recommend both for Lacers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

OK- we have an update.

Let me tell you all what happened. I was starting to clean up and went down to the fridge to start putting everything away. I opened the fridge and one of the side shelves somehow fell out and hit the floor taking with it... a full jar of spagetti sauce, a full bottle of wheat germ (bought tonight) a full jar of chopped garlic, plus other tasty things. It all broke.

First of all, my house keeper was her today. 2ndly, my tile floor as much as I love it, I hate it. It has 1/2 inch grooves so things like the wheat germ mixed with the sauce and garlic was a real joy to get out of there.

I wanted to throw myself in the canal (out back). But I didn't!

While I was cleaning this disaster and I do mean disaster, guess who decided to eat?

Her menu for tonight (Batmom will appreciate this)

3.5 quaker bars

about a cup of chicken breast

4 chicken jerky.

I am happy she has something in her. I am still taking her in tomorrow which I hate to do to her because it is so very very stressful for her but I need to be sure all is OK with her.

When I first got Puzzle (my iggy), he was SO terrified of everything that he absolutely would not eat anything.He would be interested, but hear the littlest noise and spook. This went on for months and it got to the point where he was scary skinny. I literally had to put the food in the back of his throat and shut his mouth, like I was pilling him. A lot of the time once he got a little bit of food in his stomach, it seemed to stimulate his appetite enough to get him to eat some on his own. Satin balls are great for this method.

Just some thoughts... I am hoping that Ms. Polli starts eating more regularly. I know how stressful it can be. I have been thinking of you guys and will continue to look for updates :grouphug

Edited by RileysMomma

Guest Hollys2hounds

Robin---

No advice, but know our thoughts are with you all!

Good luck at the vet. I will be looking for an update while I am at work....(shhhh... don't tell my boss.)

For now hugs all around... :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

We are still praying and thinking about Miss Polli!!!! :grouphug :grouphug :hope :hope :candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Glad to hear that Miss Polli ate something! Momma has lots of good eats... chow down little girl. :chow:kiss2

Sorry about that kitchen spill. Sounds like it was dreadful. :(

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm glad to hear that she finally ate something!

I understand your frustration. I just wish I had some new ideas for you.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest IrskasMom

Robin... we are so here for you and know ( we think ) how you are feeling . First ....this are our Babies and want them

to be alright . Batmom summed it up quiet well ,at this point in the game anything will do , that has some nutritional

Value . I can offer only Hugs and good thoughts ,you and Polli are in my Prayers :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Wishing you and Polli a better day today. I know eating has been hard but I am concerned about her fluid intake. I went back through the posts but could not find anything. Sometimes people use Pedialyte instead of water. Your Vet may also carry Enteral care a liquid food. Sorry about your kitchen spill, that extra stress you did not need.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~