I Has A Broken Toe...

100_3710.jpg

It is my most outside toe that I don't put any weight on. It happened 3 days ago and I is goin' crazy cuz I can't go on walks :angry: with my mom and foster brudder. I am wonderin' when I might be able to go on walks again. Does any buddy know how long it takes to get better when you has a toe like this? Thanks.

Halle

S.jpg

Guest zoolaine

Poor baby - Zali broke her toe and was supposed to be "quite" for 4 weeks. Of course at 6 months old she has no idea what that word means but after a few days you wouldn't even know it was broken. We did not go with a splint since she is still growing. I hear you have to be careful if you do have the splint.

Halle is going to go back to the vet and get a check this Friday. I guess I am concerned about the splint too. I wonder if it does more harm than good? They are going to check her for pressure sores, but it seems as if it is a toe that she doesn't really bear weight on, why can't they just wrap it and let her walk? She is slipping all over the floor with the wrapping on, and I just don't know how rambunctious she should be or not be. She is a very high energy dog, and she is going bonkers.

S.jpg

Guest dwolfe711

Deers Halle -

Well, I feels your pain an frustration - cause see - I habs a dislocated toe right now - and I habs a cast just like yours. I habed it for three weeks now - da vet said maybe it can come off next week - but I tink a broked toe bees worse dan a dislocated toe - my buddy Troy broked his toe dis summer an I tink he had to wear his cast for like 6 or 8 weeks!! Sorry - didna mean to bum youse out wit dis information!! I hopes youse toe heals all better soon!

Here's a picture ub me wit my cast - note da happy look on my face - NOT!! I just camed in from outside so I habs my plastic bag on my cast in dis picture. I also habs my sling on dat lets Mom an Dad help me gets up and down - but I's not needin dat sling no more - I can get up and down jus fine by myself, thank you!!

Apollocastsmall.jpg

Lubs, Apollo

P.S. - I's an ole guy who's 12 years old - I's not habin any trouble wit da "not too active" part - but I guess for a youngin, it would be tough!!

Edited by dwolfe711

Deers Halle -

Well, I feels your pain an frustration - cause see - I habs a dislocated toe right now - and I habs a cast just like yours. I habed it for three weeks now - da vet said maybe it can come off next week - but I tink a broked toe bees worse dan a dislocated toe - my buddy Troy broked his toe dis summer an I tink he had to wear his cast for like 6 or 8 weeks!! Sorry - didna mean to bum youse out wit dis information!! I hopes youse toe heals all better soon!

Here's a picture ub me wit my cast - note da happy look on my face - NOT!! I just camed in from outside so I habs my plastic bag on my cast in dis picture. I also habs my sling on dat lets Mom an Dad help me gets up and down - but I's not needin dat sling no more - I can get up and down jus fine by myself, thank you!!

Apollocastsmall.jpg

Lubs, Apollo

P.S. - I's an ole guy who's 12 years old - I's not habin any trouble wit da "not too active" part - but I guess for a youngin, it would be tough!!

Deer Apollo,

I haz to hab the plastic bag too, and I hate et! Hab you not been on a walk fer three weeks? I em so berry sorry. Did yer frend Troy not to get his walks fer 8 or so weeks? I am not likin dis news....but I hope you get yur cast off and are gettin' to go on walks soon.

Yur Frend,

Halle

Edited by Shaysmom
S.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

I'm curious, how do these toes get broken?

Hoping for speedy recovery of all broken toes of GT. I cant imagine if I couldnt walk Henry for that long!

I'm curious, how do these toes get broken?

Hoping for speedy recovery of all broken toes of GT. I cant imagine if I couldnt walk Henry for that long!

I am not sure how Halle broke her toe. I let the two pups out at 6 am Friday morning. It was dark, and I couldn't really keep track of all they were doing. When they came back in, Halle was acting very subdued, which I thought was odd, but it wasn't until after she ate her breakfast that I noticed she was limping. When I looked at her foot, it was very swollen, and her little toe was splayed away from the rest of her foot. I imagine that she was running and caught it on something? That is what it looked like. The vet said that greyhounds break their toes more because their toes are so long. Not sure if that is true.

As far as walking, I don't think she really understands why she can't go. I know that I feel completely awful when I go out the door to walk Seamus without her. I had to put away all the toys because she loves to race around with them, and the vet said to keep her "quiet."

S.jpg

Dere Halle

I hads a broke toe in da spring but I hads to hab it ampumatated. It tuk onee 2 weeks for my surguree to heal up reel gud, but da stoopid splint gabs me sorz on odder parts ob my foots. Dat tuk a hole munth to git bedder and I hads to go to da surgergee docter ebberee week to get ma bannage changed. Dis is KNOT a gud piktshur obs my bannages:

2469111130013527144S425x425Q85.jpg

I cudnt go fur walks or do zoomz either, but I lernd myself how to hop on 3 legs. I cud go reelee fast dat way an it dint slow me down at all! I cud ebben go up an down da inside stairs jes like regularly. Ebben after I gots my bannages off I still hopped on 3 legs cuz it was fun an I got used to it so gud. Maybe yu shud lern yurself how to hop!

Maybe yur Momma shud talk to yur docter about gettin a diffrent kind ob bannage so dat yu can walk more bedder. Iffen yus don habs any paining in da toe sumting smaller might be jes as gud.

Da Dude :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Maggie dislocated her hind foot outer toe this fall too. Tried the splint which did not work well for her~pressure sore in one day so vet took it off. Then tried the soft wrap which drove her crazy~she was gnawing at it so I took it off within a day and again another pressure sore. this was not going to work for Maggie. So I leash walked her even in the house at meal time when she goes crazy running all over, leash walked her out to potty, and put a thera paw boot on her injured foot. She also is a very high energy hound so we began walking her short distances and gradually worked up. Always with the therapaw boot on when on the walks or car rides so she didn't tweak it. Long story short, the toe healed up just fine in several weeks and has not been an issue since. The splints and soft wraps are fine but they just weren't going to work for Maggie and I was very concerned over the pressure sores that seem so common with these cases.

Maggie dislocated her hind foot outer toe this fall too. Tried the splint which did not work well for her~pressure sore in one day so vet took it off. Then tried the soft wrap which drove her crazy~she was gnawing at it so I took it off within a day and again another pressure sore. this was not going to work for Maggie. So I leash walked her even in the house at meal time when she goes crazy running all over, leash walked her out to potty, and put a thera paw boot on her injured foot. She also is a very high energy hound so we began walking her short distances and gradually worked up. Always with the therapaw boot on when on the walks or car rides so she didn't tweak it. Long story short, the toe healed up just fine in several weeks and has not been an issue since. The splints and soft wraps are fine but they just weren't going to work for Maggie and I was very concerned over the pressure sores that seem so common with these cases.

I am worried about pressure sores too. Where do you get a Therapaw boot?

S.jpg

Guest Winterwish

Thera-paws are so good Shaysmom. Just keep in mind if you get them,when ordering the price is for one thera-paw. Sending get well wishes out to Halle! She's adorable! :wub:

Guest dwolfe711

We have no idea how Apollo dislocated his toe, either. He was laying down for a few hours on a Saturday and when he stood up he cried out and would not put any weight on the foot and layed back down. We tried to see what the problem was and he tried to stand again - same results. When we realized it was his toe, DH maneuvered it a bit so that it wasn't bent under the pad anymore until we could get to the vet. He had an open wound on the inside of the toe and the torn ligament was visible - he had to have done it running in the yard - but we do not know how.

Apollo's had his splint/cast for three weeks now - we have had no problems with sores other than the one that he started with. Everything is healing nicely and he has not gotten any sores from wearing it. We've had it changed three times the first week and two times the second week and now he will have it changed once this week on Friday - then probably get it off next week. We have been warned by the vet, however, that it may keep dislocating and if it does we will need to amputate - keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn't!!

Donna

Guest TheDoggfather

Is it actually the TOE is broke or is it up higher on the foot... imagine if it were your toe/foot. Would it be just the toe or the long bone(s) on the top of the foot?

If it's just the toe...and as you stated, it's an outside, non-weight bearing toe... then it's no big deal. Matter of fact, I wouldn't keep a splint or anything on it; just limit her activity for a couple days till she stops limping.

If it's up higher on the foot... it's more then likely a quarterbone fracture. And that'll take some time to heal. Again, I probably wouldn't dress it at all.. or even splint it. Just really really limit her activity. We've had several racers who've cracked/broke a q-bone and have come back to racing and haven't even missed a beat.

Is it actually the TOE is broke or is it up higher on the foot... imagine if it were your toe/foot. Would it be just the toe or the long bone(s) on the top of the foot?

If it's just the toe...and as you stated, it's an outside, non-weight bearing toe... then it's no big deal. Matter of fact, I wouldn't keep a splint or anything on it; just limit her activity for a couple days till she stops limping.

If it's up higher on the foot... it's more then likely a quarterbone fracture. And that'll take some time to heal. Again, I probably wouldn't dress it at all.. or even splint it. Just really really limit her activity. We've had several racers who've cracked/broke a q-bone and have come back to racing and haven't even missed a beat.

The vet let me see the xray, and it was definitely her toe--broken clean through diagonally. I was wondering if she really needs a splint since it is a toe she doesn't really put weight on. The bandage over the splint makes the floor slippery for her, and she moves in a very awkward fashion that makes me nervous. It seems like she has potential to strain something if she loses her footing and her leg goes the wrong way. She is supposed to go back this Friday for a re-check. I think I will ask about possibly not having the splint.

Thanks!

S.jpg