Lexie Still Moosh Poops

lexie was back from the kennel a month ago. her stools were diarrhea thought from stress or something she picked up. Vet gave her an antibiotic which seemed to help. then it came back. he gave her more antibiotics which didnt help this time. then tried panacour which did nothing. He is going to try albon now. anyone ever use albon? She use to poop three times a day now only twice and it is all mush and a different color, light brownish not blood but reddish brown itf that makes sense. We have had her on a bland diet over a week now of chicken rice potatoe no fat sirloin and bil jac. I am really concerned. Could her stomach not be digesting right or would it be in the intestines part. We are going aeay in 8 days so we are concerned. ty

worried momma

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

It doesnt look like blood in the stools. just like brownish red if that makes sense. I have colitis and know when i have blood in stools but maybe it is different for dogs? sorry so gross..lol.. all i do is talk about poop all day..lol

vet should get screening back on wed. he sent it out this time so more detailed

Guest SoulsMom

"Brownish red" That is the color of the poop? Or is that color streaked in? Has the vet done a rectal exam? That is how Tufts found the blood in Soul's stool, even though it was not yet visible in his deposits.

How long have you been done with the Panacur? It took Soul at least 4 days for his poops to firm up again after the meds were completed. To help him along I added Greek style yogurt and pumpkin to his kibble.

off panacur 4 days..vet didnt do a rectal and the poop is not streaked...lol...dont mean to lol but all i do is talk poop all day. It is so frustrating. I know my gut feeling says something is really wrong. She is playful and happy otherwise which is good. I got the albon from the vet today. it is s asulfa drug. he said to try that 6 days if that doesnt work he wants her to get a colonoscopy. We are going out of town next week so we prob would have to wait on the colonsopy till we get back. I feel bad leaving her at the kennel. My folks offered to come and watch her but they are in their late 70's and couldnt walk her. I dont want them to worry about her while they watch her. Poor dog is a fraidy cat and we are having our roof redone this week so she is hiding in her cage cause of all the noise. hat cant help her stomach any better :(

Guest SoulsMom

Have you put her on a bland diet to try and clear things up? Soul was on boiled meat and rice for almost a week, and then I started adding his kibble back into his diet.

Sierra had diarrhea all summer. Her poo started off with a brownish liquid poo. The vet thought she had a bacterial infection so she put her on Flagyl. She continued to have diarrhea, we treated and checked for worms, Giardia, IBS, Colitis. She lost a bunch of weight 10 lbs. After about 3 months of no clue what this dog had, we checked for an infectious disease. Has your vet maybe thought this is a tick disease? Histoplasmosis, Valley Fever? Just bringing some ideas to thought here. I was floored when Sierra's diarrhea was more than diarrhea.

Guest SoulsMom

I know Soul gets soft stools on some meds (like antibiotics and Panacur). Might be worth it to follow Burpdogs advice before starting any new medication and and then if they are still soft go from there . . .

ok i will keep with the diet. she does look so thin. i gave her more bil jac but seems like the more food i give the worse the dierrhea gets like more watery? does that make sense? could she all of a sudden develop an allergy? maybe i should try the bil jac when my colitis acts up..rofl..i have to laugh cause i am so down about this. I can see all her ribs like when we first brought her home a year and a half ago. My neighbors probably think I am starving her to be anorexic..lol

ty all for helping, sorry ..i hope i dont seem like a bother

Guest SoulsMom

Has she been weighed to see how much she has lost?

(if it makes you feel any better, you can always see Soul's ribs, even when he's at 82lbs. Don't know why :dunno)

ETA: what does the vet say the sulfa drug will do for her? As suggested running a tick panel might be a good idea. And Soul had a set back this weekend when I gave him a little bit of sardines in his food to celebrate a birthday. Right back to upset tummy and the Big D for a day. Now he's back on his yummy mix of kibble, yogurt, and pumpkin and giving me firm poops.

Edited by SoulsMom

maybe soul does that on purpose so he get get his yummy pumpkin..lol,,,i think the vet is just trying it as a last resort before a colonoscopy..we get the poop test back wed that he sent out so maybe we will see what that shows.

i guess i was hoping for a quick fix cause we are going out of town end of next week :(

can i ship lexie up to MA..soul likes company right? lol

Eukanuba Low-res or Hills ZD can do wonders for bad poops caused by IBD or allergies. Worth a try since the Bil Jac and home-cooked bland diets didn't work.

Have you tried tylosin/Tylan? Another great drug for the big D. So is Entocort , pricey though it is. You still have options and I'm sure you'll hit on the right one soon.

Marcia

Guest SoulsMom

Soul would LOVE the company, and hey~I'm used to pudding poo after this past month. I hope she improves before you have to leave, that would really make me nervous too . . . .

Before doing anything invasive, make sure the vet runs full bloodwork, urinalysis, tli/pli/cobolamine folate, and sudan fat. Also, have a fecal done with the sample spun down and prepped carefully. Idexx has a test for giardia that catches it at least as much if not more often than a fecal float. Has a Gram stain been done? I wouldn't do any invasive procedures until these diagnostics have been done.

Lynn

We tried the bland diet, special diet ID and then switched her medication to Sulphasulizine. She still had something more than a diarrhea issue. I hope your vet offers more testing. I would also hold off on a colonscopy. Were still treating for histo, but Sierra is making ground on her poos. Not all diets work for all dogs either. Since the infection is getting under control, her poos are becoming more normal. Sierra also had a half dozen rectal exams done, everything was negative. Are there any other symptoms besides weight loss and diarrhea? After we got her diagnosis, it all made sense of the other symptoms present: anorexia, no appetite, dry rough coat, diarreha, lethargic, slimy greasy, bloody poos equaled histo in our case. Sierra's poos did firm up even when she had the awful D with ProPlan Sensative Skin and Stomach.

Sure hope they get an idea what this is.

Edited by stlgrey

What antibiotic did the vet give her, and for how long?

What were you feeding her when all this started?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sirsmom

I know some people whose dogs with irritable bowels do really well (like in 3 days) on Science Diet sensitive stomach formulation, started out in small amounts.